What's new
What's new

OT: need info about a security camera

jackal

Titanium
My house and shop are back off of the road.
I have a gate approximately 350 foot from the road.
The gate has an electronic gate opener on it.
My house is another 250 foot from this gate..
I would like to mount a camera on my garage that would record activity at this gate.
In the last 3 months we have had 2 utility companies, and UPS run a truck into out gate and trash the electronic opener.
They always lie out of it, and we have to get a lwayer and make them replace the opener.
The lawyer said we should just get a security camera, and have the proof.
What is a simple system to video and store this info?
I don't want a complicated system.
Just something that I can get a video from and email if go the companies.
Thanks,
Jaxk

if you have computer skills you can build one with a capture card ( geovision ) the cameras are important don't skimp on those you want night day ones.

They need to be really hi definition to catch number plate nos and faces.

Also setup the computer with Raid so everythings backed up if one HDD dies store about 5 days worth of recordings before it overwrites itself.

here is a link to most likely one of many who will sell these cards, the computer you put together from parts.

Geovision DVR Cards

If you want to go cheap and still want decent solution. I'd suggest to order Foscam HD camera:
Foscam HD camera
Then depending if you have WLAN you may connect that by it to your home network. Or if you want to be safe from criminals with signal jammers wire it through RJ45 cable to your router. Then you need pc where you can install FTP server software (I suggest Filezilla, it is free and stable). For PC nothing beats:
Intense PC

Then if you want to be safe from power outages, buy small UPS. That Intense PC only draws ~30W. I have had this kind of setup for years and it has been bulletproof.

Just go to Costco and buy whatever Lorex system is on sale. You can watch the cameras from anywhere in the world on your phone. All recorded in HD by the DVR box. You can also remotely view it on a computer.

I went with this from Amazon
I DO NOT recommend it.

The picture quality is very good, but the motion capture is not 100% reliable and the camera does not always connect to my wifi.

I works just well enough to piss you off the one time you want to know who is at the door and it either didn’t capture or started recording after the person turned their back to walk away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went with this from Amazon
I DO NOT recommend it.

The picture quality is very good, but the motion capture is not 100% reliable and the camera does not always connect to my wifi.

I works just well enough to piss you off the one time you want to know who is at the door and it either didn’t capture or started recording after the person turned their back to walk away

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SCN8R15?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with the trail camera. Simple, reliable, motion sensing, battery operated, cheap.

Just remember to change out the SD card for the largest one and buy 2 so you can swap them out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just go to Costco and buy whatever Lorex system is on sale. You can watch the cameras from anywhere in the world on your phone. All recorded in HD by the DVR box. You can also remotely view it on a computer.

I have a Lorex, I wouldn't recommend it. While it does work (so-so) the biggest PITA of it is that it stores the files in random order. When you want to go find a particular day - you have to scroll sometimes endlessly. Maybe the new ones are better.

Another thing I dislike immensely is that it goes back and forth on camera's every so many seconds - it sticks with THAT routine whether it's recording or not. So if someone drives up the driveway - it only records THAT motion IF it is within the time window of that camera cycle. I don't think that is a very smart design parameter as I have MISSED recording people pulling up the driveway because of it.

YMMV

Jacin in Ohio

Just buy a game/trail camera and set it up by the gate? Beats trying to wire anything 250ft to the house. I know of people who use them for security reasons, and seems to work for them. I don't have any personal experience though fwiw.

Yes, this is the easiest, quickest answer in my opinion. Ethernet cable (CAT5) is only good up to 328', although some have had success beyond that.

Dan

Thanks for all the great info so far.
Where I plan to mount this, is the gable of my garage.
It will be out of the weather, and about 22 feet high.
Also, I can run cable inside and down to a computer or ????????
in the house or garage.
I'm not real converned about getting the tag numbers, mostly able to identify if it's a UPS truck, or Ford pickup, with ladder racks,etc.
Thanks for all the great ideas.

My driveway is 1300' and everything happens at the end- sex, drugs, drop off stolen vehicles, crap in the middle of the driveway and wipe your rear with your underwear and leave it, drop your cat, drop your dog, lawn waste, etc. No dead bodies yet thankfully. I have power there and installed a few ubiquiti ip cameras. Getting my network there was a chore. I started with a pair of ubiquiti 900mhz radios. A pair of these can be used to extend your network miles but it needs to be line of site. I have trees in the way so it was iffy at best. The 900mhz radios are supposed to have the best hope of going through trees and sort-of worked but not well. If you have line of site this is a good way to go you can get a very reliable 50Mbps link for very cheap and easy. I wound up installing 1300' of fiber. I got a bunch on ebay and bought all the tools to terminate it.

The camera has helped a lot and also provides some fun videos.

If you have line of site and power there just buy a pair of ubiquiti nano station M5's and you can easily install an ip camera at the gate. You could also install an intercom. I assume you already have power there if you have an opener.

My driveway is 1300' and everything happens at the end- sex, drugs, drop off stolen vehicles, crap in the middle of the driveway and wipe your rear with your underwear and leave it, drop your cat, drop your dog, lawn waste, etc. No dead bodies yet thankfully. I have power there and installed a few ubiquiti ip cameras. Getting my network there was a chore. I started with a pair of ubiquiti 900mhz radios. A pair of these can be used to extend your network miles but it needs to be line of site. I have trees in the way so it was iffy at best. The 900mhz radios are supposed to have the best hope of going through trees and sort-of worked but not well. If you have line of site this is a good way to go you can get a very reliable 50Mbps link for very cheap and easy. I wound up installing 1300' of fiber. I got a bunch on ebay and bought all the tools to terminate it.

The camera has helped a lot and also provides some fun videos.

If you have line of site and power there just buy a pair of ubiquiti nano station M5's and you can easily install an ip camera at the gate. You could also install an intercom. I assume you already have power there if you have an opener.

My opener is powered by a 12 volt car type battery, with a solar panel to charge.

Instead of a lawyer, sounds to me what you need is a much more visible gate! Hang some highly reflective panels on it and see where that leads.

If you cant see this , you shouldn't be driving.

I have a single gate, but it is this exact style.

I've been told my my neighbors that they ( pull up to the gate. When it doesn't open, they ram it).

Attachments

• images (8).jpeg
    images (8).jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 46
If you cant see this , you shouldn't be driving.

I have a single gate, but it is this exact style.

I've been told my my neighbors that they ( pull up to the gate. When it doesn't open, they ram it).

The UPS and utility trucks purposely ram your gate?! I'd add a paintball Gatling gun along with the camera...

The UPS and utility trucks purposely ram your gate?! I'd add a paintball Gatling gun along with the camera...

I've thought about tire treadles. But, was told that was vandalism.

My inlaws can see the gate from their front door.
Even, with them as witnesses, it's still hard to prove.
That's why I was advised to get a camera.
These electronic openers are over $400 a pop.

Back