What's new
What's new

OT: Recommendation for PCB layout/reverse engineering service

carbonbl

Cast Iron
I'm looking for a PCB layout and reverse engineering service that can take a sample board and provide Gerber files ready for manufacturing. I've done some searching and there are many companies out there who advertise this service but a recommendation from a PM member with experience in this area would be excellent. I also searched PM archives and there are members who have done similar projects but I'm not sure they are active anymore.

The full explanation is we have a product line that involves replacing 30-40 year old PCBs, dimensions approx 6" x 15". They only have terminal connectors, no other components. So to my mind the electrical engineering is fairly simple, however the boards use nonstandard terminal connectors and are made up of 5 thin layers stacked on a plastic(?) panel. I'm not sure of the correct terminology for this type of PCB composition but someone used to working on newer electronics may be unfamiliar with it. We need to replicate multiple designs of this type in modern, multilayer FR4 boards. In the past we have had them remade but the company we worked with is no longer around and unfortunately my predecessor was not tech-savvy enough to request layout files.

Any recommendation would be much appreciated!

I have done that kind of work. And I am familiar with PCB styles over a 50+ year period.

Are you saying that these boards are multilayer. That means that, in addition to foil patterns on the top and bottom, there are layers of foil that are inside the board where they can't be seen. A single or double layer board, where all the foil can be seen would be tedious, but fairly straightforward. If there are hidden layers and you do not have a schematic, then it would take a lot of testing to fully determine the complete circuit pattern and that could get a lot more expensive for a large PCB like you are talking about.

If you have a full and ACCURATE schematic, then things get a lot simpler. The schematic is the starting point for most PCB layout work. Specs on the parts to be mounted on it would also be a definite plus and would help a lot to prevent errors and problems.

I would only take on a project like this on a time and materials basis. And I would not look kindly on any unreasonable deadlines.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll follow up via PM in the next couple days to those who expressed interest.

Back