What's new
What's new

OT - really high quality camera for backup camera for shop van?

bryan_machine

Diamond
Shop van is dodge sprinter. Really needs the backup camera (added aftermarket it's an old van.) said camera is failing. The folks who installed the first two are an unamusing combination of incompetence and crookedness. So I am going to open this can of worms directly.

The problem I encounter is that searching the usual suspects (amazon, ebay, the RV suppliers, etc) I only find cameras about like (or sometimes identical to) the ones I put on my forklift. Those work, and are useful, but given how much better the cameras on my newer car and RV are, I'd like to do much better.

So does anybody have a reference for, or even the right magic search term for, higher res (say 480p or better) cameras and screens practical to install a road going van? (A 2006 dodge sprinter for what that's worth.)

If it has a yellow plug, it is limited to ~480 lines

Some monitors are actually only 240 lines

Some of the dashcams have rear view cams that claim to be hi def but I haven't bought them

pay attention to the viewing angle as it affects perceived quality of the image. IOW a 180 degree camera each display pixel is coarser than a 90 degree.

I ended up with a android tablet for a display as it is difficult to find anything with more than 480 lines of display

There are then USB cameras and wifi cameras that you can hook up to that tablet[or phone]

Shop van is dodge sprinter. Really needs the backup camera (added aftermarket it's an old van.) said camera is failing. The folks who installed the first two are an unamusing combination of incompetence and crookedness. So I am going to open this can of worms directly.

The problem I encounter is that searching the usual suspects (amazon, ebay, the RV suppliers, etc) I only find cameras about like (or sometimes identical to) the ones I put on my forklift. Those work, and are useful, but given how much better the cameras on my newer car and RV are, I'd like to do much better.

So does anybody have a reference for, or even the right magic search term for, higher res (say 480p or better) cameras and screens practical to install a road going van? (A 2006 dodge sprinter for what that's worth.)

What gustafson said. Price-wise, one could make the case for buying a USB-equipped (most of them) or WiFi general-purpose camera-camera. IIRC, my Nikon Coolpix was only about a hundred bucks and has resolutions clear up to those as would need a 4K screen. Or better. Wife's massive "real" Nikon can prolly do astronomy as well as moving picture shows.

Which means.. I'd START with the best screen as could be effectively installed - test with "whatever" decent "multiple choice" camera you already have... then work the "permanent" camera choice off that.

Reality is that a "great" one isn't all that big a deal.

They are only meant to advise of a possible hazard. Not determine whether a pedestrian in the zone has cellulite, skin-cancer, fake tats, or needs a shave.

This looks like a good camera for your needs. 1000 lines and 1024x600 pixels with very good customer reviews. Made for the purpose for which you intend to use it. Wireless. No personal experience with it though.... 159 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RDKG3DM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRVVHWjVXSDZCNzk4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjA4NzA5Mk8zSUNKQU1BUTY4TSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTUyNDg0UzRZV1pFRVY2SUpGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

[FONT=&quot]❋ Pixels: 1024 x 600[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋ System: PAL / NTSC (auto switch) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋ Brightness: 400cd/m2 ❋ Contrast Ratio: 600:1 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rear Camera Spec[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋Lens Viewing Angle: Diagonal 170°,Horizontal Angle 120°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋Image Sensor: Imported CCD Sensor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋TV System: NTSC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋ Resolution:1000 TV Lines[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋ 28 IR Lights make Dark night to be visible[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]❋ Night Vision: Yes

Denis[/FONT]

My neighborhood NAPA has cameras live and on-display for the auditioning. Some stores as many as 8 or 10 in a row. Overlay lines, different display sizes, the works.

My neighborhood NAPA has cameras live and on-display for the auditioning. Some stores as many as 8 or 10 in a row. Overlay lines, different display sizes, the works.

Seems like a good idea to a Collitch Marketeering grad, but here's another view:

"At school, GE, Nela Park", they pointed out that the margins on lighting fixtures were so slender, any major store or distributor as kept their fixtures on display illuminated the whole day instead of on-demand switches or rotating timers, was a sure bet to lose money.

Seems the lamps and electricity used in a year, plus air-con to shed the heat, cost more than the average sales volume produced in profit for a year. More germane, lower power, here, the loss of full price goods to display dirt, and damage wasn't always "free", either.

Take advantage of that sort of display.. before they smarten-up and mebbe don't even sell them in-store but send yah off to take-yer-chances online ordering.

2CW

Thanks for the good pointers.

thermite there's one small nit - safety means being being able to keep on eye on trailer hitches and rack-mounted bicycles - both of which are hard to see in enough detail to know "time to stop!"

Mud - I put a pair of standard tolly brothers (sp) cameras on - the rear one is a total win - the one on the mast is iffy - I have to work more on that one.

Thanks for the good pointers.

thermite there's one small nit - safety means being being able to keep on eye on trailer hitches and rack-mounted bicycles - both of which are hard to see in enough detail to know "time to stop!"

Microphone mought be easier. Figure you already know what those sound like as they impact, or you'd not bother seeking a better way?

:)

Mirror on a rod used to be all the rage, during family Airstreaming, Leica IIIf still "high tech" as camera's went.

Cheap-arse Jaguar XJ8-L has an array of DME - ultrasonic, I'd guess- just makes birdsong of various tribes at me in code. Decoding distance is natural enough, y'ah had much to do with wimmin.
Remote eyeballing was on the higher-priced Vandenplas or "Portfolio" model.

But I hear yah.

"wotever" needs to be integrated to what you'll actually be looking at. Not ignoring.

Totally useless comment.

I was out with a client, we had to back out into a road, he driving. "Want me to get out and watch for you?" "Na, I just back up until I smell shit or hear glass break."

Paul

I also want a back-up camera. I don't know what I would want in a front view camera, wide angle and HD would probably do it there. But for a back up camera I would want one that is position-able (one that I can aim where I want to look) and with a zoom lens that I can control (wide angle and telephoto).

I also want a back-up camera. I don't know what I would want in a front view camera, wide angle and HD would probably do it there. But for a back up camera I would want one that is position-able (one that I can aim where I want to look) and with a zoom lens that I can control (wide angle and telephoto).

Then you need TWO of them, not one.

The goal of a B/U camera is to present the same predictable shape and coverage, each go, so a driver can make fast and consistent use of it- keeping in mind that it is only one of MANY things (s)he has to be aware of, all subject to whatever evil other drivers as want him dead may be up to, any given fraction of a second!

Or so it is safest to assume.

The other gadget may be handy, but far more confusing for most "moving" situations.

Needs too high a ration of attention for routine use.

Windscreens to the front of a vehicle, are, after all, generally larger than rear-view mirrors.

2CW

They are only meant to advise of a possible hazard. Not determine whether a pedestrian in the zone has cellulite, skin-cancer, fake tats, or needs a shave.

Those are the hazards that need avoidance....even when backing up....:skep:

Back