What's new
What's new

Ot- Practical size limit for anodizing parts?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I have a structure about the size of a small car I'd like to get anodized- Should I even bother to see if I can find a outfit near enough to take this to or is this a non starter.
The structure is basically a frame box of 12' long, 8' wide and 3’ high- light frame of mostly angle and plate and square tube.
Is this just way too large to expect to find a tank to dip or maybe is there an equivalent process to look into?

I can go the paint route and use LP paints and appropriate primers but just want to save time.
I don't have lots of money to throw at the finishing so - what- a few hundred to get something done..

Thanks all

You can find anodize companies that specialize in large parts through Google, but don't bother - you've answered your question in the last line. It'll be much more than a few hundred for a job that big, due to (likely) transport to a remote facility, handling and price for the work itself.

Get the sprayer ready and some plastic sheeting to protect the rest of your shop. Don't forget the PPE for yourself!

I know I'm late to this party, but why not powder coat it? Powder is usually a lot cheaper than a professional paint job, and lasts much longer.

I know I'm late to this party, but why not powder coat it? Powder is usually a lot cheaper than a professional paint job, and lasts much longer.

He'd have to find someone with a pretty big oven to do the job, and we're back to excessive costs. Unfortunately he's going to have to trade his time for dollars, or just hand the customer a paint brush and make a party of it...

[That is, if it's for a customer. If a shop project then he needs to dupe a few friends Tom Sawyer-style]

It might be that a shop that does architectural scale powder coating will have a big enough oven. Think about railings and staircases that are powder coated.

I’ll pull the team together and draw straws.

Boss: “Ok- you drew short this is on you”

Shop idiot: “What- I can’t paint worth a crap and and .. I don’t wanna do it”

Boss: “Bullsh’t, I saw that hull you shot last year I could shave in that shine”

Shop idiot: “crap”

I work by myself but these ‘discussions’ still seem to need to happen....

Edit: re-above.
Powder coat would do it- I’ll call around.

If the powedercoat guy in my town can fit that in his oven, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a powder guy to do it. If you find someone to do it for a couple hundred bucks, I'd consider myself lucky.

Back