What's new
What's new

OT: Obsolete baler teeth, need source or how to.

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Ok, the teeth for my Case Baler are long gone....., broken off, missing, and no longer available anywhere new or used.....baler was only made from 58 thru 60.

Long story short I need to replace all the teeth.( 60 plus)

So..... anyone here have a wire machine? Anybody know of somebody who has one?

Anyway to pull this off in the shop?

No one makes any tooth close to this, been there, tried that. The tine spacing is unique, or they drag the guides.

baler teeth.jpg

I was close once to getting some teeth, there was some "famous" old farm store somewhere in the midwest.

I found out about them right after they closed, all the stock was sold or scrapped.

Balers for "idiot cubes" are obsolete. Especially ones that are over 50 years old. You can probably move up 30 years in vintage for little more than the scrap value and either the knotters or wire tie parts will still have parts available.

you could make these with a hossfeld.
I am surprised nobody does.
The trick is finding the right round bar- I am pretty sure it aint A36 or 1018. And heat treat, if needed.
Because you want it annealed, to bend it like that, but then my guess is you want it hard, to stay that shape in use.

Dirt simple if you needed say ten thousand a month- you set up a big 4 slide, and you run em thru a tunnel oven.

But for a few, its fussy.

First, you need to find out how hard they are, and what alloy you can actually buy in that size wire, without having to order an entire mill run of 40,000lbs plus. The ideal stuff may or may not be available in 12' lengths.

Assuming you can find it annealed or half hard, you could easily wind these on a hossfeld, with a simple lathe turned die for the ID, two coils, one at each end of a piece, then bend the ends and center.

Then, heat treat or harden as needed.

Scale is hard to tell from your photo, but I am guessing maybe 3/16" in diameter, 1 1/2" coils, mas o menos?

I could do it, but I am too busy and you cant afford me. But you could do it, this is a simple bend on a hossfeld. Here is a picture of bending 3/8" round around a die that is maybe 3" OD. You can bend as many coils as you want, or partials. Its not hard, the leverage multiplier of a hossfeld makes it a one handed operation up to about 1/2" round, cold. But it does take some time. You can set stops, or just mark the material with a silver pencil.

however, my guess is you were hoping there was a cnc 4 slide somewhere that can just spit out 60 of these in a half hour- which, there may be, but its a half million dollar machine that takes several ton spools of wire, and its in a dedicated production line. Not many wire slide job shops left in the world- if they are, they are gonna be somewhere on the axis between Detroit and Providence, and most likely, not even gonna know what an internet is.

Attachments

• hossfeld3.JPG
    hossfeld3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 360
Other thing worth adding, if you make a set-up, do about a dozen sets, chances are you can easily make it profitable by flogging off the spares on the bay.

Its almost a cert these days if you want a obsolete part, a few others will too, just gotta find them and since WWW, thats a hell of a lot easier and more likely.

Other thing is, the custom spring places over here would not want to setup - do 60, but there’s a good chance they would give you a pretty good price on a few hundred and they have the sources for the wire + know how to harden it just right :-)

Other thing worth adding, if you make a set-up, do about a dozen sets, chances are you can easily make it profitable by flogging off the spares on the bay.

Its almost a cert these days if you want a obsolete part, a few others will too, just gotta find them and since WWW, thats a hell of a lot easier and more likely.

Other thing is, the custom spring places over here would not want to setup - do 60, but there’s a good chance they would give you a pretty good price on a few hundred and they have the sources for the wire + know how to harden it just right :-)

A good answer, and that would be my approach, ..................from experience I know they're far from the easiest thing to make and get right??, and broken raker tines can do A LOT of damage inside a baler or forager, not to mention those that don't go through the works - going through tyres!

I know this is not the place for this but has anyone here poked or tied wires on the older
case wire tie machines.
I started tieing wires on a case baler in 45. I was 7 and my older brother poked wire with the
steel fork with slots in the sides at 11 was almost grown up. Some days it don't seem so long ago. Kenny

My local Coop was the last place to buy baler wire a few years ago. People would come hundreds of miles to buy it. Don't know if it is still possible to find. If it just has to look nice and not work in the field it should be possible to anneal/ modify the attachment point in the middle of one of hundreds of available teeth.
Rob

In both the neighbors grain head (that scattered and destroyed a bunch of teeth and the reel)
and the other neighbors balers missing/breaking teeth, I have asked the question....

why not try a broom strip section ?
http://www.united-rotary.com/pdfs/URB_2012catalog.pdf page 13

The long thin (1/2" wide x 6" long tbristles) bolt on in place, the first
time past the sickle bar, they get neatly trimmed to whatever is needed.

Some of them (for road cleaning) are quite stiff/aggressive.

Time to make some mounting adaptors, then. Something that lets you use cheap individual teeth, like the David Bradley ones, for example. Spacing to be determined by the mounting adaptor instead of the actual wind of the spring. Choose a very common donor, long enough to cut off a bent end or otherwise modify. Use bushings to sleeve the coil if necessary. Make a carrier that holds two single teeth but mounts like your dual-tooth. Making 60 (or 30?) steel adaptor blocks with a thru-hole and a couple set screws or clamps is much easier than spec'ing and manufacturing a short run of teeth where hardness and spring temper are critical. Plus, you can easily make and sell kits to let others do the same, for however many units are still in operation out there besides yours.

Chip

Back