Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Somewhere there is an assembly line for these masks, how is it the general public can buy them before the medical companies can?
    Up until a short time ago, hospitals were forced to buy N95s that were designated ‘for medical use’. Industrial applications use the same exact N95s but they aren’t designated for medical use. Thus, the public had access to N95s because they were for industrial use before the hospitals could access them.

2. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    I feel bad for your wife and all of the selfless healthcare works who can't get proper PPE.

But it's hard to feel super bad for the "non-profit" mega health systems that make tremendous amounts of "non-profit" and then don't invest it in holding proper amounts of inventory. For fucks sake, why would they only have a couple of weeks of PPE on hand. It really shows that their management is only concerned about their short term profits and not about being prepared to serve their communities.

It also completely blows me away that hand sanitizer isn't available. It's alcohol and glycerin and plastic bottles. Plenty of those things available. I'd make it and sell it, but I am pretty sure the FDA or the state government or somebody would shut me down. But if the politicians actually cared, this country has plenty of capacity to make PPE and hand sanitizer.
    What before you get too critical of manufacturers stockpiles, these are businesses that try to anticipate normal demand. This is not normal. Perhaps you have a few extra machines, tools and supplies in the warehouse just in case.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another culprit is the thing called 'inventory tax' which entices all sorts of businesses to not keep stock. Taxing inenttory is just stupid, always has been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The industrial ones are common as dirt still aren't they?
    The local supplier has 26 of the 20 piece boxes of the 3m 8210's in the back room and plenty are available from their supplier I believe.
    I have a few in the shop as I always do.
    Not hoarding these are just common required masks for work.

6. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    The local supplier has 26 of the 20 piece boxes of the 3m 8210's in the back room and plenty are available from their supplier I believe.
    I can’t get them in the Northwest. Everything is sold out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    If health care providers end up re-using disposable masks or construction type respirators how will they sterilize them?

How can we sterilize them for personal use? Dryer? Microwave?
    UV ? Kinda of like the safety glasses uv sterilizer cabinets (on a larger scale) in the school shop classes back in the day. Or would that not be effective on fabrics where the uv may not penetrate?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    no, they are basically unavailable in the NYC area also.

there are apparently some pockets of stock here and there, this is perhaps the best thing we can do. find where some stock is located and get UNOPENED boxes to hospitals and emergency responders.

Tr, talk to your local supplier NOW if possible, and ask them to reserve the stock for medical ONLY. contact hospitals and get them in touch?

if anyone else has knowledge of stock, lets do this NOW!

10. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Sterilizing with heat will probably destroy the elastic band. Saturate with 70% alcohol is what I have heard being done, until they disintegrate. In Oregon, the veterinarians have been ordered to give their PPE to the hospitals.

Not just any mask will do, it must be insured for the task, liability insurance is a bitch. That is a big part of the supply problem. Supposedly that has been waived so the supply should pick up. The hit to the hospitals is just beginning, barely. In 2 weeks they are going to be way busier.
    Seems like even you guys are coming to senses with insurance nonsense.
    CDC is also digging some old stash of N95 masks Release of Stockpiled N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators Beyond the Manufacturer-Designated Shelf Life | CDC

12. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Masks can be sanitized by spraying the surfaces of the mask with bleach and putting it in a dryer.

If sterile is needed, ethylene oxide is the only way I know of.

14. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    What before you get too critical of manufacturers stockpiles, these are businesses that try to anticipate normal demand. This is not normal. Perhaps you have a few extra machines, tools and supplies in the warehouse just in case.
    We are talking about hospitals. One would think that part of their job is to be prepared for shit. Only having a week of face masks on hand is not being prepared for shit. This stuff costs rounding errors in profit percentage. They could have powered air respirators and 3 month supply of cartridges for their staff for a couple thousand dollars per person. They charge me $3,000 for a 30 second run in a CT scanner. I think they could take a tiny bit of that and invest in having emergency stock ON HAND.

I'm not talking about the PPE manufacturers. I'm talking about the users of the stuff. The hospitals. They needed to hold inventory to keep their product going and to keep their employees safe. They didn't. And I think it is because they are too greedy to spend the money. They sure as shit should have been able to see that have PPE for their employees without access to their normal suppliers might be a thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    We are talking about hospitals. One would think that part of their job is to be prepared for shit. Only having a week of face masks on hand is not being prepared for shit. This stuff costs rounding errors in profit percentage. They could have powered air respirators and 3 month supply of cartridges for their staff for a couple thousand dollars per person. They charge me $3,000 for a 30 second run in a CT scanner. I think they could take a tiny bit of that and invest in having emergency stock ON HAND.

I'm not talking about the PPE manufacturers. I'm talking about the users of the stuff. The hospitals. They needed to hold inventory to keep their product going and to keep their employees safe. They didn't. And I think it is because they are too greedy to spend the money. They sure as shit should have been able to see that have PPE for their employees without access to their normal suppliers might be a thing.
    These are big businesses. What, you think they care about people?

17. Likes janvanruth, Hopefuldave, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Masks can be sanitized by spraying the surfaces of the mask with bleach and putting it in a dryer.

If sterile is needed, ethylene oxide is the only way I know of.
    What about ozone? It kills about everything known to man including bacteria, fungus, and viruses. I know someone who hired an auto restorer to do a classic car with an issue and they said it would also kill the mice that caused the problem.

Some places use ozone gas instead of chlorine to disinfect drinking water.

By the way, for personal use if you have more than one hanging it out on a sunny breezy day will likely destroy anything harmful. The phrase "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" refers to more than politics and the principle has been known at least since Lister pioneered antiseptic surgery.

19. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just talked to the head of EMS here and they are happy to get my half a box of expired N95 masks. They are allowed to use them with expired dates now. These expired in 2017, my secretary lives next door to the EMS barn and will drop them off tonight.
    Posted this for anyone else that was thinking about it, the life you same may be your own or someone you know and do not hate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Your post makes me feel less, not more, sympathy for nurses for the fact that your post is really a poorly veiled attempt at criticizing the President.

As an adult - a fully grown adult with both testicles descended - I understand that "The President" can't make every problem go away with a sweep of his hand. I don't expect him to fix every crisis overnight. I don't even expect him to cut my steak into little squares for me. I gave up all that upon reaching adulthood.
    if you can make the idiot shut up, people will stop criticizing him over what he said

22. Likes Hopefuldave, dalmatiangirl61, awander liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    if you can make the idiot shut up, people will stop criticizing him over what he said
    Yup, at least here in Britain BoJo the Clown has the decency to look like he's shitting himself now people have realised he and his cronies have done their best to run down the NHS over the last 10 years...

Dave H. (the other one)

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rp, stocks here are opening up, they run about $2 each, I'd be happy to send you as many as you need if the airmail is working again. Getting locally should be faster but keep it in mind.

offer open to other health care people/facilities as well.

25. Likes rpseguin, memphisjed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    rp, stocks here are opening up, they run about $2 each, I'd be happy to send you as many as you need if the airmail is working again. Getting locally should be faster but keep it in mind.

offer open to other health care people/facilities as well.
    I’ll buy as many as I can afford for the local medical facilities.

I PMed you

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT- N95 Face Masks, PPE for Nurses, Doctors, ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sure hope when this is all over one of the big lessons learned will be to bring back home a lot of the mfg of key hospital supplies. Anyone know how many N95 mask makers are left here in the USA? What about the latex gloves, gowns etc...?

Virtually ever box of said supplies i ever have seen all seemed to have been made in China. I am sure if the govt is smart in China they are hoarding every last bit of supply they can make in case this thing flares back up in their country.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adammil1 View Post
    ... if the govt is smart in China they are hoarding every last bit of supply they can make in case this thing flares back up in their country.
    Ramped up production, not hoarding. Have sent planeloads to Italy that I know of, Jack Ma sent a million to the US, checking now to see if the mail to US is working, we can ship.