What's new
What's new

OT- Need someone who reads aircraft engine French

Diamond
I need to sell my Turbomeca Marbore IIF jet engine. The total time implies that it must have been overhauled sometime. The time since overhaul has a major influence on the price. I have the maintenance records, but they are all in French, hence the request. The best thing would be to find someone in the St. Louis area who could go through the stack of forms. Otherwise, I can scan the ones that seem pertinent, but that may miss something important.

Volunteers can reach me at [email protected].

Bill

I need to sell my Turbomeca Marbore IIF jet engine. The total time implies that it must have been overhauled sometime. The time since overhaul has a major influence on the price. I have the maintenance records, but they are all in French, hence the request. The best thing would be to find someone in the St. Louis area who could go through the stack of forms. Otherwise, I can scan the ones that seem pertinent, but that may miss something important.

Bill

hey bill I used to live on oak street in Webster groves...and chesterfield also....loved st louis

plus google translator can be you friend
Google Translate

Will google translate take a photo or a scan as input?

his printer can scan...then copy it in my pictures and paste into translator...he probably gots a printer scanner right? theres also this button on that page....

Type text or a website address or translate a document.

Bill check this out...translates pictures or any thing...super sweet

Translate images - Google Translate Help

Translate images

Using the Translate app, you can use your phone’s camera to translate text in the world around you, like signs or handwritten notes.

Translate using your camera

For some languages, you can translate text just by pointing your phone’s camera lens. Translations of small, badly lit, or stylized text might be less accurate.
1.Open the Translate app .
2.In the top-left corner, tap the language shown and then tap the language you’re translating.
3.In the top-right corner, tap the language shown and then tap a language you read.
4.Tap Instant translate Instant translate. If it’s not there, tap Translate image Take picture.
5.Point your camera at the text you want to translate. •If you’ve downloaded the language and it’s available for instant translation, any text is translated on your screen.
•To turn on instant translation, tap Toggle instant translation Toggle instant translation. You might be asked to download the language.
•If instant translation isn’t available or you can’t download the language, tap the Camera Take picture. Then highlight the text you want to translate with your finger.

Notes: To pause the camera, in the bottom right corner of the screen, tap Pause Pause. For some languages, like Arabic, the Pause icon might be different. To resume, tap Play Resume.

Bill check this out...translates pictures or any thing...super sweet

Translate images - Google Translate Help

Translate images

Using the Translate app, you can use your phone’s camera to translate text in the world around you, like signs or handwritten notes.

Translate using your camera

For some languages, you can translate text just by pointing your phone’s camera lens. Translations of small, badly lit, or stylized text might be less accurate.
1.Open the Translate app .
2.In the top-left corner, tap the language shown and then tap the language you’re translating.
3.In the top-right corner, tap the language shown and then tap a language you read.
4.Tap Instant translate Instant translate. If it’s not there, tap Translate image Take picture.
5.Point your camera at the text you want to translate. •If you’ve downloaded the language and it’s available for instant translation, any text is translated on your screen.
•To turn on instant translation, tap Toggle instant translation Toggle instant translation. You might be asked to download the language.
•If instant translation isn’t available or you can’t download the language, tap the Camera Take picture. Then highlight the text you want to translate with your finger.

Notes: To pause the camera, in the bottom right corner of the screen, tap Pause Pause. For some languages, like Arabic, the Pause icon might be different. To resume, tap Play Resume.

Who woulda' guessed that existed! Sorta trumps my suggestion but anyways, I used to have a scanner with software that would convert hand written to text. Forget what the software was called but there are free versions these day, google Optical Character Recognition (OCR) the output could then be translated anywhere. Top 5 Free OCR Software Tools To Convert Images Into Text

JR

There are differences between colloquial translation and actual technical translation--i.e. knowledge
of the technical phrases/terms used....which one will then have to figure out.

Back in the day, I contracted with a technical translation co.--to translate something like 2,000 pages
of French spec's. and drawings (Bulten-France)---for Concorde parts......(waaaay back in the day)

Bill

Yeah,I need to sell my jet engine also.......................

technical translations are often "interesting". Translate "semiconductor" in a non-technical way, even in english, and you come up with interesting possibilities. Half conductor, deceptive conductor, all sorts of things like that, and then you start on the alternate meanings of "conductor"......

it can tie things up in knots if not done by someone familiar with the jargon in both languages.

As for stuff laying about....

I knew a fellow who had a rocket laying around. I believe he did eventually sell it. He had, at various times, an immense amount of "stuff". Largely electronic, but not always.

9100: I assume you knew Bernie Feissle......

9100: I assume you knew Bernie Feissle......

The last time I saw Bernie was picking up merchandise after a McDonnell Douglass, now Boeing auction. Bernie got ahead of me at the dock and loaded his stuff, then sat there blocking it while he lit a cigarette and shuffled around with whatever he had on the seat, clearly unconcerned that he was holding me up. Since the question is in past tense, I assume he is no longer with us. If so, he died with a lot more toys than I have.

Bill

I'm fluent in French but I'm about 3 1/2 hours north of you. If you want to bring them over I'll have a look. I was an Air Traffic Controller for 12 years and fly ultralight aircraft (paramotors and paraglider to be exact, so not your traditional aircraft). I'm in Mediapolis Iowa.

Bill I used to go to holy redeemer school....did that close? I heard oak street was like in the city now...still all those old houses there? loved going to all the cardinals world series lou brock and all those guys...what a fun time...plus the BLUES were awesome back then...I remember going to that 5 and dime store or was it walworths...cant rememba...LOL

Bill,
I'm curious about how you ended up with a jet engine? As someone else said, there must be a good story. When it comes time to sell, I've had great luck selling aviation items at Barnstormers.com

OK, here is the story in 250 words or less. The initial stimulus was the X Prize. Two McDonnell Douglas engineers wanted to try for it and brought me in for manufacturing experience. The goal was a one piece up, one piece down vehicle, powered by kerosene and LOX. The jet engine wold help in the first part of the take off and after the fuel burn off getting reasonably high, it would continue on rocket power alone. We found this engine in Texas and brought it back in the back of a station wagon with the tailpipe sticking between the front seats.

While we are supposed to be humble, in this case I am not going to be because I designed and built the whole thing with only minimal help, a reflection of the modern world where, especially in a unionized environment, an engineer has become a person who sits at a desk drawing pictures on a screen. One of the main issues for a vertical takeoff and landing vehicle is steering when there is no speed to use control surfaces. Pursuant to that, I made a test stand with four load sensors and gimbaled on the pitch axis, allowing the engine to pivot up and down. The tailpipe has four vanes to direct the thrust and vary the opening, which controls thrust. On the test engine the horizontal vanes are adjusted by screws and the vertical ones are controlled by boosters that work much like automobile power brake units except that they work on bleed air instead of vacuum. They are controlled by small servo motors operating in a servo loop with gyros. Manual control is accomplished by introducing an error signal into the loop so the vanes move the engine (and attached gyro) to make the gyro output cancel the error. The vanes do not touch the sides of the tailpipe segments. They have labyrinth edges that minimize leakage without friction. The manual controls are two potentiometers, one moving both vanes in and out and the second moving them differentially, much like the collective and cyclic controls on a helicopter. The vanes will move from full in to full out in about one tenth second. Being almost frictionless, tiny corrections are possible. The big moment in the tests was when I found that I could make pitch changes so small and so slow that it was hard to see the movement. With all vanes open, thrust is almost negligible and they will go from minimum to max thrust in less that two tenths second. I set the governor on the engine for full RPM and controlled thrust with the tailpipe. When the vanes are open, back pressure is low and the engine tries to speed up. The governor reduces fuel flow and maintains the RPM. When the vanes close, the reverse happens. The point is that the engine is spooled up all the time so there is no lag waiting for it to change RPM.

We got a patent on the thrust vector control

Patent US6622472 - Apparatus and method for thrust vector control - Google Patents

That used up most of our money, then the partnership fell apart. The other two partners found employment in other cities. Neither of them wanted to do fund raising because they were afraid to let their employers know they were trying to start their own company, so the whole thing died. They did agree to let me keep whatever I could get for the engine in recognition of the work and money I contributed, not much compensation for a very successful project.

BillMarbore.jpgMarbore in shop.jpg

Bill I used to go to holy redeemer school....did that close? I heard oak street was like in the city now...still all those old houses there? loved going to all the cardinals world series lou brock and all those guys...what a fun time...plus the BLUES were awesome back then...I remember going to that 5 and dime store or was it walworths...cant rememba...LOL
Holy Redeemer School is on Lockwood. I am on Marshall a few doors west of Summit, just a little way north of the school. I have been there 38 years, in what used to be Wood's drug store, between Wagner HVAC and Cosby Art Glass. You may remember Geggus Market, which is on the other side of Marshall but now is a prosthetic maker.

Bill

I'm fluent in French but I'm about 3 1/2 hours north of you. If you want to bring them over I'll have a look. I was an Air Traffic Controller for 12 years and fly ultralight aircraft (paramotors and paraglider to be exact, so not your traditional aircraft). I'm in Mediapolis Iowa.

I have driven that route many times, to the Mt. Pleasant Old Thresher's Reunion. There is a highway now, but I would probably take the bike and come up along the river. If I can't find someone closer, I may be seeing you.

Thanks,

Bill

Thats fucking awesome

Please tell me you have video?

OK, here is the story in 250 words or less. The initial stimulus was the X Prize. Two McDonnell Douglas engineers wanted to try for it and brought me in for manufacturing experience. The goal was a one piece up, one piece down vehicle, powered by kerosene and LOX. The jet engine wold help in the first part of the take off and after the fuel burn off getting reasonably high, it would continue on rocket power alone. We found this engine in Texas and brought it back in the back of a station wagon with the tailpipe sticking between the front seats.

While we are supposed to be humble, in this case I am not going to be because I designed and built the whole thing with only minimal help, a reflection of the modern world where, especially in a unionized environment, an engineer has become a person who sits at a desk drawing pictures on a screen. One of the main issues for a vertical takeoff and landing vehicle is steering when there is no speed to use control surfaces. Pursuant to that, I made a test stand with four load sensors and gimbaled on the pitch axis, allowing the engine to pivot up and down. The tailpipe has four vanes to direct the thrust and vary the opening, which controls thrust. On the test engine the horizontal vanes are adjusted by screws and the vertical ones are controlled by boosters that work much like automobile power brake units except that they work on bleed air instead of vacuum. They are controlled by small servo motors operating in a servo loop with gyros. Manual control is accomplished by introducing an error signal into the loop so the vanes move the engine (and attached gyro) to make the gyro output cancel the error. The vanes do not touch the sides of the tailpipe segments. They have labyrinth edges that minimize leakage without friction. The manual controls are two potentiometers, one moving both vanes in and out and the second moving them differentially, much like the collective and cyclic controls on a helicopter. The vanes will move from full in to full out in about one tenth second. Being almost frictionless, tiny corrections are possible. The big moment in the tests was when I found that I could make pitch changes so small and so slow that it was hard to see the movement. With all vanes open, thrust is almost negligible and they will go from minimum to max thrust in less that two tenths second. I set the governor on the engine for full RPM and controlled thrust with the tailpipe. When the vanes are open, back pressure is low and the engine tries to speed up. The governor reduces fuel flow and maintains the RPM. When the vanes close, the reverse happens. The point is that the engine is spooled up all the time so there is no lag waiting for it to change RPM.

We got a patent on the thrust vector control

Patent US6622472 - Apparatus and method for thrust vector control - Google Patents

That used up most of our money, then the partnership fell apart. The other two partners found employment in other cities. Neither of them wanted to do fund raising because they were afraid to let their employers know they were trying to start their own company, so the whole thing died. They did agree to let me keep whatever I could get for the engine in recognition of the work and money I contributed, not much compensation for a very successful project.

BillView attachment 176822View attachment 176823

Back