What's new
What's new

Starrett New vs Old vs ???

brewday

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some new tools including dial indicators, combo squares, machinists squares, etc... I have a few concerns, after doing some research it seems as though the quality isn't there like it used to. This is going back as far as 10 years ago from posts I've read on here. Would you guys recommend buying older Starrett off Ebay or going with a completely different manufacturer? I don't mind paying a premium for quality but after reading these posts I'm in doubt as to what I will receive. Is this the general consensus or rare isolated instances?

I prefer the old Starrett stuff. Fraction of the cost, and I think for some things the quality is slightly better on the older things. Their 230 0-1" micrometer is like $250 brand new, I've bought a couple on ebay that were in the $50-$60 range. Just as good as new and didn't break the bank. If I recall correctly a lot of their stuff is made in China and assembled in Athol "made in USA" :rolleyes5: The new stuff isnt terrible, I have a couple new tools like dial calipers that my work has bought for me. Overall nice tools and work great, but when I buy things myself or for my home shop I just go to ebay, as said before, great quality stuff at a fraction of the cost.

Older stuff is definitely better. I have a newer 436 1" mic and the numbers are laser marked, not acid etched, surprisingly difficult to read compared to the old ones. I don't think I'll be buying new Starrett any time soon. It really is sad to see premium manufacturers die the same corporate greed death as many others.

Is it corporate greed?, or the fact that the majority of people won’t pay a big premium for a name brand. All the decent import stuff works well enough that many people can’t justify the name brand, therefor sales drop, so companies like Starrett have to start cutting corners to keep the doors open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buy Mitutoyo.

Can't go wrong, new most of all.

But if yah need to save a buck off GENUINE bargains, used? See also the Tesa/Weiler Hexagon & Etalon goods, 'recent years".

Older is antique, and risky if yer having to hit numbers for yer crust.

Retired, so I CAN "risk" .... B&S, Scherr, Lufkin, Mauser, Hamilton, P&W, Dorsey, Compac, Interapid, & older Mahr for example.

ISTR there are exactly THREE Starrett products under my roof. The youngest nearly 60 years of age, oldest - a treasured gift - close to a hundred.

From when I was POOR.

And Starrett - who have been "cutting corners" for easily 60 years - was all I could afford.

Done better, since!

I went with older, much older, B&S and Federal, both made in Providence, RI. Everything that crosses my door gets checked against the gage blocks and if it doesn't pass muster I get to eat the loss or fix it. I did spend real money on brand new Compac and Tesa, and hot damn they are good, but spendy.

Is it corporate greed?, or the fact that the majority of people won’t pay a big premium for a name brand. All the decent import stuff works well enough that many people can’t justify the name brand, therefor sales drop, so companies like Starrett have to start cutting corners to keep the doors open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vicious circle, who knows? Sales drop, then they either make the profit margin larger by less quality without changing price or drop price/quality and keep profit margin hoping for more sales. Usually what happens is the first, which pisses off long time buyers, word gets around, and now there is even less sales. There is always a place for super premium brands, but they must be willing to change size based upon demand.

Corporate greed means companies are unwilling to downsize with demand or be content with where they are because some dude with a business degree says so.

Vicious circle, who knows? Sales drop, then they either make the profit margin larger by less quality without changing price or drop price/quality and keep profit margin hoping for more sales. Usually what happens is the first, which pisses off long time buyers, word gets around, and now there is even less sales. There is always a place for super premium brands, but they must be willing to change size based upon demand.

Corporate greed means companies are unwilling to downsize with demand or be content with where they are because some dude with a business degree says so.

Couldn't have said it better, thats it in a nutshell. I would add that it is a form of addiction (out of control) because its never going to be enough for some people. And therefore most all companies will be destroyed eventually, along with society itself. But not until a lot of suffering happens first.

My take away is Starrett cutting corners is still better than most options. My newest Starrett tool is No. 436.1 2-3 inch Mic and I like it just fine. About a year old. I have been buying more Mitutoyo tools lately but I still prefer Starretts depth mics.

I think the quality of the older products is somewhat superior to those made today. Having said that I would visit a vendor in person and ask to see the specific tools you are looking to purchase. While many of their products are made in China some dealers still have NOS that were made in this country. In addition some products are still made here.

I recently purchased a couple edge finders. Looking at the spec sheet before ordering they said they were made in China. I still made the purchase thinking I would compare them to the older ones I currently have. Much to my surprise when they came they were clearly marked "Made In The United States". Upon close inspection I found the fit and finish was the same as my older ones. The only noticeable difference is that the name and part number are laser etched on the body rather than engraved.

Older Starrett tools occupy the majority of the stalls in my barn (Avg. 40 to 50 years old est.). IMHO older tools just have a better all around quality. I also have a number of other brands Mits, Tesa etc.
But I agree there is difference, can't really describe it though.

I am a big Starrett fan due to me being 1 mile down the street from them and also a current vendor. They have a "Global" series of products which dont hold as good of a tolerance as the "Made in USA" stuff. I have all kinds of Starrett measuring tools going back 30-50 years. I also like Brown and Sharpe mics.

If you find an ebay set make sure its not a "global" series. I think they are good for +/- .001

If you dont need it to be more accurate then go ahead and get one of those ones for cheap.

Starrett always has high quality stuff but they also carry the lower quality stuff too. You just have to know which one you are buying.

Starrett has an Athol MA location (world headquarters), and a spot in the Carolinas (USA). Worldwide they have a Stockholm Sweden location, Brazil location, and a China location. 600 employees in Athol and 2000 company wide of which I think 500-600 are in China.

People in our industry believe their China stuff is keeping the company alive. I do know they spent $2-$3 million on 7 swiss lathes about 5-6 years ago (200k-300k each). I guess they plan on making more and more higher end stuff right here in USA.

You should be fine with any of their products, just make sure you buy the ones for the work that you are doing. Any other questions you may have I will try to answer. I guess I may have more knowledge than I realize with their stuff.

Couldn't have said it better, thats it in a nutshell. I would add that it is a form of addiction (out of control) because its never going to be enough for some people. And therefore most all companies will be destroyed eventually, along with society itself. But not until a lot of suffering happens first.

We tend to look at the biggest and most visible.

Reality is there are PLENTY of small/medium firms as have kept up quality and get along just fine on slower and more cautiously planned "organic" growth.

Some are "niche" markets, surely. Others go head to head with the whole dam' world.

The lazy consumer eventually goes to the wall right along with his lazy choice of supplier.

The wiser may be a minority. But it's the type of minority as is still workin' and eatin' reg'lar-like off value for money, not "we are cheaper than" AKA "The American Disease" that China has been pandering to until taking it as "automatic" and rooted deeply in our very DNA.

Is it, really?

We shall see.

We tend to look at the biggest and most visible.

Reality is there are PLENTY of small/medium firms as have kept up quality and get along just fine on slower and more cautiously planned "organic" growth.

That's true. Maybe my comments are colored by the fact that I wasted the last 35 yrs inside really big companies that are not regulated because they are not publicly traded. Therfore the higher-ups get to play God and turn into the most Compleat Assholes. With all the rat fights and empire-building that goes along with that kind of politics.

Starrett has an Athol MA location (world headquarters), and a spot in the Carolinas (USA). Worldwide they have a Stockholm Sweden location, Brazil location, and a China location. 600 employees in Athol and 2000 company wide of which I think 500-600 are in China.

Think you meant Jedburgh Scotland, not Stockholm Sweden. There are a few other US locations as well for some of the specialized lines.

My $0.02 contribution to this conversation is to stay away from the Starrett electronic digital offerings. They're okay while they work, but once they falter, repair parts are practically non-existent. They are also notorious for going thru batteries at an alarming rate. I agree with all of the other comments about the older Starrett products simply having a better "feel" than the newer stuff. I have several Starrett 0-1", 1-2", and 2-3" mics, as well as a depth mic, a couple of "Last Word" indicators, and a 12" dial caliper, all of which work fine. I also have a digital 6" caliper and a 0-1" digital mic, neither of which work.

I'd definitely buy used quality tools before I buy cheaper import ones. I like getting tools that can be serviced when things go wrong, and often you can't do that even with the "really good" import stuff. I've gotten a few new Starrett pieces too without complaints (all analog tools), and new or new"er" Mitutoyo stuff is always a good buy (analog and digital). We also have a bit of old Federal, Brown & Sharpe, Slocomb, and Lufkin. Sometimes you can get parts for them, sometimes not.

dont get their snap gages. i had a thread on them a few years back. (it got closed.)

Back