What's new
What's new

OT- To my friends in the UK: How much is a pint?

Gordon Heaton

Titanium
Since a 'cup' of coffee can be much less or much more than 8oz., how much beer do you get when you go to the pub for a 'pint'?
(Yes, its a slow day today!)

Never been to an English pub and in all probability, I never will. But I can't wait to see the answers to this one.

I think you rattled a cage.

In England, a pint is half of an Imperial quart, or 1/8 of an Imperial gallon. A pint is a big glass. I never wanted more than a half of bitter, but I could down a pint of cider.

One Imperial gallon is approximately 1.2 US Gallons. It follows that one Imperial pint is approximately 1.2 US pints.

Larry

A proper measured pint is two cups, sixteen fluid ounces.

Back in the old days when my parents would go to the bar in Canada - British commonwealth, the amount of a drink was taken very seriously.

The glasses were standardized govt inspected and marked with the pint graduation.

If they foamed it and it wasn't up to the line, you could complain for being short changed.

Of course this is all in Imperial gallons, ounces your American gallon is a rip off.

If they foamed it and it wasn't up to the line, you could complain for being short changed.

Additional question to a UK beer expert.

What is the deal with tilting the glass to get the correct amount of foam? Does foam consumption give you a better heat-on.
I remember a work buddy said that slurping up the foam first before it dissolves is better for getting into a higher state.

I am unable to verify this statement because the cheap swill I drink produces as much foam as tap water.

For all intent and purposes today a British pint is 500ml. As a lifelong fan of British beer, there is much less dissolved CO2 in their beer. There is a huge difference in taste if their beer is pulled from the barrel or pushed, Foam in your beer glass means you are being short changed, that's why the glass is tilted when being poured. Further, un-preserved bitter does not travel well. The barrel should be consumed within 3 days from the "Fining". After that, clarity will be lost and it will become vinegar in 7 days. I feel sorry for you folks that have never tasted fresh un-preserved bitter pulled from the barrel. It is completely different than any other form.

Since a 'cup' of coffee can be much less or much more than 8oz., how much beer do you get when you go to the pub for a 'pint'?

The local IRISH (themed) pub in Great Falls, VA simply holds dual sets of glassware to give one the choice as to the brews "on tap".

Traditional (pre-metric) UK pint.

Or US pint.

ISTR the menu lists the metrifuckated figure for each in case there's a immigrant heathen or Diplomatic staff wanker who has gotten lost and come to the wrong Public House?

Actually giving a flying f**k usually ceases by the third round, so how is that different from Blighty, anyway - "slow" day, or any other?

568 millilitres and pocket change (milliliters for *Muricans)
Beer cans are sometimes 568 ml sized also in here. (I don't drink beer but have noticed in a shop that some of the cans are taller than normal 0.5l can)

568 millilitres and pocket change (milliliters for *Muricans)
Beer cans are sometimes 568 ml sized also in here. (I don't drink beer but have noticed in a shop that some of the cans are taller than normal 0.5l can)

Pulled draughts it is all up to the glassware or stoneware, of course.

Bottles and cans are all over the lot. "Black Sheep" for example in a bottle is marked "1 PT 0.9"

If that happens to "come out even" in Metrifuckated? Don't ask a Yorkshireman to give a toss. Much less a "bilingual" Yank!

OTOH, 11.2 Fl oz, which DOES "come out even" @ 330 ml - is one of the several more common sizes here for "imports.", just not ALL imports, be they from Germany, (Hacker, Hofbrau) Blighty (Black Sheep, Bombardier, Bishop's Finger, Old Speckled Hen, London Pride, London Porter, Director's, Pedigree), Scotland, (Innis & Gunn), Manila, (PhilSanMig), Jamaica (Red Stripe), or Japan (Asahi dry, Kirin Ichiban).

Even the USA still has ONE good beer. Yuengling Old.

Time was, we even had TWO!

Then came the "microbrews".

What a mucking FESS when a naughty NAME and catchy-rude label artwork substitutes for knowing what to do with water, hops, barley malt, yeast.... and skilled experience.

:(

Time was, a Brewer was PROUD to put the family surname on his label, and run with it 200 years if not a thousand.

Perhaps they still do?

I've met my share of the "Raging Bitch" clan and more than a few "Fat Tire" shaped as well...

Additional question to a UK beer expert.

What is the deal with tilting the glass to get the correct amount of foam?
Does foam consumption give you a better heat-on.
I remember a work buddy said that slurping up the foam first before it dissolves is better for getting into a higher state.

I am unable to verify this statement because the cheap swill I drink produces as much foam as tap water.

When pouring or pulling beer, by tilting the glass the beer runs down the side of the class rather than splashing in to the bottom.

'Official'' as in weights and measures approved Brit pint & 1/2 pint beer glasses (used ??) to have a line on, which was considered the liquid line.

Yes the foam contains liquid, but not much, so by filling to the line publicans gave and the customers bought correct measure (about which there are very stringent laws)

Plus, Mr Average Brit, while liking a little head on his beer, ……….wants and expects a full measure of beer ''and not a glass o bleedin froth''

Pouring stout (Guinness Mackeson etc etc ) from bottles is almostanother art in itself.

go to germany an order a "pils". you will have to wait for 15 min. until the foam cap is produced to state of the art quality.

I took that question to mean how much does a pint cost to buy. Obviously it varies as to what you're buying and where you're buying it. It's that long ago that I bought a pint I've almost forgotten ! The lock down seems a long, long time.
I can't drink British beer anymore so I drink lager now. Last time I bought a pint in a pub a pint of " Moretti " ( Italian Lager ) it was £4-20p.

Regards Tyrone.

go to germany an order a "pils". you will have to wait for 15 min. until the foam cap is produced to state of the art quality.

Guess whether it is worth the bother depends on WHERE in Germany you are?

Not that large a country, once the lands they have more than once tried to steal were taken back!

Most of their neighbours (NINE of them..) make better beers, so scampering across a border - ANY border - works for me. Not as if it took a lot of time, after all.

Well... maybe not the Danish one. Not since Carlsberg f**ked-up Tuborg.
And that was "a while" ago, already.

:(

I like watching the ones who order their first pint,drink 3/4 of it and then ask for a half expecting to have a full pint. It's good to see their face when the barman/lady fills up a half pint glass and tips it into the pint glass. But they still try it next time.

I believe a pint is about half of what most people can drink without causing embarrassment.
I've heard an australian term for a person who can't hold his liquor: A two-pint screamer.

I don't know the answer (but it appears others have answered?), but I was in Singapore a few years back and I ordered what I thought was the equivalent of a 16 oz beer and they brought me a GIANT glass of beer! Closer to a 1/2 gallon I think.. LoL :eek:

I believe a pint is about half of what most people can drink without causing embarrassment.
I've heard an australian term for a person who can't hold his liquor: A two-pint screamer.

Australia? Y'all must live sheltered lives in dull Danmark?

I thot that was a "Sheila" with a sensory organ the size of a 1936 Holden foot-operated Bendix starter button.... and she holds her "liquor" by the ears... or so the Big Diggers claim..

"Slow day" my arse...

This "lockdown" shite is gittin' OLD!!!

Back