Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Has anyone got a link to all those little "drag racing trivia".

It had reference to the number of crankshaft revolutions turned in the 1/4 mile, IIRC it's something like 800.
    And if a Hyabusa motor bike at full tilt crossed the start line next to a top fuely, then the drag car took off, the drag car would cross the finish line FIRST. That's a lot of thrill in a little over 4 seconds ;-)
    I pulled a hole shot on a race tuned trimph and almost dumped it ..it was about a 3 second or better bike and I was not ready for that fast.

back in the day the Vincent would pull 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds..never got to ride one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by millwrong View Post
    Thanks to all! As I stated, I'm not an engine guy. I DO recognize that my friend is in deep,($$$) waters, so I'm trying to give him the fundamentals he probably should've acquired before walking the path. ...
    It gets deeper than that all the money in world win not make you top dog at the end of the night.
    You deal with air dentistry changes from daylight to nighttime while trying to stay on the index. But suspension changes in link or valving, 1 PSI in the tires, clutch tweaks or auto tyranny fluid mods.
    In a normal car how about unhooking the alternator connection during the day?
    Restrict the water pump outlet adding some drag to the system as the air changes? What do those tweaks do to your car?
    Everyone develops a secret recipe and you only do by experience.
    But..... Yes step one is to know how to tune and detune as needed and for gods sake please learn how to read plugs.
    As this is what makes it fun.

With all due respect to Motion...electric cars are not same. There it becomes boring, why and just poopy.
    It is not just the noise, the deal here is that the torque and power is not flat and tuning to the outcome harder.
    Electric, you are not building a car and all let alone driving it where a robot or computer could run it the best.
    Future SDV Tesla, the ultimate bracket car, no human needed and 01s easy.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah....electric drag cars will fizzle out right soon. It's like when synthesizers came out, everyone predicted they'd displace the electric guitar. Yet today, the guitar players still get all the ladies and the keyboard players get to...well, no one know what they do but they go off and quietly do it alone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Street View Post
    hehe he that's funny its like rev it till it throws a rod then back off 500rpm and set that as your top end rev limit.......

oh yeah i have thrown a rod at full noise, it aint pretty, when i was younger.
    Best advise yet, but for better rods to move the RPM to put a new window in the block up 500 more RPM!

That and lots of dyno time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stock class racing will teach you everything about tuning. Tuning is all you have to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do everything you can to consider volumetric efficiency,
    tuned tract lengths, harmonics, pressure waves, How to cram 2 pounds of air into a 1# can....and keep it from slipping away out a hot exhaust pipe.... Sound speed changes with temperature!
    Some layouts just work. Others won't make big power no matter what size valves are stuck in the heads. F1 gives insight to combustion chamber layout. But the REVS! Not for the strip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Street View Post
    Windsor or Cleveland? totally different...

Anyhow can you convince your friend to stop racing? he would sure save a lot and could buy some machine tools instead or a shop etc. earn some money with the new tools.
    Racing is like owning a boat and boat stands for bring on another thousand.....The feeling is like siting on the edge of a stream and throwing in cash and watching it float by.
    Real life of the party, eh?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Real life of the party, eh?
    Every party needs a popper......so all good and interesting.
    Stop racing? Can't get it.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still looking for that "Cheating Bible", You know, the one that guides the guys out in front ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    tell him to switch to electric - drag racing will be dominated by electric cars over the next few years.
    Its been done. Ho Hum, next? No noise, little smoke, little smell, little interest, good time to go to the restroom.

It was in the late '60's in a dragster chassis. They were competitive with the best at that time but not winners. Single use lead acid batteries, possibly a homopolar motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"You deal with air dentistry changes from daylight to nighttime" The award for the best miss-typing goes to; CarbideBob!! Thanks for the laughs on this one! I know what you were looking for, but I think I prefer your option! Good one!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    tell him to switch to electric - drag racing will be dominated by electric cars over the next few years.
    This is exactly wrong. With most popular drag racing moving to street/strip turbo, blower, or nitrous setups and "no-prep" and the like being more popular than the highest levels of drag racing, electric cars are at a huge disadvantage. A Tesla actually completed Drag Week last year, but barely. If that farmer hadn't had a welding extension cord long enough... and I don't recall him being anywhere near the top of his class. I love his hot rodding, pioneering spirit, though.

Electric motors can't keep up with any of the competitive heads-up classes out there and doubtful will be able to, ever. Think I'm wrong? Go try to campaign an electric car in a radial tire class that is running mid 3's in the 1/8 mile.

Can you even fit a 3500+ hp electric motor and the requisite batteries in a Pro Mod sized chassis?

Maybe guys will start using them in junior dragsters for their kids?

Anyways, to the OP check out Andy Whittle's youtube channel, look at the speedtalk and yellowbullet forums, and check out HPA on youtube as mentioned earlier. The Holley EFI, Haltech, and Megasquirt (msextra) forums have a ton of tech info as well if you are tuning EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drag racing has its share if dumbness, and 'No Prep' racing is at the top of it. Of course, the 1/8th mile track is the dumbest of all, ever, but No Prep is a strong contender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

on the other hand one mile racing kills the engines pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by millwrong View Post
    I've got a friend who likes throwing all his cash at a 1/4 mile car. He's at the point that tuning is essential for consistency. What are the "bibles" of performance engine tuning? Any good references?
    TIA!
    Depends what class he's in and his exact setup. I used to (illegal) race at stoplights with a BBC back in the day (1990's)... Didn't lose very many. I always considered Smokey Yunick's books to be good, if somewhat dated. He was a NASCAR guy, but he covers some GM engineering topics that are less than obvious...

Yunick was good enough to get banned from NASCAR, and knew GM engineering on a "first-name" basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Drag racing has its share if dumbness, and 'No Prep' racing is at the top of it. Of course, the 1/8th mile track is the dumbest of all, ever, but No Prep is a strong contender.
    I have to disagree, why spray down adhesives or prep a track.
    One earns lane choice and this practice just silly. IMO it should all be "No track Prep".
    Bob

17. Likes ratbldr427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I have to disagree, why spray down adhesives or prep a track.
    One earns lane choice and this practice just silly. IMO it should all be "No track Prep".
    Bob
    Yep. Sure wasn't any "track prep" when I was street racing. There was only "cops" or "rain". And you either won or lost on your own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always liked rowing a shifter.When the powerglides and trans brakes came out I started loosing interest. Definitely more consistent and cheaper in the long run.
    When the poor boys with skill and ingenuity lost out to the rich kids the sport just didn't have as much attraction to me.
    But ever since the first race between cars it has always like that.

One of the guys I worked with at the Chev dealership in the 60's,Bert Moyers was a realy good dirt track racer in the 20's!I guess he was close to 70 at the time.He told me how easy I had it being able to buy so much speed equipment.He had to make everything himself.He had a 4cyl Chev OHV in a home built car,built his own duel carb manifold out of pipe.Old Bert would really be amazed at whats available now.

Bill Warner the founder of the Amelia Island Concours found Berts car and had it restored and displayed at the Concours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason tracks are 'prepped' is because there is the idea (right or wrong) that a drag strip does not see the daily use that a street sees, and it gets a layer of 'junk' on it that causes it to become less sticky than the asphalt of a real highway. So, the prep work is to equalize it. I'm not saying that's true or not, but that's the idea. It also serves to add some measure of equality to the track, both between lanes and with other tracks. Finally, it adds some safety to the whole deal. A track free of oil or water or tree pollen is much safer for the driver.

You can be sure that if you go the Olympics to watch a 440M race, one lane will not be slippery and the other dry and grippy. That's the big leagues. The idea is you want the contest to be over speed, not the track lane choice.

But regardless, the stupidity of No Prep is that it's bad as because it's "real world" street racing...but the entire rest of the affair is anything but street. So what's the point? The car is a pure race car with no lights or tread on the tires or exhaust and it's burning race fuel. It also needs a crew of 5 people to get it off the line, like a race car. It's foolishness.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    I'm really surprised to read that from a southerner. You guy have shit for air, and running a car past the 1/8 in the summer by you is just wearing shit out for no benefit.