What's new
What's new

OT -- Need some plumbing help

Weirsdale George

Stainless
I tried to fill a tub in a little used bathroom in my house only to find out that the water is barely coming out the faucet (maybe one gallon a minute). The valve is a single handled Delta (I think) which when in the 6:00 position is off, rotates 270 degrees CCW through cold to hot. In the adjacent sink, the hot and cold water both flow normally, so it is not like I am missing one or the other. The water coming out of the tub faucet is warm, but not hot, so there is some mixing in the valve. It appears that both hot and cold water are coming to the valve, but somehow, the valve is restricting the flow of both. What do I do to correct this problem. (FWIW, the house is ten years old.) Thanks.

Plumbing

George it sounds like you have what we refure to as a mixer tap in Oz the internal workings of this type of tap have a number og ceramic discs which slide to open hot or cold or mix, if they stand for a long time they can block up. Best is to open the tap remove the cartridge(ceramic discs etc) and replace it with a new one you should be able to get from your local hardwear.
Andrew S

Delta

Hi George, The Delta valve uses a ball for a mixer. It has holes that line up with ports in the ball cup inside. Spring loaded rubber seals ride against the ball. The holes in the seals are somewhat small, so high flow in not to be expected. It's also very easy to accumulate debri in the holes. Could even be remnants of white bread that was used to hold back water to make a solder joint. Easy enough to take the valve apart and clean the ports. A bit harder to get the ball back in without the seals falling out. A little vasolene helps with that and washes away easily.

Before you take the valve apart just unscrew the aerator off the end of the faucet, nine times out of ten the screen is plugged up.

Not sure that Delta uses a ball or an aerator in their tub faucets. Andrew has it, but with the age, you may be looking at a replacement.

Clean it

Take the cartridge out and clean it. Trash tends to collect behind the seals. if that doesn't work it may be one of the lifetime warranteed units...if you call they will drop a new one in the mail free of charge.

No idea the brand I have, but, turn it on, get a little stream, OK, Little bit more on the handle, a squeal and throttle down to a trickle.

Squirt the sprayer, full force. Something in there in the sprayer valve, I THINK..

Anyhow, ready to buy another. Takes forever to get a sink full enough to do the dishes.

Hell, takes forever to fill the coffee pot filler upper.
Cheers,

George

Back