What's new
What's new

OT- Is it possible to have a wireless mouse on a 2002 vintage computer ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Windows system..with typical 9 pin serial port. (on an Agie CNC sinker EDM) There are USB to serial adapter cables but curiously they all seem to have male USB ends only. I did find one with female USB but damned if the serial plug isn't then backwards (female) from normal.

I could of course gender change the serial plug with yet another adapter but something tells me due to USB protocols, it won't work anyway. What say ye ?

(actually no big deal if I can't do this but if under 60 bucks I figure what the heck, might as well...otherwise will just buy a nice condition serial mouse on eBay for 10 bucks)

If your machine is a desktop with expansion slots, and windows version is win-2000 or later, you can add usb capability with an expansion card. Then you can use an ordinary usb mouse or a wireless mouse with usb dongle.

What I have done before is use a USB to PS/2 connector and then a PS/2 to 9 pin serial connector. The reason for this is that you might have a hard time finding a cable that will go directly from USB to serial that does not have a USB to serial conversion chip (you do not want the chip). In my experience most USB mice support a serial connection via a PS/2 connector but support is definitely declining.

Are you sure it's serial and not PS/2 ? They haven't used serial mouses for a really long time.
Yes....serial type. Remember CNC machine makers tended to be pretty conservative with regards to computers using devices and floppy drives long after they were passe' .... Windows 98 is the OS.

I guess below would work but even NOS the NiCad batteries may be toast at this point...

GyroMouse Gyro-Pro RF Technology Cordless Mouse PS/2 / Serial "New in Box" | eBay

Still, who can resist the call to "sit back and mouse with the flick of your wrist" ? :smoking:

windows 98 will support a USB[I remember having to download some drivers to run one on my windows 95 machine]

that means to me that if you can get an internal usb card, you could get the OS to recognize it, and thus maybe recognize the wireless mouse.

the real issue is getting the 98 compatible driver

Back