What's new
What's new

OT- Recommend a fiber optic tester ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
If it matters, for Agie Mondo Star 20 CNC sinker EDM. Is there an easy way to test fiber optic cables for function without shining a light thru one end of the cable and checking the other end for light ?

There are, but what they do is to shine an infrared light into one end al see how much makes it to the far end.

What do you mean by "function"? What does this fiber optic cable do?

Budget and type of testing?

Just checking to see if it passes light only requires a strong penlight style flashlight and a piece of paper, aim light at one end and see spot on paper at other.

For certification it can get real crazy real fast, equipment in past life there were "checking" tools that were similar to the penlight with microscope to inspect interface to TDR equipment.

With fiber common now for "last mile" delivery as well as consumer entertainment there may be decent equipment out but we no longer keep up so not sure what is common use stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You can "see" infrared light sources by using your mobile phone camera as it has some infrared response even with the built in filters. This is a great way to see if your TV remote is faulty and should let you get at least a basic "go / no go" by looking for flickering light with your phone in camera mode and aimed at the end of the fiber when it's unplugged from the receiver.

Edit: to see if your particular phone will see infrared, put the phone in camera mode and aim the phone's camera at the clear LEDS on the end of a known good TV remote and press any of the remotes buttons to transmit light.

I have a Noyes Fiber Systems OFS 300-200B Optical Fiber Scope S/N 1M02BM132 , here at my desk.

It's the Magnifier and flashlight combination sort of thing Tony mentioned.

With it you can observe the condition of the fiber end, or if the fiber is a bundle and back lit, dead fibers show up dark.

I've used it for preparing both fiber types for light and energy delivery.

I don't use it any more. It's yours for a c note, heck, the batteries are still good and the lamp lights up when the green button is pressed ;_

let me know if it might be useful ....

Cal

I have a Noyes Fiber Systems OFS 300-200B Optical Fiber Scope S/N 1M02BM132 , here at my desk.

It's the Magnifier and flashlight combination sort of thing Tony mentioned.

With it you can observe the condition of the fiber end, or if the fiber is a bundle and back lit, dead fibers show up dark.

I've used it for preparing both fiber types for light and energy delivery.

I don't use it any more. It's yours for a c note, heck, the batteries are still good and the lamp lights up when the green button is pressed ;_

let me know if it might be useful ....

Cal
Have you got the four adapters with it ? (like in below kit)

Noyes OFS-300 Optical Fiber Scope w/ adapters and carying case. | eBay

I have not used a digital device like the Egomall.

The difficulty I have with "meters" is that you need a known good component to compare. Without the reference, I always suspect the set up.

Pessimist I suppose. Plus, I dislike using "black boxes". Things that may work, but I don't know well just how they work. That's a personal thing...;-)

I see that unit is all about the NIR. 850 to 1625 nm.

What advantage, if any, would the OFS-300 have over something like this-

Egomall Fiber Optic Cable Tester Visual Fault Locator Portable Optical Power 726084347755 | eBay

Visual versus data ? To prove out a cable would it matter really ?

The noyes is a microscope for inspecting the condition of the fiber face. It’s real value is is it’s a miniature camera and display protecting your eye from blinding by invisible laser light. It would normally be used in testing far more critical installations than a low end optical fault finder- however the latter may be more useful in general troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I figured out a way to test the cables without a meter or scope.... I found one of the fiber outlets that was blinking red and simply plugged each end into that outlet and observed the same blinking red at the other end of each cable.... unfortunately they are all good ! I say unfortunately as now I get to spend yet more time trying to figure out what is wrong with this damn EDM ! :fight:

Back