What's new
What's new

OT- Mysterious bathroom fixture - what is the purpose of this ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
In process of replacing disgusting looking fixtures on Viking 65 boat. Four heads, but only two of these...one in each forward head.

At first glance tempting to think a garden hose connection with cap in place but nope...just a short bar of steel poking out screwed to the bulkhead.

So one thinks, ok maybe a dummy fixture in case one wants to add second soap dish but that makes no sense either as the master head, which is way larger does not have one of these and has just one soap dish.

Plus why not just add a second soap dish in the first place if that was the theory. And too low for future tooth brush holder.

Any guesses ?

IMG_1462.JPGIMG_1463.JPG

Well it's the anchor for the bungee cord you use to hold the soap on the dish in heavy seas.

When I saw "mysterious bathroom fixture".. I figured I was going to be looking at a bidet...

Forward heads.. Where you go when you are doing stuff on the boat, fishing, drinking... I think that is
about all you can do on a boat(at least me anyways)... Anyways.. It is supposed to be a beer holder.. Don't need one in the master
bath, since all you are doing is waking up, doing your business and going back to bed, and unless you have
a serious problem, you aren't sleeping with a beer.

The cross hole makes me think it was supposed to support a ring to be a towel holder, but it's an odd place for one. On the other hand, it's a boat -> space is tight -> things go in odd places.

Maybe a water glass holder consisting of a ring that restrains a glass that sits right on the counter.

I'm surprised that the soapdish appears to be basically flat, with no possibility of restraining a bar of soap underway. Might be missing something though.

If you have the time, you could cruise thru interior shots of other vessels and see if it's "factory" or not.

Out of guesses.
Chip

The cross hole makes me think it was supposed to support a ring to be a towel holder, but it's an odd place for one. On the other hand, it's a boat -> space is tight -> things go in odd places.
The tiny cross hole is in a separate ring that rotates to access the set screw that holds the main stud in place. Why all this complexity for what amounts to a solid steel rod projecting out a short distance only adds to the mystery.

I don't know what it is, exactly, but you can damn well bet it had something to do with a man that had a woman telling him what to do....

Still could be for a toothbrush/cup holder if it extended upwards. Perhaps a design that wrapped around the cup so it would stay put. It's near the outlet so perhaps it is for an electric tooth brush.

My guess is you will never know for sure.

Well you said its too low for a toothbrush holder. Funny, because in 60 years of using bathrooms (yes I am house trained, despite what the neighbors say) I've only ever seen 2 things mounted on residential bathroom walls above the sink: a soap dish, and a toothbrush holder, often with a cup holder incorporated.

(Insert sarcastic comment about my lack of observing a wider range of bathrooms)

Maybe a toothbrush holder that was made differently than what we usually see?

Maybe a custom-made holder for granny's dentures?

Shaving mirror almost for certain!

contemporary-makeup-mirrors.jpg

Back