What's new
What's new

OT: Plastic Lumber Questions

jamscal

Stainless
I have a few projects that will use plastic lumber as you would see in a park/playground.

Does anyone have a good source? Do you buy online or local?

Is there a spec or chemical name I need to be looking for?

We have the man-made decking at the local Lowe's/HD but that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

I have a few projects that will use plastic lumber as you would see in a park/playground.

Does anyone have a good source? Do you buy online or local?

Is there a spec or chemical name I need to be looking for?

We have the man-made decking at the local Lowe's/HD but that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

The "lumber" you're referring to is typically made from recycled plastic. You indicated you are looking for what "you would see in a park / playground", yet the man-made decking at your local big box isn't it. What's wrong with the decking?

Well, decking isn't dimensional lumber stock, for one.
To the OP, what showed up when you Googled "recycled plastic lumber"?
That should answer a few, but not all, of your questions...

Chip

I had same problem.

It's time to "make dirt" around here from the composted stuff of the last year, and re-load the big composter with new stuff, and a dose of the old in it as a starter. But the composter chose this year to be too rotted to fix, so it needs to be re-built.

It has been wood, Cedar, but that is expensive, and rots out anyhow. I wanted to find plastic 2 x 4 etc, but nobody seems to have anything but the decking, which is essentially "1 x" in various widths. I can use that for slats and chutes, but it's not structural

Not only that, but the backside is grooved.

Trex has come as 2x4, but it's NOT in the least structural.

One of us could google "structural Trex lumber"...

The answer is No, and the Trex Elevations steel framing components aren't to be used within .6 mile of water.

Perhaps someone is roll-forming stainless into structural elements?

For me, the 2 x 4 do not have to be THAT structural, they just hold slats, and need to be stiffer than the slats by as much as a 2 x 4 is vs a 1 x 6. "Not as floppy as a 1 x ".

I have other blocking issues, so the lack of the bin is not such a big deal yet.... The shredding /grinding machine chose today to need a carburetor rebuild....and the "whashers" that do the cutting all seem to need sharpened too.

Always good when you see the carb dripping a steady stream of gas through the air cleaner.... it's got debris in the jets for sure. I was going to at least shred and make a big pile, but ........ Always something

Thanks for the replies.

I had found some suppliers via google but wanted to get some first hand info if possible.

I'm getting a quote from the Plastic Lumber Yard.

Yeah, don't try to use that decking for anything structural. It's flimsy as hell. You can pick up one end of an 8ft board to waist high and half the rest of it will still be flat on the ground. You have to use 12" spacing on your joists or it flexes like crazy. That's why I didn't use it.

If this is a structural item and not an appearance item, why don't you take some "1x" plastic lumber, rip it to a desired width (if the size you want is not available) and make a two or three ply structural element using SS screws?

Best i have seen over here is made from slotted concrete fence posts, drop in 6" concrete gravel boards with some plastic spacers made from chunks of heavy plastic pipe for air flow for the sides, front was just wood pannels and the bottom few when rotted out just get chucked. They had it set up as 3 bins so they could sorta cycle them. Few bushes around it and a large tree for shade and it worked well.

A few projects made from the plastic lumbar, flower box, sign, coffee tables, and window boxes. I did not build the swing. I bought it from local Amish who make an assortment of outdoor furniture from the material.

IMG_2864.jpgIMG_3222.jpgIMG_2898.jpgIMG_2892.jpg

Back