What's new
What's new

OT- Need lock for home sliding door ... possibilities ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
For door with hardware like below....does there exist a lock to fit where the "grip" plate is now ? (i.e. no drilling for separate lock...realizing I'll have to install a catch for the lock in the door frame of course)

IMG_2177.jpg

If there is a good locksmith in your area you might stop in and ask them. Many times they are aware of hardware that may not be common, especially the older stuff. Even if they don't have anything on hand they may provide the exact name, which helps when looking.

If you just want a way to lock the door from the inside, they make bars that basically jam between edge of door and frame.
Locking from inside would be easy...I want to lock from outside.... Reason= contractor workers roaming about doing interior reno for a week or more...would like to lock home office behind sliding door. (which doubles as the laundry room, hence the lack of proper door with proper lock.. )

The down-side to the handy sliding door is the lower track. A small crowbar will lift the door off the track, so that it can be pulled outwards and defeated.

Following the link that TeachMePlease provided I found this writeup. It does mention that notch dimensions vary somewhat by manufacturer so it may take some digging.

Standard Notched Style Pocket Door Hardware

However, since that seems to be a painted door it would be no big deal to either enlarge the notch or glue in filler strips, as needed. That would be worth doing if your current pull has uncommon dimensions.

The down-side to the handy sliding door is the lower track. A small crowbar will lift the door off the track, so that it can be pulled outwards and defeated.

That can be solved by screwing in a small block at top. In order to lift the door off the track it is then necessary to open the door somewhat and unscrew the block.

DERP!! I saw sliding door and immediately thought "patio door"...

If it is an emergency I would just screw on latch and use a padlock. Patch up/paint holes when done...

DERP!! I saw sliding door and immediately thought "patio door"...

If it is an emergency I would just screw on latch and use a padlock. Patch up/paint holes when done...

THIS. It's only temporary. It can only keep "honest" people out, anyway.

I'd just use a sash-window keylock, but at the TOP of the door.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Brass-Wood-Keyed-Window-Sash-Lock-U-9863/100209983

The screw holes will be smaller and easier to fill when you remove it!

Even easier if you do NOT remove it, just adapt to the door not opening quite as wide.

:)

Back