What's new
What's new

OT- Preferred method for cutting conduit fitting holes in plastic enclosures ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
ABS plastic, like this

McMaster-Carr

need to cut some 7/8" diameter holes and a few 1 3/8" (or 1 5/16") diameter. Would wood boring cutters be best ? Presume a typical Greenlee metal box knock out tool wouldn't work on plasitc without danger of cracking surrounding plastic ?

21UnljqJziL.jpg

There are step drills especially made for conduit fitting sizes and a sharp step drill with a little cutting wax on the edge is the cleanest and least stressful (to the box) way to make holes other than CNC milling.

Plenty of brands to pick from.

Google

Same for cutting wax.

Google

I don't like the bit you have pictured. It appears to be a Forstner style bit that will cut the full radius. That could make it difficult. They are intended for wood and will clear out the plug. A hole saw would be better.

Actually, I have used all the methods that have been suggested below your initial post and they work. Even the chassis punches will work OK if the plastic is not brittle and most plastics used for such boxes are not that brittle. I have a great collection of chassis punches, but they are a slower process. For the smaller hole (7/8") my first choice would be a step drill. For the larger one, I would use a hole saw because step drills do not come that large. Both of these should be fast and easy. The step drill has the additional advantage of allowing you to clean up the edge by just kissing it with the next higher step. I do that all the time with them and it leaves a nice clean edge in the same operation with drilling. Great time saver.

ABS plastic, like this

McMaster-Carr

need to cut some 7/8" diameter holes and a few 1 3/8" (or 1 5/16") diameter. Would wood boring cutters be best ? Presume a typical Greenlee metal box knock out tool wouldn't work on plasitc without danger of cracking surrounding plastic ?

21UnljqJziL.jpg

Hole saws suck compared to step drills. I would use a spade bit before a hole saw. Step drills are the best for plastic, thin wall steel or aluminum, and fiberglass boxes.

I use step bits for 7/8 and smaller, carbide tipped hole saws for larger sizes. Mostly it depends on how many holes and what bit is in the drill.one or two holes and a long walk to the hole saw, I will use the step bit. A lot of holes, hole saw every time.
Cam, drilling holes in electrical boxes for 35 years

Hole saws work, AND I find that knockout punches work on typical "carlon" PVC boxes. You need to use hole saws of "conduit size", or the holes may be extra loose or too tight. That's where the knockouts work better if you have conduit sizes.

Use whatcha got.

The electrical boxes are made of a plastic that is not as brittle as you might expect. They do end to hang up the plastic slugs in the die, so if you have the slug-buster type they may work better. Other boxes may or may not work as well with punches, so hole saws tend to be a universal solution.

Don;t spin the saws too fast, or it will start to melt and weld-up the swarf from a hole saw.

JST, try a good step drill, yeah its no good for larger sizes, but hole quality is amazing compared to a hole saw, generally the resulting hole is a near reamed level of finish.

I didn't see any step drills that go as large as 1 5/16" so I used a Fostner drill as shown but did so with box clamped in a milling machine. Worked fine that way but would have been nearly impossible with a hand drill. Could have interpolated the holes on CNC but only needed two that size, so not worth the programming time. The 7/8" holes will come later...probably do those on the mill as well since I don't have a 7/8 hole or step drill handy.

I use paddle/spade bits. I might use a chainsaw file to enhance the cutting edges into "U"s, but they work well and don't wander as hole saws do.

Back