What's new
What's new

1 15/32 - 32 Tap

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf source for a 1 15/32 - 32 UNS tap?
I desperately need a 4fl bottoming variety to chase some parts that does not take the mating piece.

Looked at all the usual suspects, unfortunately no-go.

Thank You

It looks like you might be in the size range for a collapsing tap.

That way, you can buy chasers for the pitch needed.

Also, they make a "non-collapsing" less expensive body to hold the inserted
chasers.

Well, this was the first time I've heard of collapsible taps and heads, and must say that they could be the cat's meow for the right application.
While mine would be a similarly right application, the total qty ( 5 pcs ) would not justify the expense.

I know that this tap exist as I was given one a couple years back to use for this very same part/application, but me, the IDIOT has properly misplaced it!

Delrin body, three 32-pitch chasers, modified flathead cap screw with shallow taper to match CTSK in nose of delrin body, set chasers to nominal pitch diameter, then use screw to open up as needed?

If you got fancy, you could use a tapered drawbar so that a nut at the drive end opened up the thread, then you could (slightly) collapse it again to remove without risk to the threads. Just measure how much the stud protrudes through the nut, and reset to that value for the next part.

In a pinch, if its not a million of them, you can make a half ass tap to clean that up..

17-4 at an H900 will get you through most materials that aren't really hard.. If you
don't have an oven (pottery kiln?), even a 4140, torched and dunked will do ya..

You won't have the proper reliefs on your tap, but for a few thou in a non-horrible
material, at a lowish qty.. It'll get the parts out the door.

That's $237 + shipping - to make life easy call it $150 OUCH!……………. / 5 parts? = $50 ea, ……………………. just to clean up a thread :eek: - I hope those parts have enough in them :(

I don't know, if I were to go to any of the specials outfits in this country for that it would almost certainly cost more, and would in all likelyhood be a 3+ week lead time...

Having a place like that that actually keeps things like that in stock would be a godsend on occasion!

I don't know, if I were to go to any of the specials outfits in this country for that it would almost certainly cost more, and would in all likelyhood be a 3+ week lead time...

Having a place like that that actually keeps things like that in stock would be a godsend on occasion!

I'm not denying that it's a good (ish) price for what it is Gregor, ………..more the fact that it might have to be bought for only 5 parts, ………...especially as the OP's original is in his shop somewhere etc etc etc

Well, this was the first time I've heard of collapsible taps and heads, and must say that they could be the cat's meow for the right application.
While mine would be a similarly right application, the total qty ( 5 pcs ) would not justify the expense.

I know that this tap exist as I was given one a couple years back to use for this very same part/application, but me, the IDIOT has properly misplaced it!

You don't amortize the whole thing over (5) parts, much like you didn't the original tap.

The body, being that it can be used with many different chasers, and will last a very long time,
should only be "paid for" by this (5) pc job, with a charge of maybe 2-3% of the total tool cost.
Much like a tool holder or attachment, not a wearing item.

The chasers, get paid for, but with a higher percentage, as they are "job specific", but not completely
worn out after the (5) part job. They are a wear item.

Seymour,
If you can hold it in a lathe, pick up the thread and
chase it with a single point tool. There are also some
internal thread restorer tools out there for way less than a new tap. Or maybe file or polish the OD thread to fit. Send me a PM and I'll give you a quote to chase them.
spaeth

Well, $237 wouldn't be bad, except ... that's a 1 15/32 - 12 tap. ( unless I'm 'tarded and can't see correctly )

Yeah, I just put my eyeballs on and looked at it again.the 15/32-32 and the 1 15/32-12 are across the page from each other. Visions just aint what it used to be. Still yet, that's a good company to keep in the favorites for really odd stuff....

Back