What's new
What's new

Ot parking ticket advice

Bob-J-H

Hot Rolled
So I get this parking ticket in the mail for expired tags. It is in the city of Los Angeles. I live 60 miles from there. I have not been there in about 5 years. I don't recognize the plate number. Under vehicle it says other. I write them and give them this info. They write back and tell me they will consider it after I pay the ticket. ( What the hell). Now the ticket is overdue. They say if I don't pay, I won't be able to register my cars with the DMV. Has anyone been through this? Any advice? Bob

You may not want to hear this but my advice is to pay the ticket. You are not going to win this one by refusing to pay. You may or may not be able to get restitution in the future by presenting your case. It has been my experience that most government agencies will play hardball with you if you refuse to pay something they think you owe them. Forget logic and common sense. I hope you can work this out somehow. This is the kind of thing that just eats at you. Make darn sure you are paying the ticket to the right place and not some scammer.

Figure out who is in charge of that type of ticket in that jurisdiction, and call them (from the number on the website, not any number on the ticket). If it is a scam, they won't have any record of the ticket and you know to ignore it, if not, they can (maybe) advise on getting it cleared up.

So letter is addressed to you, but you do not recognize the plate number? Have you sold any vehicles in past few years? And if so did you leave the plates on them?

Friend had a similar situation last year, it went to a car she sold 2 years prior, still running on expired plates in Austin.

I just sold a car and later got a parking ticket for it in the mail. Called up the PD that issued ticket and told them that I sold car and had the release of liabilty date stamped from the DMV prior to ticket. I took the paperwork to the PD (there was a seargent whos job it was to deal with disputed parking tickets). He said should be no problem and we got a letter from them showing it had been cleared a few days later.
The paperwork we got seemed to say if it was not paid then that particular vehicle's registration could not be renewed unti paid.
Something smell fishy if they are telling you NOTHING you own can be renewed until this is paid.
Call or go to the office that says they issued ticket and see why it got sent to you. Maybe even say car has been parked for the last year or so.... Unless they have you on a camera that reads Lic plates and then your just busted.

This is the OP. Thank you for the advice so far, keep it coming. Let me answer a few questions. This is no scam, everything is official. In this state we do not remove the license plates. Just pay it, my pride won't let me. I had a car get towed a few years ago. After it was impounded the fees were so much, I told them to just keep it, I signed over the ownership papers. Could that be it, I don't know. I also had a license plate stolen off my car many years back. Maybe that is it. If they only keep me from registering that particular license plate, who cares. Like I said keep it coming. Bob

city of Los Angeles.????
I would check to see if the address is correct for paying LA tickets..and if so just pay it..

Plus if the check is made to City of LA or the like..then likely not a scam..

Likely a plate scanner, rather than a plate scammer. Pay or not, but you'll want to see an image. And look thru the old family photos to see if the number used to be yours. That will inform your next steps, if any.

I’m a police officer
I don’t understand how you can get a ticket for a violation like expired tags in the mail?
A parking ticket I understand , I even understand the red light and speed cameras, but expired tags is generally written in person.
You say you don’t recognize the plate I’d contact the dmv, get a letter saying that plate is not registered to you. Would not be the first time a court clerk or secretary entered the wrong info.
Plus, this is still America , you have a right to due process, go to the court date, if there’s no court date it’s a scam

They gave you a plate #... Have you seen what that is registered to yet? If its in your name???
*Should* be a simple call to the DMV, but most likely a "submit this form" type of a thing.

Quick stolen plates story.. Back in high school, kid I knew (sort of friends with), cops came to his house...
Apparently somebody had stolen a silver Accord months ago, and swapped plates with his Mom's silver accord..
She never noticed.. The "criminals" ended up doing something stupid, cops put 2&2 together and
they brought her plate back to her.

So I get this parking ticket in the mail for expired tags. It is in the city of Los Angeles. I live 60 miles from there. I have not been there in about 5 years. I don't recognize the plate number. Under vehicle it says other. I write them and give them this info. They write back and tell me they will consider it after I pay the ticket. ( What the hell). Now the ticket is overdue. They say if I don't pay, I won't be able to register my cars with the DMV. Has anyone been through this? Any advice? Bob

It is probably an error in the ticket as to the license number. You didn't say whether your license tags were expired. That's a key point. If not, then it's reasonably certain that there has been a mistake made.

My daughter once received a ticked in the mail for going through a toll booth in the San Diego, CA area. She hasn't ever been there. I wrote a letter to the court for her and explained that she lives in Northern California and was not in the area of the alleged violation at the time in question.

We received a letter about a month later stating that the ticked was cancelled and that it was someone else.

I'd write a letter explaining the matter. You shouldn't pay it but also don't ignore it.

Since the date is now past for paying it, you might consider a trip to L.A. to show the matter to the court clerk in person. JMO.

Good luck.

California? LA?

Good luck!

You just made me think of the song "Police Truck" by Dead Kennedys
...got a black uniform and a silver badge....
I love the dedication at the beginning of this old clip: this song is dedicated to diane banker-buttlicker finesteine ..the dragonlady with no fuckin heart !!
dead kennedy's police truck - Yahoo Video Search Results
Jello (lead singer/song writer)really went after Gov moonbeam back then also.

Last edited:
Some places make folks pay ticket first then allow fight...legal and stupid and runs are being changed as stupid...and not fair to poor folks...really...All folks.

Simple process.

Visit LOCAL law enforcement office and ask for some help.

Simply explain your situation and ask if someone can run the plate to see who it belongs to and the history

They usually can do this but not tell you anything if it never belonged to you due to privacy...but...

If it never belonged to you they should be able to forward that report or make a simple official note of sone sort that you can send to whatever jurisdiction to clear this.

They also MAY be able to contact the writing or citing jurisdiction to assist or advise next steps if it was an error.

Always smile and be the nicest guy they ever met and things will go better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like a vehicle the OP used to own, plates never got transferred over. Happened to me in the past. Those change of ownership records need to be sent in when you transfer a vehicle.

Unrelated- I got a speeding ticket in the mail from an unmanned speed camera. The State passed a new law last year allowing them. The citation was issued the day before the law went into effect.

I mailed a check and a letter complaining that the ticket was not lawful due to the date it was issued (it was me, and I was speeding so I didn't really have much to cry about).

They sent back half the money and left the infraction on my record.

Back