What's new
What's new

OT Phone photos on PM

I have some photos I would like to post. They are on a Iphone 8. My computer is on windows 10. I know people post phone photos all the time so it can't be all that hard to do. But it is beyond me, can anyone post step by step instructions on how to accomplish this task?

The video is way too fast for me to figure out. I really would like to sort this out as I have been doing some pretty cool stuff lately.

I don't personally post pics from phone, I email myself the pics from phone. Then open my email on a pc to sort out pics and post.

From pc:
To add pics from pc to the thread: you click "reply to thread". On new window, click "go advanced" near bottom. Scroll down, click "manage attachments". A small window pops up, click "add files". Either click "browse" in drop down to search your pc for pic, or click + symbol to add up to 5 pics. After pics selected, click "upload". Then click "insert line" at bottom of small window.

To stagger pics along a post. Write something, hit enter twice to give pic nice spacing. Then use above instruction to add a pic. Write some more. . .add another pic. Up to 5 pics.

Might need to trim pic size if its like 2 or 3 mb, not sure.

I use Tapatalk to post photos from my IPhone, really easy even I can figure it out. I was having trouble posting using PMs hosting, photos always came out too small.

if you have an email account that you can use both on your Win10 machine and the phone, like a Gmail account, email the pictures using your phone to yourself (as email attachments), then you'll be able to open and save them on to your Windows machine, save them somewhere on the pc and then post them just like any other image

it would be preferable to edit the picture before emailing, I don't use iPhone, so I can't suggest anything, but there must be an editor that can shrink the resolution (and image data file size), if you resize them to 800~1000 pixels in the long direction, then, once posted on PM using PMs hosting service, they won't be reduced in size, if you don't do this, PM will shrink the image considerably to a size just barely larger than a postmark
alternatively you could resize images then later on the Windows machine using the Microsoft Paint which comes installed with Windows by default

Tapatalk is a phone app designed to work with various discussion forums, supposedly makes accessing them easier

I too take them on the phone, email them to Win 10 desktop and open them in an ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro - (crop, add captions), then up load to PM

A recent "scan"

Image3.jpg

And a "reworked" scan I did years ago - to add info for a recent purchaser

Misc Controls.jpg

When I post from my tablet my pics always come out sideways how do you rotate them

If you edit the photos in MS Paint, and resize or rotate them, then save them, it'll strip off the meta-data that the phones use to indicate orientation (instead of saving the picture with the raster in the correct orientation). This is basically because paint is too dumb to pay attention to the cheat that the phones use.

Not sure about software in the macintosh world. Is ImageMagick available on them?

I post photos here straight from my android phone all the time and would be happy to pass on what I do, but it probably isn't the same on the iPhone.

I have used Tapatalk to surf PM for several years now on my iPhone.

PM’s forum format isn’t worth a crap on a smartphone, so not sure how you guys are using PM on your phone without Tapatalk??!!

Tapatalk definitely simplifies uploading photos from your phone as well. No, it doesn’t group them in tidy little tabs, but instead just inserts the full-size image wherever you need it.

ToolCat

Moonlight, what I do, because i am a friggin relic:
plug my phone into computer
answer yes to the trust this computer
drag the photo out of the phone from the windows side
save it in some folder or another
usually have to open it and downsize it

do the photo add on PM site

for some reason I cannot drag and drop right from the phone, I think Apple is not liking the software

If you edit the photos in MS Paint... Is ImageMagick available on them?
MS Paint is pretty basic, I would highly recommend Irfanview. It's free, a Windows program, not corporate, a really good intermediate program between Photoshop and something real basic like Paint. It'll do everything you want, moon, and easy to learn.

Graphics Magick is the better version of Image Magick now, but a little arcane for Windows-users, maybe :) Bob Friesenhahn, who supervises, is really sharp and helpful. Knows his shit, keeps it sane and performant. It kicks ass on speed and portability and lack of bugs. Great program but it's X-Window and probably not for the faint-hearted.

Easiest way if you use the computer for PM is to email the photos to yourself. I'm used to Android rather than iPhone but basically you open the photo, select Share, then select email and type the first two letters of your email address. Your address should come up in a list of suggested addresses that start with those letters.

PS: MS Paint works fine for simply cropping a photo. If you use it for anything else like adding lettering save multiple versions because the Undo function got trashed a few versions ago.

MS Paint is pretty basic, I would highly recommend Irfanview. It's free, a Windows program, not corporate, a really good intermediate program between Photoshop and something real basic like Paint. It'll do everything you want, moon, and easy to learn.

Graphics Magick is the better version of Image Magick now, but a little arcane for Windows-users, maybe :) Bob Friesenhahn, who supervises, is really sharp and helpful. Knows his shit, keeps it sane and performant. It kicks ass on speed and portability and lack of bugs. Great program but it's X-Window and probably not for the faint-hearted.

I mentioned Paint purely because it gets around the issue of phones taking a picture in one orientation and merely changing the meta-data of the file to show it should be in another orientation. When you re-save the image it saves the raster data in the layout that you've set it to.

The ImageMagick comment was on account of not thinking that Photoshop, etc. are what you want on a Mac, just to sort out the format of an inconsistent jpg file. :D

I am presently using an Android phone but have used simple, flip phones in the past. All of them could be connected to my computer with a simple USB cable. And then the photo files on the phones were available in the File Explorer in my Windows computer and could be copied to the computer's hard drive with standard drag and drop or other copy methods. I would think that an iphone would work in much the same manner, but the file system may only be compatible with Apple computers.

To do it directly from your iphone I would call up this web site on your phone and then navigate to the image hosting page by clicking on your user name at the top and selecting "Albums" on the left side of the page. That should take you to your area for up-loading images. Then you should be able to follow the instructions that I posted for uploading images. Here is the link to that post.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...sing-boards-image-hosting-350499/#post3176881

I do not have an iphone so I can not give you any screen images or detailed differences, but it should work in much the same manner.

Please be sure to read and follow my step #10. This is where many have gone off track in this process. They think the process is finished after step #9, but it is NOT. You must do step #10.

I have some photos I would like to post. They are on a Iphone 8. My computer is on windows 10. I know people post phone photos all the time so it can't be all that hard to do. But it is beyond me, can anyone post step by step instructions on how to accomplish this task?

I also make extensive use of MS Paint. Almost every photo that I post gets a trip through Paint before it is uploaded. I sometimes crop them and always resize them to 800 pixels wide to prevent the BB software from automatically changing then to a size that may be too small for easy viewing. 800 pixels wide will work for almost every modern computer monitor as well as pads. It also seems to work well for my Android phone.

Back