OT - Protecting new blacktop drive from parked RV - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    802
    Likes (Received)
    1232

    Default

    You could cut the plywood into a shape, say a star. Then if it does leave an imprint at least it will look decorative.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    29,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    You could cut the plywood into a shape, say a star. Then if it does leave an imprint at least it will look decorative.
    Too much manual labour in that.

    Just watch for a "BIG CLOSEOUT" or "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!" sale and have it done in wotever carpet they are trying to get rid of.

    P**y-pink shag driveway would at least be the "First in.." my neighbourhood or surface-plate-writ-large State of Flathio, either one.

    Sandy Eggo, where they paint gravels with Kem-Tone for lack of water to grow grass? Might be a dif'rent story?


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    171
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default

    Hey, man, just let the air out of the tires. You said 40 psi on the asphault? Sounds a lot like the kinda pressure that's in them tires to me. Just drop it down some, and then you got low psi in the tires and on the pavement, man.

    (please do not take this post seriously)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Auburn CA
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default

    I have used metal plates on new asphalt to support a 20 ft sea container. The plates sank about a 1/4 inch over a couple of years. This was in a very hot, full sun environment.

    I think the plywood with radiused edges of sufficient size such that there would be almost no edge pressure would minimize visual evidence of sinking. Also assuming that you have room, move the support pads occasionally.

  5. Likes Chip Chester liked this post
  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    29,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Hey, man, just let the air out of the tires. You said 40 psi on the asphault? Sounds a lot like the kinda pressure that's in them tires to me. Just drop it down some, and then you got low psi in the tires and on the pavement, man.

    (please do not take this post seriously)
    Not related to pavement.. exactly.. but we've actually seen this useful. Low bridge, but only just barely. Load had no other route to destination.

    A field service truck with compressor had to be put on scene as all the tires on an already low-low lowboy trailer were deflated by enough to very, very, carefully sneak under the bridge, be re-inflated once out the other side.

    Call that Redneck Rigging, but was planned carefully in advance, not discovered by accident, so it got the load delivered without a huge delay.

    Corps of Engineers takes the BFBI route. Puts a D9G to work, drops the roadway a foot or so, repaves it lower, later. No longer a problem, next-go!

    It's all modifiable, after all.

    God didn't want Earth messed-with in novel and entertaining ways, she would not have invented hardy son-of-bitches with hairy ears.


  7. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio USA
    Posts
    3,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    85
    Likes (Received)
    1753

    Default

    So here's a quick update.

    Driveway was finished off last Monday afternoon, and we stayed off of it until Thursday night. Temps down to 40's or so.


    RV is parked (back axle) on 1/2" steel plate, roughly 3'x3', which is on top of 4'x4' OSB at the moment. (Visqueen/plastic will go down under that on Monday when RV heads out for brake work.) Front wheels are on a 2" x 20" exterior grade LVL "cutoff" (actually ordering mistake) from the garage construction crew just across the street. Gratis, even though I offered up cash.

    While the RV is in the shop for brakes, I'm going to wire brush and paint the steel (or use bedliner if it can take the weight), put down plastic, and replace the wood with some Advantech water-resistant subfloor material, and bevel the bottom edges. Or maybe plastic deck material. Having it bend up a little where it exits the steel plate might be a good thing.

    But here's the fun part: This afternoon, however, a UPS truck decided to use my drive as a turn-around, and I didn't even have packages being delivered. I stopped him as he was backing in, and told him to get off the blacktop. Instead of "Oops, sorry..." his response was "Hey, there's not a sign that says 'No Trucks' or 'No Turnaround', so how am I to know?" This is a residential drive on a 40' wide street with no parked cars around... No problem with a 3-point turn, or just staying on the concrete apron. But no, he had to back a few feet onto the blacktop, then sit there and argue with me about being there in his 28' van. No idea how heavy it was. His recalcitrance succeeded in making me angrier, so he fought back by sitting there to further discuss the matter.

    Had he backed in and immediately left before I got out there, he would have been on it for all of 10 seconds. He stopped to look something up, or check his Facebook or whatever, so he was settling in for a spell.

    So now I can look forward to a holiday season of damaged and lost UPS packages, even though he's not the regular route driver. He can look forward to an interesting conversation with his manager at the depot, who was not too pleased with his approach to customer service.

    Just venting. But my whole camper probably weighs less than his back axle empty weight. And I had thought last night about posting 'No Turnaround/No Trucks' signs, mainly because of front wheel tire-scrubbing damaging new blacktop. I've never seen a UPS truck, frontwards or backwards, on any drive on the street...

    I'll get over it eventually. But damn.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2234
    Likes (Received)
    1605

    Default

    Did the UPS truck leave divots in the blacktop?
    Once it is fully cured the danger of tire scrubbing damaging it goes down to almost nil. Fresh, keep off and do not turn wheels unless rolling.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madera county california usa
    Posts
    2,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    624

    Default

    Our side street is 2 years old and the bobcat ruins it on a hot day.

    Have to squish it back with shoes

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    862
    Likes (Received)
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post

    But here's the fun part: This afternoon, however, a UPS truck decided to use my drive as a turn-around, and I didn't even have packages being delivered. I stopped him as he was backing in, and told him to get off the blacktop. Instead of "Oops, sorry..." his response was "Hey, there's not a sign that says 'No Trucks' or 'No Turnaround', so how am I to know?" This is a residential drive on a 40' wide street with no parked cars around... No problem with a 3-point turn, or just staying on the concrete apron. But no, he had to back a few feet onto the blacktop, then sit there and argue with me about being there in his 28' van. No idea how heavy it was. His recalcitrance succeeded in making me angrier, so he fought back by sitting there to further discuss the matter.

    Had he backed in and immediately left before I got out there, he would have been on it for all of 10 seconds. He stopped to look something up, or check his Facebook or whatever, so he was settling in for a spell.

    So now I can look forward to a holiday season of damaged and lost UPS packages, even though he's not the regular route driver. He can look forward to an interesting conversation with his manager at the depot, who was not too pleased with his approach to customer service.

    Just venting. But my whole camper probably weighs less than his back axle empty weight. And I had thought last night about posting 'No Turnaround/No Trucks' signs, mainly because of front wheel tire-scrubbing damaging new blacktop. I've never seen a UPS truck, frontwards or backwards, on any drive on the street...

    I'll get over it eventually. But damn.
    Live in a rural neighborhood. Our drives are all gravel save for two homeowners that added blacktop. Our UPS driver won’t drive to the door in the winter with chains on to those homes...he delivers to a neighbors place. Just so the chains don’t tear up their drives. They aren’t all jerks.
    Joe

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5796
    Likes (Received)
    876

    Default

    i am fighting the "protect my new(5yr old) ass fault" driveway as well.
    so far so good.
    have not thought of my next rigger hire till reading this, that monster high low???
    good luck
    Gw


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •