OT Oz wildfires - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT Oz wildfires

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have read that pre-european takeover the aborigines had a controlled burn program. The St. Louis area Nature Conservancy has had one on their lands for a number of years.

Bill

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greens have infiltrated everywhere ,and very effectively stop any kind of management effort that the landowner tries to do.....Some yankee spy satellite provider can now rat out anyone who cuts a tree,and I guarantee you will have council inspectors within hours writing out multi thousand dollar penalties .......my comment is "burn baby burn".......and I might add a lot of those burnt out round where my property is are idiotic tree huggers with trees and vegetation right up to their houses......I wanted remove some trees ,the green planners in the council want a professional ecological &,biodiversity survey by an "accredited " company ....cost quoted was around $20,000....thats right ,$20k,and no guarantee of getting the approval......The fire service can over ride the council and issue a permit,but no way they will go against the green mafia.,they say to apply for planning permission.Even poisoning trees is risky,and no way I would poison a tree I had asked about removing.....in any case,[I] cant remove the dead tree,have to get a qualified arborist to turn it into a "stable nesting site"......and furthermore,all fallen limbs are to be left on the ground for "habitat. preservation".....

4. Likes digger doug, russler, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I bet trump never picked up a broom or vacuum cleaner in his pampered life. Much less went out and swept the forest or the sidewalk in front of his house.
    Bill D.
    Why do some of you feel compelled to inject politics into everything?

Trump, Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, etc. all the way back to George Washington had nothing to do with fires in AUSTRALIA, and even forest management (or lack of it) in California is a state issue.

6. Likes digger doug, Hodge, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Make your homes from concrete:
    WAFFLE-CRETE.COM!

Place wood siding on outside for authentic look, and trusses on roof for a "normal" shingled roof.

If it all burns up, you still have the concrete structure (make real closable, sealable shutters)to keep it from the inside (large overhang helps here as well)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Why do some of you feel compelled to inject politics into everything?

Trump, Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, etc. all the way back to George Washington had nothing to do with fires in AUSTRALIA, and even forest management (or lack of it) in California is a state issue.
    Because some people just can't not say anything without it being political?

Everyone is offended about everyone and anything now. Just read an article about (an apparently?) rich man saying he would not date "woke" girls/women and he doesn't believe in white privelege. Fine, his life his choice, but jeez the media is eating him alive for those comments!

Sorr, can't find the article now. There must have been another outraged person somewhere and that story got pushed back LoL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Realistically, burns are all very well and good, but they do naff-all when the wind is up, it's a 100F+ and the canopy is alight 50 or 60 feet up! One of the towns here had a hazard reduction burn 6 weeks before the main event, there was still lots of stuff to burn when the fire front came through. Even the grass stubble, which you might otherwise consider benign, in these drought conditions will support sheet flame that will travel faster than you can run.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might a couple of years of drought have exacerbated the situation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Greens have infiltrated everywhere ,and very effectively stop any kind of management effort that the landowner tries to do.....Some yankee spy satellite provider can now rat out anyone who cuts a tree,and I guarantee you will have council inspectors within hours writing out multi thousand dollar penalties .......my comment is "burn baby burn".......and I might add a lot of those burnt out round where my property is are idiotic tree huggers with trees and vegetation right up to their houses......I wanted remove some trees ,the green planners in the council want a professional ecological &,biodiversity survey by an "accredited " company ....cost quoted was around $20,000....thats right ,$20k,and no guarantee of getting the approval......The fire service can over ride the council and issue a permit,but no way they will go against the green mafia.,they say to apply for planning permission.Even poisoning trees is risky,and no way I would poison a tree I had asked about removing.....in any case,[I] cant remove the dead tree,have to get a qualified arborist to turn it into a "stable nesting site"......and furthermore,all fallen limbs are to be left on the ground for "habitat. preservation".....
    The road to hell..................

Bill

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

im mostly past caring,but I do get p d off when one of the treehuggers is burnt out with no insurance ,whine like a dog about the govt handout ,and a lot of morons on facebook start giving them money......these green scum wont insure ,always have "ethical" issues with insurers maybe investing in coal or oil,this supposedly gives these idiots a moral reason to bludge off all those who do insure..Same scum who have the time to attend council meetings and political rallies,and scream insults at anyone who diss them.

13. Likes russler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Might a couple of years of drought have exacerbated the situation?
    Partly summer droughts but also poor weather for burning in the off season have increased fuel loads. Australia has these cycles and its not the first time, next will be a round of flooding.

It's interesting to note that NZ has a warm spring and slow, cool, and late summer every season Australia has serious fires. We've also had days earlier in the month when the smoke tints the sun a yellow colour.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pretty easy to get me started on councils, the local council dug up a carpark to put in a 2 level underground carpark with supposedly open space for everyone to enjoy,
    Car park is nice, the entry is too tight a turn- the open space is mostly paved with couple of structures, big rocks a bit of green grass. Nothing open about it ...its enclosed by structures.
    They planted trees on top, yes trees on a concrete base.
    Total crap on top, grass being the exception.
    I suggested they build (spoke to a councillor a long time ago ) a nice large format shopping centre with underground carpark, not many large format stores here so would bring in a few big box stores and more choice, or even let some smaller shops expand to a bigger store.
    We have to drive some distance to get to those stores.
    They could have rented it out and paid for the building eventually outright, (they would have had a decent deposit as they paid cash for the current mess) had free parking and the council would own it in a few years.
    Then ratepayers would have a asset that pays them money offers a service earns a lot of money for years to come.

Now its pay parking, with honeymoon period.....don't know what the real cost is yet.

there is a reasonable size park adjacent to this council mess, if you want grass just walk across the road no big deal.Its a nice enough park.

here
    About the project
    Prahran Square - Photos | Facebook

A shot showing the old carpark pre development and the adjacent park
    screen-shot-2020-01-22-4.05.46-pm.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While no American president caused our bushfires
    Our own government surely didnít help avoid them.

Criminal mismanagement of water (foreign corporations actually somehow own our water. Donít ask me how that works because I canít figure it out)

Our government has allowed massive foreign mining corporations to RAPE our land and resources for massive profits with no tax paid to benefit us, as any water they didnít drain from the great artesian basin, they poisoned it.

So that contributed to the bushfire ravaged areas to be drier than normal during the winters.

Next we succumbed to the greens and banned back burning and clearing of dried vegetation from forest floors.

Next our government gutted the funding to our various fire fighting and rescue departments, some funding cuts of up to 75%.

And when the fires started really burning, our prime minister went on holiday to Hawaii, lied about his whereabouts and then lied about when he was going to return.

His arrival to some of the burnt out country towns his liberal government had abandoned just a few short years ago, was met with great distaste and the locals chased him out after he tried for photo opportunities to show in the best election just how much he cared for the victims. He even brought a bag of biscuits to one town, as a token of gratitude after cutting millions of dollars worth of funding for fire fighters.

We Aussies might be rough, but we certainly arenít stupid.

So yeah, kinda has a bit to do with politics.

Politics didnít light the fire
    But politics has withheld our own fucking water from us in the name of opportunistic water rationing with the intent to profit from creating false demand.

Politics didnít blow the fires all over the country.
    But politics opted not to invest in a fleet of water bombing aircraft last year.

Politics didnít kill the 25+ (I believe itís up to now) innocent people during these fires
    But politics chose not to meet with veteran fire chiefs to discuss the brewing perfect storm of bushfire conditions, and politics also decided to sack 26 of these fire chiefs out of the 36 we had around the country.

Weíve lost lives
    Weíve lost homes
    Weíve lost communities
    Weíve lost 1 BILLION native animals
    Weíve lost public infrastructure
    Weíve lost any remaining faith we had in our leaders
    Weíve been blindly fooled into ďnot making it political at this time as itís a bit too raw and heart breaking at the momentĒ

But at least our economy is ďgrowingĒ

Multiple videos of our fire fighters who had already lost their own home, but still fighting to save others homes, who seem to wanna make any conversation political. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

As a 26 year old, Iím fast learning that this world isnít the wonderful and caring place I thought it was growing up.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That so?...Ill tell you this,landowners have been prevented from doing their own burnoffs for twenty years and more by green activists and moles in every level of government.I grew up with continuous burnoffs on safe occasions,right up until the hitlers in the fire service decided they had to control everything.....which is very typical of millennials ....they demand to controll everything.........next Im facing huge fines for using common sense ,because I ve defied some jumped up hitler......The most ridiculous outcome of all this devastation is that somehow the abo s know all about fire ,and now must be paid millions to exercise this knowledge...........Landowners to be bypassed and demonized again........Maybe the ancient fire wisdom comes from a flagon of goom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The most ridiculous outcome of all this devastation is that somehow the abo s know all about fire ,and now must be paid millions to exercise this knowledge...........Landowners to be bypassed and demonized again........Maybe the ancient fire wisdom comes from a flagon of goom.

Yeah but it's not all bad. If I get queried about what I'm doing I just say that the guys from the Aboriginal Land Council approved it. As they're my neighbours on one side that causes the nodding heads and rapid departure of whoever is asking. They don't want to buy into that sort of political fight where they might be labeled a bunch of racists.

More than one way to skin a cat.

PDW

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they had to control everything.....which is very typical of millennials ....they demand to controll everything
    Here we go again. Heard the phrase OK boomer?

I donít disagree with you.
    I believe you know your land better than anyone else would, and you should be able to do anything you want with it to keep you safe, warm and fed.

Us millennials arenít to blame for the never ending, soul rotting restrictions placed on every facet of our lives. Thatís been happening since before I was a twinkle in dads eye. Iím afraid itís the 55 and over crowd that sold us out many years ago for profit, and turned tax payers into cash cows, constantly milked at every turn for any dollar we have by inventing crazy laws that you will break and they collect revenue for it.

Werenít hippies and tree-huggers around in the 70ís?

But hey, lump it on the millennials, to us the pile of blame already stinks, so shovelling more shit onto it wonít make it stink any worse.
    Last edited by Themanualguy; 01-24-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

landowners have been prevented from doing their own burnoffs for twenty years.

You say this, but then??

the hitlers in the fire service decided they had to control everything.....which is very typical of millennials
    ????

20 years ago, Millennials were still in school??
    Is that the time when we some how orchestrated such grand revamping of our fire prevention tactics?? Try as I might I donít recall trying to control back burning when I was just starting school.

A baby boomer boilermaker once told me there sometimes is no substitute for brute force and ignorance, and Iíll tell you he was the embodiment of that statement. Never seen a bloke walk into crane hooks so many times. He would fire off like a rocket and blame everyone else for any problem we had, but then slowly realise it was due to his actions but would never admit it and youíd never hear the word sorry come out of his mouth.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well i am sure this event brings out the best and worst in people....going through some people at the moment trying to get gear i have utilised, just going higher up the tree and see what they say. Had the gear prior to all of this...

Red Cross is coping some heat about dishing out donations and are stopping social media after security incidents, they have paid staff in their organisation. Red Cross shops are run like a business have a budget to get to, have managers above managers etc, as well as volunteer workers.
    Anyway here is the article in the paper about it.

Red Cross goes offline in bid to protect staff after security incident