What's new
What's new

OT- O Rings....professional custom made versus DIY cyanoacrylate glue ones

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Or, are the (assuming standard diameter rubber) custom ID made ones also done with glue, so perhaps not really much better than DIY version, except for perhaps more accurate alignment of the glued ends ?

Application involves two O rings, .063" CS and .094" CS.... x 2.430" ID and 2.031" respectively, truck lift gate hydraulic cylinder

Had a product that I made for a few years that used a custom o-ring. Once I made a fixture to keep the ends aligned, there was no way to discern between the two. Fast, cheap, and good. The exception to the rule. :cool:

truck lift gate hydraulic cylinder

You make that cylinder yourself as a one-off, dimensioned in Imperial Persian cubits?

REALLY hard to grok it's seals not being a stock item, somewhere, metric if not US. And having alternate sources, too.

Update: Saw the other thread. Austrian source.. Metric, full stop.

US parts houses are agnostic. Plenty of need. Plenty of Metric in stock. Five bucks each?

I was using glued o-rings (very large diameters,from an O-ring cord)and those worked well. Essential to have a good alignment. After gluing I very lightly sanded the joint area surface with 600 paper.

You make that cylinder yourself as a one-off, dimensioned in Imperial Persian cubits?

REALLY hard to grok it's seals not being a stock item, somewhere, metric if not US. And having alternate sources, too.

Update: Saw the other thread. Austrian source.. Metric, full stop.

US parts houses are agnostic. Plenty of need. Plenty of Metric in stock. Five bucks each?

Where is Nicole Or Kathy to provide a linky ?

BTW HF has both US & Metric in sets.

Where is Nicole Or Kathy to provide a linky ?

BTW HF has both US & Metric in sets.

I've HAVE just about every set I lay eyes on - auto parts and HVAC more than HF, but those, too. Cheaper to keep them put-by than jumping in the motor to go-fetch a ten-cent one @ set costs. There are several different elastomers and refrigerant gas, lubes, or fuels compatibilities in-play not just diameters and pudginess.

They don't go up to 62 mm size in "inexpensive" sets.

A hydraulics-heavy heavy equipment shop might have such, not I. No need. Alban Tractor is just 'round the corner if I did have.

Otherwise, even Amazon has this stuff. No pressing need to DIY stock sizes, just move-over to metric system for the "real" dimensions the Austrian's used.

Or, are the (assuming standard diameter rubber) custom ID made ones also done with glue, so perhaps not really much better than DIY version, except for perhaps more accurate alignment of the glued ends ?

Application involves two O rings, .063" CS and .094" CS.... x 2.430" ID and 2.031" respectively, truck lift gate hydraulic cylinder
1.5 x 61 or 1.5x62 or 1.6x61/62 would be all quite close to the first and 2.4 x 51.6 is spot on for the second one.
About 0.3 usd per piece if you buy more than one at a time.

1.5 x 61 or 1.5x62 or 1.6x61/62 would be all quite close to the first and 2.4 x 51.6 is spot on for the second one.
About 0.3 usd per piece if you buy more than one at a time.

Prezactly. Thutty cents, American. PITA for the makers to package, ship, stock the silly things. Carquest price may as well be 100% "burden" - much as it is with table-salt.

Use but two out of a "set" I'm at break-even on mogas to go-fetch alone. Use THREE? I could shitcan the rest and still be money ahead.

All this chatter and no one has yet to answer the actual question....do commercial sources of low quantity custom O rings simply glue strip stock or somehow mold all new rings ? Doesn't matter really, but curious if there is a way to create all new O rings in small quanties without glue involved ? Seems like at the low prices it would be a money loser either way.

All this chatter and no one has yet to answer the actual question....do commercial sources of low quantity custom O rings simply glue strip stock or somehow mold all new rings ? Doesn't matter really, but curious if there is a way to create all new O rings in small quanties without glue involved ? Seems like at the low prices it would be a money loser either way.

(hot) vulcanizing from bar stock. More durable than superglued.
Small ones can be also manufactured by turning from larger stock.

Never had custom o rings made, seals yep, o rings have always bought off the shelf and the shelves are pretty extensive, that said, i do need some itty little ones to rebuild my acclube pumps (one that goes on the small end of the plunger) and there imperial and proving a bitch to find, depending on qty, im willing to bet a few places just turn them like they do the seals, though possibly not at these sizes. My experience there's no issue with glued ones, so long as the cuts and joint are good for static sealing applications, Pays to make em a little long though so the joints not in tension.

Dont make the assumption that the metric and imperial 1.6mm are cross compatible, there not the american 1/16" is just that nats more and its enough to be the diffrence bettwen leaky or not or a torn seal or not! 1.5mm is not the std metric cross section, 1.6mm is the std and nearer your 63 thou!

Surely it is a money-loser as onsies. Multi-cavity molds can do MANY at a go, and it is not a SLOW go. "Somebody" may fab them and "weld" them on bespoke machinery, too.

Person could go a loooooong way as a "custom fab" just by being better able to read more catalogs. Be happy our Finnish friend gave that a miss!

:)

If you want to be ABLE to make onesies to save time or in emergencies? Army uses RTV for lots of stuff it isn't expected to last very long.

Many of the more serious elastomers can be had as two-part pourables. "Silicone rubbers" were ones I had used extensively at one time. Be aware that among other things (expensive!), they have finite shelf lives. Not talking RTV or bathtub caulk here.

Others can be had as reels of round stock, heat-joinable or ultrasound weldable. How many diameters would you care to stock? Extrude though a sized nozzle onto a turntable? Now we are talking. But which elastomer, and will it do for YOUR job?

We made our own molds to make similar elastomeric goods in MANY experimental materials and carefully controlled durometers as part of ongoing research over fifty-plus years to fight feedback in hearing-aids. Microphones and reproducers had to live in close proximity and up to 135 dBA of audio gain. Until the "electret" microphone arrived, they were devilishly sensitive to shock as well.

Top of the market goods, if only because the founder, his sons, grandson, and somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 (over time) of the staff were also hard-of-hearing and had need of the best as could be had of our own best efforts.

We didn't break-out that minutia from the overall R&D budget, but most went through a 24 hour cure to stabilize, then off for a week, minimum, of artificial environmental stress testing to simulate age effects and exposure to chemicals (human perspiration and body oils, organic acids, etc.)

Commercial "O" rings have all those R&D efforts and field history behind them w/r fluids and gases and such. Air conditioning systems over time have needed three different elastomers for O rings as the refrigerant gas brew and compatible lubes morphed and the earlier elastomers were no longer compatible.

You'd be wise to test a DIY, even if using what you BELIEVE is the same elastomer and process as the ready-mades. And of course WHICH of those ready-mades suits the need, and did your brew match it?

And there goes the budget. Fully-burdened costs, and what did PM turn up?

30 cents US for a stock item, 30 pounds, Sterling for custom. Trust this - it isn't the cost of the elastomer. Somebody has Day Jobs on payroll and rent to pay.

Or - when WE got it wrong, as we did do, Model 990 - the need to supply two units under warranty for every ONE sold new as three successive revisions of elastomers failed us due to stiffening "too fast" once in the field. ELSE turning into MUSH!

Cheap-ass bottle jacks have been known to leak, too, yah?

20CW

Odd... pretty sure I answered it the way it was originally worded... Oh well...

To answer this one, yes. :cool: They do both.( more actually )
Some glue them. Some pour. Some inject. Some ultrasonically weld. I'm sure there are more options.

To answer the second part of this one, yes. See above. The money is less the issue than availability. And, many times, an "o-ring" seal is not used on a round part. So some times the ability to pour/inject/glue/sonicly weld said shaped "o-ring" is the driver for it. Not cost.

Dont make the assumption that the metric and imperial 1.6mm are cross compatible, there not the american 1/16" is just that nats more and its enough to be the diffrence bettwen leaky or not or a torn seal or not! 1.5mm is not the std metric cross section, 1.6mm is the std and nearer your 63 thou!

Standard? BS-standard ISO- or DIN-standard? ;)
1.6mm is rarity in 61 or 62 mm size but 1.5mm is available from dozen webshops in US.
Or I could get the 1.5mm locally here even on saturday night..:D

Or I could get the 1.5mm locally here even on saturday night..:D

Damned things seem to never unroll when you want them too, but I'd still not trust a Durex in a liftgate, regardless. Wrong kind of hydraulic fluid. Or so I would surely HOPE!

US measure & conversions don't enter the equation for Austrian-made goods, nor auto/truck market much even out of US factories. About our most heavily and most pervasively metrifried industry, and for easily a quarter century already.

Damned things seem to never unroll when you want them too, but I'd still not trust a Durex in a liftgate, regardless.

US measure & conversions don't enter the equation for Austrian-made goods, nor auto/truck market much even out of US factories. About our most heavily and most pervasively metrifried industry, and for easily a quarter century already.

You should use polyurethane-rubber based Durex "realfeel" brand with liftgate mineral lubricants. Natural latex is not any good with mineral oils. :D
polyurethane is also lot stronger mechanically..in case your piston...liftgate is over-pressurized with viag..vigorous use.

You should use polyurethane-rubber based Durex "realfeel" brand with liftgate mineral lubricants. Natural latex is not any good with mineral oils. :D
polyurethane is also lot stronger mechanically..in case your piston...liftgate is over-pressurized with viag..vigorous use.

You keep this up, I shall have to go and borrow a computer with the advert blocking turned off so I can grant a "like"!

:D

Back