What's new
What's new

OT Odd Behavior of Ford Ranger Throttle.

Diamond
While my Subaru gets some R&R, I am driving a borrowed 1997 Ford Ranger pickup. If I drive at 30 MPH in forth gear on a level road and take my foot off the pedal, it continues at 30. Sometimes it will eventually let off or if I step on the clutch, the engine will momentarily blip, then drop back to idle. The clutch has a switch to prevent starting when in gear and the same switch seems to control the throttle effect. The owner warned me about it and told me to step on the clutch. He is sure it is not a sticking linkage and I agree because it is too consistent. It appears to be controlled by the computer. Does anyone know anything about Ford computers?

Bill

Idle control motor on the throttle body could be sticking. I think earlier Ford's had an issue. No guarantees just something to check

Next time you drive by the auto parts store pull in and have them plug their code reader in.

Free check, might narrow it down to a TPS or other sensor going bad.

This is from a friend that has spent way too much time screwing around with Ford Rangers.

"It is very likely the IAC valve and throttle adjustment, small chance of vacuum leak. Easy check is all vac hoses and caps. replacent IAC is not too bad, usually comes with gasket. Install new valve and set the base idle down where it belongs. The reason the clutch makes a differnce is the computer has a subroutine to drop idle with clutch in to make for smoother shifting or something like that."

Back