What's new
What's new

OT: New Rail Speed Record

Unfortunately, they dont go that fast where I live- here, trains average about 40mph.
Mainly because of ancient trackbeds, multiple grade crossings, and a design dating back a hundred years to 30mph trains.

We just dont have the political will to spend the money here to upgrade our infrastructure- which is too bad- here in Puget Sound, we have more people every day, and no room for more freeways- trains would be perfect.
Currently, I can drive to Seattle, 90 miles away- or take one of a whopping TWO trains every day.
A similar situation in Japan, or most anywhere in Europe, would have a train every half hour.

Interestingly enough, Alstom, who built the TGV, currently have an order from the Chinese for almost 1 Billion dollars worth of these trains. As does Siemens, in Germany, Bombardier, in Canada, and GE here in the states- the Chinese are buying the entire next few years factory capacity of all 4 of the big Locomotive builders in the world- because only by buying from EVERYBODY can they get the amount of trains they want in the next few years.

Unfortunately, they dont go that fast where I live- here, trains average about 40mph.
Mainly because of ancient trackbeds, multiple grade crossings, and a design dating back a hundred years to 30mph trains.

We just dont have the political will to spend the money here to upgrade our infrastructure- which is too bad- here in Puget Sound, we have more people every day, and no room for more freeways- trains would be perfect.
Currently, I can drive to Seattle, 90 miles away- or take one of a whopping TWO trains every day.
A similar situation in Japan, or most anywhere in Europe, would have a train every half hour.

Interestingly enough, Alstom, who built the TGV, currently have an order from the Chinese for almost 1 Billion dollars worth of these trains. As does Siemens, in Germany, Bombardier, in Canada, and GE here in the states- the Chinese are buying the entire next few years factory capacity of all 4 of the big Locomotive builders in the world- because only by buying from EVERYBODY can they get the amount of trains they want in the next few years.

In the northeast that doesn't seem to stop Amtrak's Accela I was riding on it when we were going 120mph cruise speed, I was told, passed through the grade crossing in a town of Mansfield. A kid was walking on the tracks at the station. Saw the train coming and tried to get out of its way. Sadly that was the last thing he saw :eek: .

The real problem however that this country has with trains is that the roads are subsidized and the tracks are not. To go from Boston to NYC costs $20-30 by bus, vs. $70-$120 by train depending on the time/ticket. Amtrak has to maintain not only the trains, but at least 800miles of track from Washington DC to Boston on their northeast coridor. Greyhound or the China Town buslines only has to maintain their bus and pay gas tax. There was a bit of talk here awhile back about how unfair it was that the government was subsidizing a Union Pacific Railyard. Whether or not that was fair or not with gas/diesel costing about 4times what it does here in the US in Europe due to additional tax, I think it is fair to say that their competition is more then subsidized.

Where I am from in Boston things seem to spread out for public transit to work. That being said, now that I am in New Jersey, for my summer job this year, I have a choice do I want to rot for an hour and fifteen mins in heavy traffic each way, or do I want to spend $200/month, plus 15mins each way by train. To make matters better the complex that my company is in, even provides bus service for commuters from the station 3miles away to their place. There it is a no brainer, I can't stand stop and go traffic. On New Jersey's Northeast corridor the tracks are all elevated no crossings and trains run during rush hour once every fifteen mins or so. That said I think the rest of the country has a ways to go.

The real problem is the old spoke on the hub systems that most places currently have. If you are a few stations up or down, or are heading in or out of the one major hub city you are fine. God forbid you want to travel a few spokes over.

adam

In the northeast that doesn't seem to stop Amtrak's Accela I was riding on it when we were going 120mph cruise speed, I was told, passed through the grade crossing in a town of Mansfield. A kid was walking on the tracks at the station. Saw the train coming and tried to get out of its way. Sadly that was the last thing he saw :eek: .

The real problem however that this country has with trains is that the roads are subsidized and the tracks are not. To go from Boston to NYC costs $20-30 by bus, vs. $70-$120 by train depending on the time/ticket. Amtrak has to maintain not only the trains, but at least 800miles of track from Washington DC to Boston on their northeast coridor. Greyhound or the China Town buslines only has to maintain their bus and pay gas tax. There was a bit of talk here awhile back about how unfair it was that the government was subsidizing a Union Pacific Railyard. Whether or not that was fair or not with gas/diesel costing about 4times what it does here in the US in Europe due to additional tax, I think it is fair to say that their competition is more then subsidized.

Where I am from in Boston things seem to spread out for public transit to work. That being said, now that I am in New Jersey, for my summer job this year, I have a choice do I want to rot for an hour and fifteen mins in heavy traffic each way, or do I want to spend $200/month, plus 15mins each way by train. To make matters better the complex that my company is in, even provides bus service for commuters from the station 3miles away to their place. There it is a no brainer, I can't stand stop and go traffic. On New Jersey's Northeast corridor the tracks are all elevated no crossings and trains run during rush hour once every fifteen mins or so. That said I think the rest of the country has a ways to go.

The real problem is the old spoke on the hub systems that most places currently have. If you are a few stations up or down, or are heading in or out of the one major hub city you are fine. God forbid you want to travel a few spokes over.

adam

adam

They changed the wheels to slightly bigger for the record run.
The top speed still held by Japanese Maglev.
Being the train nut that I am, I was just reading about General Motors EMD and the sucess of their Series 66 in Europe.

Sandiapaul
Trains are far far from dead in Europe, heck its the way to travel.Last summer I went from Waterloo London to Gare Du Nord Pairs by Eurostar.Soo much more easier and convient than driving and ferry.Only downside is that they quit the England to France car-trains.

Being the train nut that I am, I was just reading about General Motors EMD and the sucess of their Series 66 in Europe.

Sandiapaul
Trains are far far from dead in Europe, heck its the way to travel.Last summer I went from Waterloo London to Gare Du Nord Pairs by Eurostar.Soo much more easier and convient than driving and ferry.Only downside is that they quit the England to France car-trains.

Sandiapaul

Spud,

yes that is what I meant..in europe they are not dead...here they are pratically, at least if you compare amount of service.

Take a look at a 1940 Official Guide, you could go nearly everywhere by train...

Spud,

yes that is what I meant..in europe they are not dead...here they are pratically, at least if you compare amount of service.

Take a look at a 1940 Official Guide, you could go nearly everywhere by train...

Back