Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could cut the plywood into a shape, say a star. Then if it does leave an imprint at least it will look decorative.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    You could cut the plywood into a shape, say a star. Then if it does leave an imprint at least it will look decorative.
    Too much manual labour in that.

Just watch for a "BIG CLOSEOUT" or "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!" sale and have it done in wotever carpet they are trying to get rid of.

P**y-pink shag driveway would at least be the "First in.." my neighbourhood or surface-plate-writ-large State of Flathio, either one.

Sandy Eggo, where they paint gravels with Kem-Tone for lack of water to grow grass? Might be a dif'rent story?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, man, just let the air out of the tires. You said 40 psi on the asphault? Sounds a lot like the kinda pressure that's in them tires to me. Just drop it down some, and then you got low psi in the tires and on the pavement, man.

(please do not take this post seriously)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used metal plates on new asphalt to support a 20 ft sea container. The plates sank about a 1/4 inch over a couple of years. This was in a very hot, full sun environment.

I think the plywood with radiused edges of sufficient size such that there would be almost no edge pressure would minimize visual evidence of sinking. Also assuming that you have room, move the support pads occasionally.

5. Likes Chip Chester liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Hey, man, just let the air out of the tires. You said 40 psi on the asphault? Sounds a lot like the kinda pressure that's in them tires to me. Just drop it down some, and then you got low psi in the tires and on the pavement, man.

(please do not take this post seriously)
    Not related to pavement.. exactly.. but we've actually seen this useful. Low bridge, but only just barely. Load had no other route to destination.

A field service truck with compressor had to be put on scene as all the tires on an already low-low lowboy trailer were deflated by enough to very, very, carefully sneak under the bridge, be re-inflated once out the other side.

Call that Redneck Rigging, but was planned carefully in advance, not discovered by accident, so it got the load delivered without a huge delay.

Corps of Engineers takes the BFBI route. Puts a D9G to work, drops the roadway a foot or so, repaves it lower, later. No longer a problem, next-go!

It's all modifiable, after all.

God didn't want Earth messed-with in novel and entertaining ways, she would not have invented hardy son-of-bitches with hairy ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here's a quick update.

Driveway was finished off last Monday afternoon, and we stayed off of it until Thursday night. Temps down to 40's or so.

RV is parked (back axle) on 1/2" steel plate, roughly 3'x3', which is on top of 4'x4' OSB at the moment. (Visqueen/plastic will go down under that on Monday when RV heads out for brake work.) Front wheels are on a 2" x 20" exterior grade LVL "cutoff" (actually ordering mistake) from the garage construction crew just across the street. Gratis, even though I offered up cash.

While the RV is in the shop for brakes, I'm going to wire brush and paint the steel (or use bedliner if it can take the weight), put down plastic, and replace the wood with some Advantech water-resistant subfloor material, and bevel the bottom edges. Or maybe plastic deck material. Having it bend up a little where it exits the steel plate might be a good thing.

But here's the fun part: This afternoon, however, a UPS truck decided to use my drive as a turn-around, and I didn't even have packages being delivered. I stopped him as he was backing in, and told him to get off the blacktop. Instead of "Oops, sorry..." his response was "Hey, there's not a sign that says 'No Trucks' or 'No Turnaround', so how am I to know?" This is a residential drive on a 40' wide street with no parked cars around... No problem with a 3-point turn, or just staying on the concrete apron. But no, he had to back a few feet onto the blacktop, then sit there and argue with me about being there in his 28' van. No idea how heavy it was. His recalcitrance succeeded in making me angrier, so he fought back by sitting there to further discuss the matter.

Had he backed in and immediately left before I got out there, he would have been on it for all of 10 seconds. He stopped to look something up, or check his Facebook or whatever, so he was settling in for a spell.

So now I can look forward to a holiday season of damaged and lost UPS packages, even though he's not the regular route driver. He can look forward to an interesting conversation with his manager at the depot, who was not too pleased with his approach to customer service.

Just venting. But my whole camper probably weighs less than his back axle empty weight. And I had thought last night about posting 'No Turnaround/No Trucks' signs, mainly because of front wheel tire-scrubbing damaging new blacktop. I've never seen a UPS truck, frontwards or backwards, on any drive on the street...

I'll get over it eventually. But damn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did the UPS truck leave divots in the blacktop?
    Once it is fully cured the danger of tire scrubbing damaging it goes down to almost nil. Fresh, keep off and do not turn wheels unless rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our side street is 2 years old and the bobcat ruins it on a hot day.

Have to squish it back with shoes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post

But here's the fun part: This afternoon, however, a UPS truck decided to use my drive as a turn-around, and I didn't even have packages being delivered. I stopped him as he was backing in, and told him to get off the blacktop. Instead of "Oops, sorry..." his response was "Hey, there's not a sign that says 'No Trucks' or 'No Turnaround', so how am I to know?" This is a residential drive on a 40' wide street with no parked cars around... No problem with a 3-point turn, or just staying on the concrete apron. But no, he had to back a few feet onto the blacktop, then sit there and argue with me about being there in his 28' van. No idea how heavy it was. His recalcitrance succeeded in making me angrier, so he fought back by sitting there to further discuss the matter.

Had he backed in and immediately left before I got out there, he would have been on it for all of 10 seconds. He stopped to look something up, or check his Facebook or whatever, so he was settling in for a spell.

So now I can look forward to a holiday season of damaged and lost UPS packages, even though he's not the regular route driver. He can look forward to an interesting conversation with his manager at the depot, who was not too pleased with his approach to customer service.

Just venting. But my whole camper probably weighs less than his back axle empty weight. And I had thought last night about posting 'No Turnaround/No Trucks' signs, mainly because of front wheel tire-scrubbing damaging new blacktop. I've never seen a UPS truck, frontwards or backwards, on any drive on the street...

I'll get over it eventually. But damn.
    Live in a rural neighborhood. Our drives are all gravel save for two homeowners that added blacktop. Our UPS driver won’t drive to the door in the winter with chains on to those homes...he delivers to a neighbors place. Just so the chains don’t tear up their drives. They aren’t all jerks.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i am fighting the "protect my new(5yr old) ass fault" driveway as well.
    so far so good.
    have not thought of my next rigger hire till reading this, that monster high low???
    good luck
    Gw