What's new
What's new

Dayton Miter Horizontal Bandsaw like Ellis 1600?

Your link says that model is discontinued. That shouldn't be a problem unless you need a gearbox, which is probably the most likely to fail part. However, you can probably find a suitable replacement somewhere.

How much are they asking for it?

Your link says that model is discontinued. That shouldn't be a problem unless you need a gearbox, which is probably the most likely to fail part. However, you can probably find a suitable replacement somewhere.

How much are they asking for it?

Seller is asking $750

I’ve been through a few different saws, current one is a Wells A7 completely rebuilt, but a 1/2” blade and not a lot of head weight make it a slow machine.

I had a Carolina, wouldn’t wish that POS on anyone.

Had a Johnson Model B, never should have sold it, nice little saw with similar capacity to my Wells A7.

Ryan

That IS an Ellis 1600, other than the paint color.

I am not that familiar with the 1600 but i think there are differences. Here is the ad for the local one.

Horizontal Metal Cutting Bandsaw 8"x 1" capacity - tools - by owner - sale

The blade guides are different, the table area lacks the curved fence, the blade tension knob is squared off not round and the spring is a single instead of a double. It’s just enough different that i asked here to see if someone has used one.

Was there an older generation of the 1600 that was identical to this one?

Ryan

Probably just a difference of details in age. It looks so much like my 1600 I would call it a brother. $750 is a good price. They are $2550 at the local weld supply.

Ed.

I am not that familiar with the 1600 but i think there are differences. Here is the ad for the local one.

Horizontal Metal Cutting Bandsaw 8"x 1" capacity - tools - by owner - sale

The blade guides are different, the table area lacks the curved fence, the blade tension knob is squared off not round and the spring is a single instead of a double. It’s just enough different that i asked here to see if someone has used one.

Was there an older generation of the 1600 that was identical to this one?

Ryan

It is unequivocally an Ellis!

I picked up the saw on Friday, got it back to the shop and adjusted the guides. Came with a sharp Starret blade installed.

The sacrificial aluminum cutting surface is only 1/2 as wide as it should be and seems a little over thick. Could someone measure the thickness of the aluminum plate?

Roller bearing guides are in ok shape, but i will probably order a full set.

Does anyone have a spare screw vise laying around? I’d like to add one to the kit.

The lower chip tray is also missing, I’ll bend one up.

I was surprised that it had a Chinese motor installed, was that original equipment or likely a replacement?

While I was as the sellers shop he threw in a parts washer, a partial set of 5C collets, and drawbar from a 13” Enco.

Ryan

...The sacrificial aluminum cutting surface is only 1/2 as wide as it should be and seems a little over thick. Could someone measure the thickness of the aluminum plate?

The plate on our Ellis 1600 is 3/8" thick...

Roller bearing guides are in ok shape, but i will probably order a full set.

I just replaced all the guide bearings on our saw. I have the numbers for the generic bearings if you want them...

The plate on our Ellis 1600 is 3/8" thick...

I just replaced all the guide bearings on our saw. I have the numbers for the generic bearings if you want them...

Thanks for the thickness, I'd really appreciate the bearing identification.

Ryan

Back