What's new
What's new

OT: rebuilding Notre Dame Cathedral video

I watched 2.5 hrs of fascinating documentaries on this (on the BBC iPlayer) a while ago.
The first 90 minutes as a subtitled documentary on the fire itself, from the first wisp of smoke to the major collapses. The second hour was how they were rebuilding it - from analysis of the original wood sources and limestone quarries, to the buttress supports and the cleaning of the stained glass rose windows.
It was fascinating, I was hooked more than a major Hollywood blockbuster.
I was last there in September 2018 six months before the fire, celebrating a birthday with a weekend in Paris. Glad I got to see it again before this happened.

I watched the same two documentaries on BBC TV. The French one focused on the fire and the firefighters, and was right there in the action. There was an absolute determination to rescue relics and other artefacts at all costs. People were risking their lives to get them, and the firefighters were not impressed by the fact that the stressed cathedral official who had to lead them to the locked safe couldn’t remember the code!

At one point it seemed that all was lost, when flames were seen in one of the bell towers. The wooden framework had caught fire, and this would inevitably cause the heavy bells to fall through the floors and take the fire into the body of the cathedral. They couldn’t play hoses on the timbers from outside. One team volunteered to go inside and try and stop it there. This was highly dangerous, and the decision was passed upstairs. The camera was right there on the spot, and we saw the Fire Chief agonizing over whether to put those lives at high risk. Clearly he felt it was the right thing to do, but he was able to pass the final decision on to President Macron, who was right there on the spot. He too agonized for a few moments, before saying the equivalent of ‘do it’. A rare chance to witness such a decisive moment.

Then we learned just how dangerous it was: the firefighters needed to go up several floors, and the wooden stair treads were actually burning. They resorted to aluminium ladders. They extinguished the fire.

The main fire station was due a formal inspection the following morning, which required everything to be spotless. After fighting the fire all night, the team went back to the station and set about cleaning and tidying for the inspection! Very dedicated people.

The sad fact, of course, is it can't be rebuilt. Even if they were to faithfully recreate what was there, it still won't be what it was. They'll just have to do the best they can.

And I can't help drop a comment that, or course, there are all the jackasses who decried the way so many 'rich' people pledged funds right away when they could have given that money to them. As if....

Donations, tax deductible, using a tragedy to launder dodgy pennies?, I’m still of the opinion the fire was deliberate myself, certain other religions didn’t like a Christian cathedral perhaps
I’m going to watch the videos I hope to have my mind changed as my current opinions do not rest easy with me to say the least, the world can’t be as bad as that, can it?
Mark

You bring up a good point I hadn't considered. Like much of the world today, we'll never know the truth. For sure, the rise of Muslimism (?) can't be discounted. It's also interesting to note that in France, for many years now, there are more Muslim, non-French born each year than French people. My own opinion is that within 50 years, France will no longer be called France.

It all kinda reminds me of the part in 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' when the car burns up and Steve Martin starts laughing at John Candy and says, "You did it to yourself!". Similarly, as I see much of the free world being lost to the Evil and Stupid, I think "We're doing it to ourselves!"

I’ve recently been reading their instruction manual, it’s downright scary, we are as they clearly say, the worst of creatures to be subjugated unless we pay jizier aka protection
Sad a billion people haven’t read the book of peace, or pieces depending on how they like you
Mark

One constant throughout history....people who are lazy or stupid don't fare well. If you happen to be both, that's even worse.

Back