State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    methylene chloride for polycarbonate

Tom
    And it will give you a very trippy high!!! Door jambs will jump out and hit you as you walk by them. A place I worked at used to buy it in 55 gallon drums.

PS, referring to epoxies as all the same is like referring to metals as all the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dentist uses uv cured epoxy? of some kind to fill teeth. They use a uv light wand as they build layers up. Cure each of several layers in steps as they fill the hole.. They try to get the hole dry and keep it dry as they go. Says it is a glue not a mechanical bond like silver. I think they use a primer coat first?
    Have not used silver fillings for 30+ years.
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckNJ View Post
    it's available in quarts.
    I use a squeeze bottle with a needle to deliver small amounts of mek on the seams.
    The platic is assembled first and the needle run along the edge of the seem.
    it's fused in seconds..

I learned this long ago from a friend who owned a plastic injection mold business.
    This a classic case of mistaken identity:

I did have a bottle of clear liquid that had a eye-dropper for a kid. Worked perfect. I bought it
    from Tap Plastics. So to most people (including me at the time) this stuff is bottled and sold as
    a mystery liquid.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've found a loctite bonder and activator to use with Steel and 75 durometer urethane. Works well, takes a while to cure. Look in Henkel's website for it, since it doesn't appear in the consumer Loctite website.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and then there's the remington nylon 66 stock that is bonded with phenol the same stuff foot dr. use or used to kill the growth of toe nails

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've found Shoe Goo (Goop) to be particularly impressive in numerous hard to glue situations. I used it to splice a serpentine drive belt on my lathe. Over 2 years and still holding, the stuff is very tenacious. Glued the soles back on my Tevas too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    And it will give you a very trippy high!!! Door jambs will jump out and hit you as you walk by them. A place I worked at used to buy it in 55 gallon drums.
    It will also give you carbon monoxide poisoning. Use good ventilation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    Household Goop, Shoe Goo, and E6000 are the same thing, just packaged differently, and sometimes colored for their intended use.

All are really good for most things, especially when you need some flexibility in the joint.
    I second the E6000. This is my go to now for general purpose.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    This a classic case of mistaken identity:

I did have a bottle of clear liquid that had a eye-dropper for a kid. Worked perfect. I bought it
    from Tap Plastics. So to most people (including me at the time) this stuff is bottled and sold as
    a mystery liquid.

Not sure I understand??

BTW the MEK that I am referring to is not the MEK substitute... it's the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In some cases a primer is needed with superglue. I use Loctite 7452. Works good on acetyl.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckNJ View Post
    Not sure I understand??

BTW the MEK that I am referring to is not the MEK substitute... it's the real thing.
    What is there to understand? I refer to a little bottle of clear liquid with a eye-dropper for a lid.
    The reason, if the stuff in a little bottle can sell for what might cost 1/2 gallon in hardware store prices,
    somebody has a good profit for bottling and labeling.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a new tube of Weld-On #16.
    contains:
    Methylene Chloride (75-09-2)
    Methyl Acetate (79-20-9)
    Methyl Ethyl Ketone (78-93-3)
    Methyl Methacrylate Monomer (9-=62=6)

The stuff comes in a can which is a thinned version of the above. This thin version is used to fuse
    edges of sheets. The sales person said that the percentages of the above are different for the tube and
    can. I find the tube version is thin enough to run out of the tube and all over your project.

The stuff does have a long shelf life and I'm probably going to store stuff like that in a Laura Scudder's
    peanut butter jar. The set takes a very short but acceptable amount of time. In my opinion from experience
    the joint I just repaired was done with super-glue and was not good. Unless the adhesion is done with enough
    surface bite the joint is weaker than the material. So, the glue that can melt the connection and turn at least
    as strong as the original material. Doesn't happen with stuff like super-glue or JB Weld, etc.
    Last edited by rons; 07-16-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    Household Goop, Shoe Goo, and E6000 are the same thing, just packaged differently, and sometimes colored for their intended use.

All are really good for most things, especially when you need some flexibility in the joint.
    I found Shoe Goo to be worthless for anything. It could not be the same as E6000. That was a while back, might have changed since.

Never heard of Household Goop, but E6000 is good stuff when you just need to glue something on the substrates they list.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Super glue definitely doesn't work like it used to, unless of course you are trying to stick your fingers together.
    I used that Gorrila two part epoxy, seems to work for most my needs and it is available everywhere.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a new tube of Weld-On #16.
    contains:
    Methylene Chloride (75-09-2)
    Methyl Acetate (79-20-9)
    Methyl Ethyl Ketone (78-93-3)
    Methyl Methacrylate Monomer (9-=62=6)

The stuff comes in a can which is a thinned version of the above. This thin version is used to fuse
    edges of sheets. The sales person said that the percentages of the above are different for the tube and
    can. I find the tube version is thin enough to run out of the tube and all over you project.
    funny, methylene chloride which is a great paint stripper has been banned as a stripper. I wish I could find it.
    When refinishing fine furniture it removes the paint/varnish easily and does not hurt the wood.

The new strippers don't work nearly as easily.

Yet from what you show of the contents, Methylene Chloride is in Weld-On.

Go figure how things work out.. wtf

16. Likes steve45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CITIZEN F16 View Post
    Super glue definitely doesn't work like it used to, unless of course you are trying to stick your fingers together.
    I used that Gorrila two part epoxy, seems to work for most my needs and it is available everywhere.
    Super-glue is the result of trying to find a way to close up battle wounds, move the wounded, re-open and do surgery. Don't
    know what they do but I heard that the idea was finally rejected.

I think super-glue used to attach fake finger nails to ladies finger nails. How they are removed I do not know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Super-glue is the result of trying to find a way to close up battle wounds, move the wounded, re-open and do surgery. Don't
    know what they do but I heard that the idea was finally rejected.

I think super-glue used to attach fake finger nails to ladies finger nails. How they are removed I do not know.
    wrongo... super glue is still used medically.
    Types of Surgical Glue | Healthfully

WHO INVENTED SUPER GLUE?
    Super glue was invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover. He was part of a wartime research team developing clear plastics for use in precision gun sights. They unintentionally discovered a chemical compound of extraordinary stickiness, but they initially saw no use for it in their research.

Only later did Coover see the potential in cyanoacrylates as a glue, and it was produced for commercial sale in 1958 by Loctite. It quickly became hugely popular as a useful and versatile household adhesive.

5 Physical Problems Doctors Fix With Glue | HowStuffWorks