What's new
What's new

OT- Are non electric (glow in the dark) EXIT signs "legal" ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
From a fire department standpoint that is....presume it depends on local...but in general ? I could see an issue if you are in the lighted office but fire breaks out in the dark warehouse. OTOH no one would be in the warehouse in the dark in the first place, so easy enough to exit the office door to outside.... in my case anyway.

Non-Electric Exit Signs | Exit Light Co.

We just put some in our storage building, and it satisfied our AS9100d auditor which encompasses OSHA requirements. So I would say yes.

I would bet they have something to say if they are radioactive. They built a housing project on the old Hunters Point navy base in San Francisco. The ground was cleared and checked for hazardous materials before anything could be built. Probably by the lowest bidder.
The residents have found several radioactive glow in the dark deck lights. I think from aircraft carriers.
Bill D

No. At least not around here. They must be powered and have a battery for when the power fails. And they have to have the two emergency egress lights that come on. Fire inspector always presses the test button to simulate power fail and verify that the battery is good and the lights come on. He comes around once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The emergency lighting can be taken care of separately with battery ballasts in light fixtures or a centrally located inverter. Since the local Fire Marshall is the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) that would be the person to ask. The AHJ can amend things in the codes if they desire.

I have a bunch of old NOS glow in the dark exit stickers from the Navy. They're pretty bright. Probably radium. It would have to be pretty smokey to miss one in the dark.

Always check YOUR enforcement agency.

Everywhere can be different, and the people in those departments can look differently.

Most likely lighted will be required even if only populated during daytime the ability to see may be limited.

In the event of emergency the glowing lights can better get the attention.

However, there may be only a certain number of lighted units required at doorways but your glow in dark ones may be allowed or handy where not mandated to be, such as along the wall directing towards the exit.

Visit your local fire station with a box of doughnuts and samples of your signs with some photos of your building.

If they state allowed ask for hard copy so future inspectors who may think otherwise can be stopped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One high school has some weird windowless rooms and hallways. Around 20 years ago they installed glow in the dark arrows, near ground level to point the way out. These are radioactive but only in hallways not in classrooms where kids might sit next to them for an hour every day.
Bil lD

At the same school it was cheaper to replace the entire emergency light fixture with a new one then to replace just the custom odd ball rechargeable battery. These were from the early 1970's.
Bil lD.

Back