What's new
What's new

OT - New style of magnets

MotoX

Cast Iron
If any of you are like me, then you've had a fascination with magnets since you were young.

I find myself wondering even still why and how they work, because they still seem like magic.

These guys have found a way to manufacture and utilize magnets in a fashion I've not thought of or even heard of.

Polymagnets - Correlated Magnetics

The possible applications are mind boggling in number.

Destin from "Smarter Every Day" on youtube toured their place a put out this video.

Mind-Blowing Magic Magnets - Smarter Every Day 153 - YouTube

Its a little over 10 minutes long, but well worth the watch.

What do you guys think?

I have no affiliation with either party. I just like magnets.

They have a lot of animations, but I'd like to see the demonstrations done with real products.

This company has a similar product that is actually in production.
MagLogix™: Magnetism - Redefined

Most lifting magnets rate their pull based on a 2" thick plate. If you are lifting a thinner plate, the pull strength goes down. I have some 5,000lb rated magnets in the shop that are only good for ~1,500lbs on a 1/2" plate. This has to do with how far the magnetic lines of force extend out for a large magnet. The maglogix magnets are supposed to have higher ratings on thinner plate because the smaller magnets have shorter lines of force.

I haven't tried them in person yet, so I don't know how well they work. The next time I need to replace magnets, I will consider switching to those.

Vince

Back