OT: need info about a security camera
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4309
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default OT: need info about a security camera

    My house and shop are back off of the road.
    I have a gate approximately 350 foot from the road.
    The gate has an electronic gate opener on it.
    My house is another 250 foot from this gate..
    I would like to mount a camera on my garage that would record activity at this gate.
    In the last 3 months we have had 2 utility companies, and UPS run a truck into out gate and trash the electronic opener.
    They always lie out of it, and we have to get a lwayer and make them replace the opener.
    The lawyer said we should just get a security camera, and have the proof.
    What is a simple system to video and store this info?
    I don't want a complicated system.
    Just something that I can get a video from and email if go the companies.
    Thanks,
    Jaxk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    169

    Default

    if you have computer skills you can build one with a capture card ( geovision ) the cameras are important don't skimp on those you want night day ones.

    They need to be really hi definition to catch number plate nos and faces.

    Also setup the computer with Raid so everythings backed up if one HDD dies store about 5 days worth of recordings before it overwrites itself.

    here is a link to most likely one of many who will sell these cards, the computer you put together from parts.

    Geovision DVR Cards

  3. Likes jackal liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    If you want to go cheap and still want decent solution. I'd suggest to order Foscam HD camera:
    Foscam HD camera
    Then depending if you have WLAN you may connect that by it to your home network. Or if you want to be safe from criminals with signal jammers wire it through RJ45 cable to your router. Then you need pc where you can install FTP server software (I suggest Filezilla, it is free and stable). For PC nothing beats:
    Intense PC

    Then if you want to be safe from power outages, buy small UPS. That Intense PC only draws ~30W. I have had this kind of setup for years and it has been bulletproof.

  5. Likes jackal liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    112
    Likes (Received)
    134

    Default

    Just buy a game/trail camera and set it up by the gate? Beats trying to wire anything 250ft to the house. I know of people who use them for security reasons, and seems to work for them. I don't have any personal experience though fwiw.

  7. Likes TeachMePlease, jackal liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    491
    Likes (Received)
    472

    Default

    Just go to Costco and buy whatever Lorex system is on sale. You can watch the cameras from anywhere in the world on your phone. All recorded in HD by the DVR box. You can also remotely view it on a computer.

  9. Likes jackal liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    392

    Default

    I went with this from Amazon
    I DO NOT recommend it.

    The picture quality is very good, but the motion capture is not 100% reliable and the camera does not always connect to my wifi.

    I works just well enough to piss you off the one time you want to know who is at the door and it either didn’t capture or started recording after the person turned their back to walk away


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. Likes jackal liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    392

    Default OT: need info about a security camera

    I went with this from Amazon
    I DO NOT recommend it.

    The picture quality is very good, but the motion capture is not 100% reliable and the camera does not always connect to my wifi.

    I works just well enough to piss you off the one time you want to know who is at the door and it either didn’t capture or started recording after the person turned their back to walk away

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SCN8R15...roduct_details

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  13. Likes jackal liked this post
  14. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    221

    Default

    I agree with the trail camera. Simple, reliable, motion sensing, battery operated, cheap.

    Just remember to change out the SD card for the largest one and buy 2 so you can swap them out.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  15. Likes jackal liked this post
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    374
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    141

    Default

    Buy a good camera,if you want details like plate numbers, faces, ect the cheap ones dont work for detail...Phil

  17. Likes jackal liked this post
  18. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post
    Just go to Costco and buy whatever Lorex system is on sale. You can watch the cameras from anywhere in the world on your phone. All recorded in HD by the DVR box. You can also remotely view it on a computer.
    I have a Lorex, I wouldn't recommend it. While it does work (so-so) the biggest PITA of it is that it stores the files in random order. When you want to go find a particular day - you have to scroll sometimes endlessly. Maybe the new ones are better.

    Another thing I dislike immensely is that it goes back and forth on camera's every so many seconds - it sticks with THAT routine whether it's recording or not. So if someone drives up the driveway - it only records THAT motion IF it is within the time window of that camera cycle. I don't think that is a very smart design parameter as I have MISSED recording people pulling up the driveway because of it.

    YMMV


    Jacin in Ohio

  19. Likes jackal liked this post
  20. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johfoster View Post
    Just buy a game/trail camera and set it up by the gate? Beats trying to wire anything 250ft to the house. I know of people who use them for security reasons, and seems to work for them. I don't have any personal experience though fwiw.
    Yes, this is the easiest, quickest answer in my opinion. Ethernet cable (CAT5) is only good up to 328', although some have had success beyond that.

    Dan

  21. Likes jackal liked this post
  22. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4309
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    Thanks for all the great info so far.
    Where I plan to mount this, is the gable of my garage.
    It will be out of the weather, and about 22 feet high.
    Also, I can run cable inside and down to a computer or ????????
    in the house or garage.
    I'm not real converned about getting the tag numbers, mostly able to identify if it's a UPS truck, or Ford pickup, with ladder racks,etc.
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

  23. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4002
    Likes (Received)
    4191

  24. Likes jackal liked this post
  25. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    666
    Likes (Received)
    488

    Default

    My driveway is 1300' and everything happens at the end- sex, drugs, drop off stolen vehicles, crap in the middle of the driveway and wipe your rear with your underwear and leave it, drop your cat, drop your dog, lawn waste, etc. No dead bodies yet thankfully. I have power there and installed a few ubiquiti ip cameras. Getting my network there was a chore. I started with a pair of ubiquiti 900mhz radios. A pair of these can be used to extend your network miles but it needs to be line of site. I have trees in the way so it was iffy at best. The 900mhz radios are supposed to have the best hope of going through trees and sort-of worked but not well. If you have line of site this is a good way to go you can get a very reliable 50Mbps link for very cheap and easy. I wound up installing 1300' of fiber. I got a bunch on ebay and bought all the tools to terminate it.

    The camera has helped a lot and also provides some fun videos.

    If you have line of site and power there just buy a pair of ubiquiti nano station M5's and you can easily install an ip camera at the gate. You could also install an intercom. I assume you already have power there if you have an opener.

  26. Likes jackal liked this post
  27. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4309
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    My driveway is 1300' and everything happens at the end- sex, drugs, drop off stolen vehicles, crap in the middle of the driveway and wipe your rear with your underwear and leave it, drop your cat, drop your dog, lawn waste, etc. No dead bodies yet thankfully. I have power there and installed a few ubiquiti ip cameras. Getting my network there was a chore. I started with a pair of ubiquiti 900mhz radios. A pair of these can be used to extend your network miles but it needs to be line of site. I have trees in the way so it was iffy at best. The 900mhz radios are supposed to have the best hope of going through trees and sort-of worked but not well. If you have line of site this is a good way to go you can get a very reliable 50Mbps link for very cheap and easy. I wound up installing 1300' of fiber. I got a bunch on ebay and bought all the tools to terminate it.

    The camera has helped a lot and also provides some fun videos.

    If you have line of site and power there just buy a pair of ubiquiti nano station M5's and you can easily install an ip camera at the gate. You could also install an intercom. I assume you already have power there if you have an opener.
    My opener is powered by a 12 volt car type battery, with a solar panel to charge.

  28. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    1,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    615
    Likes (Received)
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    . . .In the last 3 months we have had 2 utility companies, and UPS run a truck into our gate. . .
    Instead of a lawyer, sounds to me what you need is a much more visible gate! Hang some highly reflective panels on it and see where that leads.

  29. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  30. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4309
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    Instead of a lawyer, sounds to me what you need is a much more visible gate! Hang some highly reflective panels on it and see where that leads.
    If you cant see this , you shouldn't be driving.

    I have a single gate, but it is this exact style.

    I've been told my my neighbors that they ( pull up to the gate. When it doesn't open, they ram it).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images-8-.jpeg  

  31. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    9,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2207
    Likes (Received)
    6471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    If you cant see this , you shouldn't be driving.

    I have a single gate, but it is this exact style.

    I've been told my my neighbors that they ( pull up to the gate. When it doesn't open, they ram it).
    The UPS and utility trucks purposely ram your gate?! I'd add a paintball Gatling gun along with the camera...

  32. Likes jackal, Gordon Heaton liked this post
  33. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4309
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    The UPS and utility trucks purposely ram your gate?! I'd add a paintball Gatling gun along with the camera...
    I've thought about tire treadles. But, was told that was vandalism.

    My inlaws can see the gate from their front door.
    Even, with them as witnesses, it's still hard to prove.
    That's why I was advised to get a camera.
    These electronic openers are over $400 a pop.

  34. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    1,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    615
    Likes (Received)
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    . . .I've been told my my neighbors that they ( pull up to the gate. When it doesn't open, they ram it).
    That is grounds for a lawyer! You ought to be able to get punitive damages as well as actual costs. Go for it, but be sure to tell us how it turns out.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •