What's new
What's new

OT.Norton changes my default browser.How to stop that

ratbldr427

Titanium
In the last month Norton started changing my browser,Google, to Yahoo.It does not change the default just when I do a search.
I looked on line and apparently a lot of people have had the same problem.As usual the the results are only how to set the default.Reading comprehension is in short supply,the default doesn't change.

I can get Google by logging to Chrome,but this is pissing me off.Either Norton is getting a stipend to do that or Yahoo has somehow managed that on their own.Every Yahoo response is some kind of ad and not what I'm looking for.

I've tried a bunch of browsers but keep coming back to Google as I always get the responses most closely related to what I want.

I could give shit about what browser I use and wouldn't support Google if something else was better,so this is not spam for Google.

So how can I stop this.The Norton site is no help.I'm just about to can Norton and put something else on.

I din't know if maybe a third party might have some how infected my computer,but what would be the incentive?
Anybody else have this problem?

Try turning Norton "Safe Search" off. With it on, Norton uses Yahoo and Ask.com to generate search results.

I was about to go back to Norton. I hated it years ago. Now it seems top rated. Will I regret the switch?

My computer guy recommended Opera browser but I like Avast Secure Browser., it blocks any problem sites and give me a warning if a site has any bugs in it.
Some sites will put a bug in your computer.
Avast also has a free antivirus...
It pops up if a bug is in a site and asks if you want to continue , and askes to remove the bug..
Yes, you click Ok to a site Avast questions, but you know/think it is safe.

It just popped up today and said there was a problem in my thumb drive where I am writing the SG grinder book, I clicked "yes" and it took all of three seconds to fix it.
27,787 words and 47 pages now. i better gert a second thumb drive for back-up, who knows if I will ever get it done.

Mostly you can look at a site, but if you click on/at anything a hidden command may say download and it sends something to your computer. A buddy’s mother was talking to another grandmother she thought. The other grandmother asked " do you want to see something really cool? she clicked on it and it trashed her computer, her computer repair source could not fix it and the computer went into the garbage. Likely that guy/gal is still out there playing hurt on people.

My computer guy put 5 different browsers in my home computer. Explorer, Chrome, Fire fox, Opera and Avast.

My computer guy recommended Opera browser but I like Avast Secure Browser., it blocks any problem sites and give me a warning if a site has any bugs in it.
Some sites will put a bug in your computer and you don't even know that happened..

*OH, I am not a computer guy so check it out on your own. I am not responsible for any computer stuff.
Buck.

Here is the Avast site
Avast Secure Browser | Private browser from Avast

I would also suspect you have some malware. Download Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, make sure you are downloading from Microsoft's site. That runs as an executable, there is no install, it will sometimes find things that other anti-virus would miss.

Use Duckduckgo. Switched to that and never looked back.

I used Kaspersky several years ago and stopped because it's a Russian company. Am going to try PCMatic as soon as my McAfee subscription expires.

Steve

Ditch Norton and get something decent like Kaspersky?

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But prepare yourself for a long, drawn out process of trying to remove Norton. I had to ask Kaspersky for a removal tool. It's free and it worked.

Norton blows.

P.S. and yes, switch to duck duck go.

Norton definitely makes it a bitch to change anything.I had to go to Google under settings and disable it.No more problems.
I had Avast and Kapersky and liked them both but since I have Comcast I just use Norton since it is included.

Back