UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcphearson View Post
    I want a small, relatively quiet bike
    If you are driving a small bike then you are at the mercy of every other vehicle. You can't brake quickly and you can't accelerate quickly. Just a nice easy target. Too quiet a bike will also be a disadvantage, other drivers who have stiff necks will not turn around to look and assume it is clear because they can't hear you. You know nothing about bikes? I think you are right.

2. Likes DJ2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honda 300 single. I think a small elderly car would be better - especially a station wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a honda cb900 that I got to see if I liked riding, and always took a back pack to carry stuff. I didn't enjoy riding at all, to much work, fight the wind, and dodging traffic. thing was not a powerhouse 80 was tops in steep country with 300lbs on it would do a 100 on level but forget gunning it to get out of trouble. always had to stay on top of the fuel yes it got 40-50 mpg but it only had a 3 gallon tank. a corolla gets 32 and you have a chance of surviving a wreck, with ac and heater. get a cheap bike, practice, and practice, learn to dodge, emergency brake, and pickup a peg scraper before driving on the public roads, you might survive, but odds are high you will lay it down in the first 2 years. Were the crashing stops will decide if you live or not. 3 of my brothers were into 1000 cc crotchrockets they all layed down a bike hard at least once, totaled a couple.they were lunatics of course, 80mph wheelies down the interstate then off the next exit and watch the cops race past type crap. Im amazed they are all still alive. a cousin is crippled and in pain for life because he hit a patch of gravel on a corner and went over a guard rail , just going to work

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One way to educate yourself about motorcycles you would be interested in is to do a modified Craigslist search. Years, price, cc's, range your willing to travel. After seeing what's out there check out online reviews about the ones you might like. Loads of info right at your finger tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    "I am willing to test each of your bikes on the track,..."

Track =/= commuting.

Funny I never see any track guys on the taconic in February. I think basically the crotch
    rockets must have some sort of disable feature. The motor won't run if the temperature is
    below 30F, or if there's going to be any precipitation in the next three weeks.

Maybe there's some sort of aftermarket computer tweak that lets those guys run in the
    winter.
    I ride all year and dont wont own a car.
    I like my sports bikes as they are nice and easy for filtering.I have a aprilia rsv factory which is dry only but thats because I dont want water on my ohlins!
    Ive qualified for the tt in 94 though the bike seized and that was the end of it so im pretty quick but that behavior is best saved for the track

7. Likes doug925, daredo222 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want a small, relatively quiet bike for my 16 mile round trip to work. It's mostly back roads, no highways. Something cheap and fairly new/reliable. I would like some cargo capacity for hauling small parts occasionally. I know nothing about bikes. I'd appreciate your suggestions.

-Roland in NJ
    Just get an old upright honda hornet or something like that, cheap as chips in less than perfect condition so as it wont break your heart if you bin or it goes missing. Is good enough to take round a track which I highly recommend, you really learn how to ride there and find out what your bike can do. Added points for knocking your mates off
    Mallory Park trackday You Jockeys! - YouTube

Hmmm, kinda regret selling the blade

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Are you already a motorcyclist? if yes, how long since you have ridden a bike?
    There are many more questions, but they all boil down to one thing - STAYING ALIVE!

Posted by a former biker - both on and off road, plus competition, ......who in his early 60's KNOWS he'd not last long on 2 wheels on todays roads.
    Dad, you have just given me a good idea for your next birthday present.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Dad, you have just given me a good idea for your next birthday present.
    The little sods seen my life insurance policy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pressbrake1 View Post
    I ride all year and dont wont own a car.
    I like my sports bikes as they are nice and easy for filtering.I have a aprilia rsv factory which is dry only but thats because I dont want water on my ohlins!
    Ive qualified for the tt in 94 though the bike seized and that was the end of it so im pretty quick but that behavior is best saved for the track
    Yes, but during the TT, me thinks they stop all the cross traffic.....

12. Likes Limy Sami, doug925 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    True, but I almost got taken out by another bike coming down the mountain...and it wasn't Mad Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want a small, relatively quiet bike ..............
    Realize that all motorcycles come from the factory needing to meet noise specs. One manufacturer offers a louder exhaust as an option but the loud bikes are ones where the owner has modified the exhaust.

Southpark Harley Fags pt2 - YouTube

This episode is called "The F Word" and well worth watching the whole episode.

Steve

15. Likes jmead liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's your typical NJ commuter, that you will sharing the road with (let's hope
    you all go the same direction)
    213 Rally of the Tall Pines - Stage 1 In-car - YouTube

I think the TT would be much more fun with NJ drivers added in eh ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Are you already a motorcyclist? if yes, how long since you have ridden a bike?
    There are many more questions, but they all boil down to one thing - STAYING ALIVE!

Posted by a former biker - both on and off road, plus competition, ......who in his early 60's KNOWS he'd not last long on 2 wheels on todays roads.
    I had to hang up two wheeling about a dozen years ago because of physical issues. Now with more inattentive drivers because of wide spread cell phone use I would think motorcycling has to be more dangerous than ever. If you ride a lot and I did, it isn't whether you will crash it is when. If it is crowded impatient drivers will pull out or turn in front of you even if you have made eye contact.

18. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you study the accidents statistics roughly 2/3rds of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle crashes.
    Exactly. It's why I said earlier that most bikers on the road think they are a lot better riders than they actually are. The truth is most riders here in America have mediocre-to-average skills and ability...at best.

I was always amazed at how fast guys wanted to ride when I was with a pack. I guess it's the macho thing, the adrenaline rush of riding close to the edge, and pushing the bike to it's limits.

Even the Harley riders will sling their huge heavy bikes around mountain curves like madmen, too arrogant to realize just how close they are coming to calamity.

If you feel the need to get those kind of thrills, by all means find a track somewhere and ride there.

Pay attention, and you hear about motorcycling deaths about every weekend during riding season. Damn ignorant cocky riders either pushing the limits, or riding complacent - which is something you can never do if you expect to live.

ToolCat

20. Likes Demon73, Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    I was always amazed at how fast guys wanted to ride when I was with a pack. I guess it's the macho thing, the adrenaline rush of riding close to the edge, and pushing the bike to it's limits.
    I was always back of the pack, just see to many things that can kill you. Apart from the obvious other plebs on the road theres crash barriers / trees / concrete sidings etc. At least on the track youre all going one direction with plenty of soft run off and theres an ambulance minutes away. The TT boys are another breed.
    Was out with the guys very early one morning hacking down the A3, back o the pack as norms. No traffic or popos on the road so Im thinking what can go wrong. Way in front, cloppy (he only had one eye) sat up and was hit by a two birds, one shot off left and other looped high up into the air. I was on the stop on an old 750SRAD, nothing I could do but plant my face on the tank and hold on. Luckly it only glanced of the back of my lid. Mick behind said he just saw an explosion of feathers. Lucky boy that day

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you study the accidents statistics roughly 2/3rds of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle crashes.
    20 years ago it was cars hitting bikes, now it's single bike accidents. I understand there's also a high correlation to alcohol involvement in those single bike accidents, so it seems to be dwi on bikes driving the stats upward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the OP simply must have a motorcycle, *( I prefer old cars) I still haven't changed my mind on the his quest for a motorcycle that's reliable, inexpensive and will only go 16 miles each way. We have a 2002 Rebel 250 in the family that belongs to my daughter. They have built the same bike with the same parts numbers for more than 20 years.

The Honda Rebel 250 was designed as a starter bike for the Honda line. The engine and running gear are absolutely bulletproof. With minor adjustments of the pegs, pedals and handlebars, it can easily accommodate a 6' rider. Best of all, the fuel mileage is great, more than 60 mpg, and maintenance involves blowing out the air cleaner now and then and an occasional quart of oil. It has a built in centrifugal oil filter that's east to clean out.

The Rebel also was built in a 450cc version but I've never seen one on the road.

JMO, YMMV.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cheapest commuter bike is a pedal bike, 8 miles each way, it's doable.

Look at the mountain / cruiser bicycles with the quick change shifters.
    It's not your 10 speed from 1975 anymore.

Next cheapest is an electric bicycle becsuse there's no insurance.

If you want power, then you have to buy insurance.
    Even the smallest cheapest bike here is $ 1,000 a year for insurance-or more.

No buying insurance for just a few months, it's a full year policy

No matter how good the gas mileage is, the $ on insurance means you save nothing.

If you have absolutely Zero motorcycle experience , buy an 80 to 100cc dirt bike and ride in fields and trails a few years until you learn the stupid basics, then take the road riding course.
    Last edited by Steven-Canada; 04-11-2018 at 02:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    What I meant is being humble about it is im quicker than 99.99% of motorcyclists but choose to ride carefully and like a gentleman.
    Someone once mocked me saying its ok being fast on the track but it takes real balls to be fast on the road.
    He went into a low load carrying a d8 at 150mph and exploded, fucking idiot

26. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Exactly. It's why I said earlier that most bikers on the road think they are a lot better riders than they actually are. The truth is most riders here in America have mediocre-to-average skills and ability...at best.

ToolCat
    +1

This is driven home everytime I would take the ERC class. My performance on all the exercises improves markedly during repetition. This means I was rusty at whatever the skill was.

Also this is driven home around here during the spring riding season. Most folks get rusty during the winter, and then wick it up too much on the first nice day. Crash results.

Hond Rebel, nice bike if you are 5 feet tall. Otherwise way undersized - which is not to say, underpowered.