OT - Prostate Problems - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I saw my surgeon on Monday and he tells me the catheter is coming out either at the end of this week or the start of next. So I thought ok.

Then yesterday I woke up feeling like I'd got a mild dose of flu. I've been around this problem long enough to know I probably had a bladder infection. The doc at our local A&E said he agreed with me and sent me away with a course of antibiotics.

Waiting for the antibiotics to start working today so I'm still feeling a bit rough this morning.

I've had a pretty tough time over the last 12 months but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel soon. I can't say the follow up to the operation has gone exactly to plan but we are where are.

On my gloomy days I think will I ever be something like normal again ? Then I read the accounts of other people's treatment on here and that pulls me up sharp.

Regards Tyrone.
    That sucks Tyrone...I wish you the best...sorry for not checking in on you sooner. - Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that. Tomorrow is another day. Is Lodi as bad as John Fogerty thought it was ?

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Not anymore Full of wine tasting and vineyards. Lot's of wine snobs on occasion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tyrone,
    Very sorry to hear about your dad.

My dad is a very different story. We are very close and I started going to work with him every day during the summer and on weekends when I was about 10. At 48 he had a major stroke that ended his career. It mostly messed up his eyes and he lost his ability to read and write. He has never used a computer as a result. He got a pacemaker at 70, a heart valve at 75, broke a hip at 78, an ankle at 79, the other hip at 80, had one hip replaced at 82. He is in an assisted living facility now, barely can see or hear and doesn’t know where he is or who anyone is except me. However he pulls himself around the entire facilty every day in his wheel chair using his feet. He is the freaking energizer bunny that just keeps going and going.

5. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oops, didn’t quite finish.

His quality of life is about as low as it can go. He needs help to do anything. Before he got to this point he considered ending his own life to simply be with mom who he missed terribly. She was going down fast but died quietly in her sleep having been in the hospital only to have 3 kids and a UTI. He didn’t try to end his own life only because he found out it would in invalidate multiple insurance policies he paid for his whole life.

We need an off switch to use of our own free will with NO bullshit repercussions! My dad has a will he gave me years ago. I never read it. I never want to think of what dad is worth to me in terms of money. It could very well be a lot or nothing. Doesn’t matter, I would have preferred he spent every dime enjoying life. As it is the nursing care may clean him out completely. Instead I visit him every weekend and watch him slowly die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should read the will, while you can still ask him questions if needed. At least to see if you're the executor. Or have someone else read it for you, to get the executor info. In my limited but recent experience, when old folks are preparing for end of life, sharing info isn't so much about money, as much as it is about transitions and their final wishes. But the frequent visits are a good thing, for you and him. And when the end is nearer, look into hospice care.

8. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm off tomorrow to have a "prostatectomy"... removing the thing and, they said, a few lymph nodes just to be sure of something... maybe that the cancer hadn't spread to them, or something .

Operation starts at 1:30pm and they're keeping me overnight... which I am glad of. If I'd have had it in the early morning, they'd have discharged me that afternoon.
    I'd just as soon stay there where they can baby me and keep an eye on me. I'm in no hurry to go home. I hate the thought of them wanting you out in a hurry.

Going to do it via the da Vinci robo-surgeon contraption~ that is unless there is any scar tissue from previous operations I've had in the past, then it will have to be an open abdomen operation... which I hope it isn't!!!

I had my gall bladder out a year or two ago.. via the Laparoscopic method... and there was nothing to that. I felt fine the next day.

Hopefully this will be the same outcome.

They said I'll have a catheter for a week and when I return for a check up it comes out.

I'll be back as soon as I feel like typing.

Drank the Magnesium Citrate "super colon blow" at noon. Was fine for an hour or so... then, major eruption of mount Vesuvius. Smaller tremors and lava flows followed.
    Thought I was all cleaned out, so drove downtown to my shop to meet a guy about something.
    He had no sooner left than I felt the need to pass a little gas. Well, that nearly cost me a pair of Fruit of the Looms!!!! I barely got that pinched off in time to stop the flow.

After that... I'm not going to trust a fart for a little while!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe, best of luck to you tomorrow, and may your medical team all have good nights sleeps tonight.

11. Likes texasgunsmith, Vladymere gr, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck Joe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Luck JoeE.

How's Tyrone Shoelaces making out with his situation ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

all the best joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck Joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to lighten the mood a little....let's consider this old boy, Jan de Doot.

_jan_de_doot.jpg

Now, I recognize that he hardly measures up against the modern definition of a "bad-ass". He shows no tattoos, no piercings, and we can witness no sign that he enjoys beer or Harley Davidson motorcycling and we can exclude any possibility that he drives a diesel powered light duty truck with a lift kit.

But, then, we are obligated to notice that object he is holding in his hand. Not the blade, but rather the egg-sized bladder stone that he, in 1651, successfully removed during a surgery he performed ON HIMSELF.

Bad-ass, indeed.

17. Likes texasgunsmith, Demon73, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I had a bladder stone that size I'd perform surgery on myself with a blunt pair of sidecutters.

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Just to lighten the mood a little....let's consider this old boy, Jan de Doot.

_jan_de_doot.jpg

Now, I recognize that he hardly measures up against the modern definition of a "bad-ass". He shows no tattoos, no piercings, and we can witness no sign that he enjoys beer or Harley Davidson motorcycling and we can exclude any possibility that he drives a diesel powered light duty truck with a lift kit.

But, then, we are obligated to notice that object he is holding in his hand. Not the blade, but rather the egg-sized bladder stone that he, in 1651, successfully removed during a surgery he performed ON HIMSELF.

Bad-ass, indeed.

19. Likes GregSY, JoeE., pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, but you Aussies are all bad-asses. Me? I'd just faint until I was dead.

21. Likes Demon73, adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Good Luck JoeE.

How's Tyrone Shoelaces making out with his situation ?
    I'm doing ok now after a few alarms post operation regarding my urethra blocking, blocked catheters and hospital contracted MRSA etc. I don't want to jinx myself or scare Joe so I won't say too much at present. I'll tell the full story at a later date when I'm fully recovered.

Good luck Joe, I hope it goes well for you.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Well...

Surgery went well, I guess.. I made it through it.

I know one thing... I DID NOT go home the next day. That was NOT happening.

I had big problems with my digestive system post anesthesia, I guess it is. Nothing was moving. I barely ate anything the next 3 days and didn't WANT to go home. I kept telling them "I'm not hungry, and bowel movements are slim to none. I laid around in the bed, paced the halls a little bit... trying to get things to move, but nothing.

I was so "full"... my tummy was distended up to my rib cage. No real pain, just no appetite or anything. I wasn't getting puny or weak, but it was not fun.

Finally, an older guy RN gave me a shot of "Reglan", which took about 15 minutes to start my guts grumbling. That brought on some diarrhea.. but nothing really got me cleaned out.

I'm still not right. I stayed in that place from Wednesday to Monday morning because of that. I could have left earlier but I didn't feel right. I'm STILL not right, but the pressure has went way down.

Anyhow, after the surgery they went to get me up to walk around and I requested a wheel chair to push in front of me so I would steady myself. Well, got about 10 feet and started to pass out, and told them so.

Next thing I know... I hear them all excitedly saying "he passed out"... and there were all kinds of concerned, frowning faces looking at me and quizzing me on how I felt.

I felt just fine. "No chest pain"... asked about 10 times... always the same answer "Nope, I feel fine"

There are about 10 people standing there gazing down on me doing a flurry of things and checking all these machines they've got hooked up to me...

Finally, they said "well, your heart is racing about 151bpm, and we don't know why. You sure you don't have chest pain?"

Turns out, blood clots had formed in my legs, traveled up to and blocked the veins at my lungs, thus starving my heart for blood to pump. It was cavitating.
    Blood supply short at the heart, so it runs away with itself to try and make up the difference to my body.

So, back to the ER and they slit the vein in my groin and put a "vena cava filter" up in the big vein in my lower abdomen.... looks like a fish trap.... to catch any stray clots that may be traveling back up that way. That plus blood thinners.

I had to lay still for 6 hours.. flat on my back. Lucky for me, I was still unconscious for 3 of them.. and the nurse finally let me move a half hour early. That was horrible. My back ached so bad.

So, anyway... catheter removed yesterday... pissing blood today... still not right in the bowel movement department, but alive.

Go back in 7 weeks for new PSA test to check to see that levels dropped off to zero.

He also said "biopsy on prostate cancer cells showed they were more active than they thought, and that there was no cancer showing up in the lymph nodes at all."

24. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces, texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you'll be back at work Monday then? Fine, I'll tell scheduling.

Hang in there, man. Sounds rough, but you're getting answers which is good.

26. Likes digger doug, JoeE., texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE. View Post
    starving my heart for blood to pump. It was cavitating.
    Wow talk about not fun.

Heart pumping its self dry is bassicaly how my dad died.

Amazing how hydraulics can be applied to the body. Were basically a fleshy gear pump.

28. Likes Tonytn36, JoeE., texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just came back from my doc and my latest PSA shows that I've went from a 1.18 to a 2.75 over the course of just over 2 years. Noticed issues of late (last few months) with dribbling after taking a piss, she noted that my last abdomen CT scan in 2016 had a note of "slightly enlarged prostate", and I only started noticing issues within the last 7-8 months. So now I will start on some med for enlarged prostate next week. I'm about to turn 52....

30. Likes JoeE. liked this post