What's new
What's new

OT recommendations for a cell phone

jackal

Titanium
I've been looking at cellphones. I bought a new Samsung A12 back in July, and now it won't turn on.
This is the first time I've had a phone die without any warning.
Most of my stuff is on the memory chip, but still agravating.
My old LG was still good, but AT&T said it wasn't supported by the new 4g\5g system.
After 5 months, I'm having to use a free phone from ATT. ( Almost nothing really).
What is a good affordable smart phone ( touch screen) that will handle basic stuff, and be durable?
If I'm welding, or grinding\ torching, etc. The phone goes in the toolbox.
When my old phone was changed out at Best Buy, the guy said I had the dirtiest phone he had ever seen.
When he opened the back it was full of metal dust that was stuck to everything.

Do you have any recommendations for a phone that isn't $1500.
Usually, the $165-$225 are perfect for me.
It's hard to find someone that doesn't want to sell me a $2000 phone.
The last guy at best buy said he wouldn't sell me a nice phone.
I just want something that will last more than 6 months.
Thanks

I have been getting my cell service for over 10 years from Pure Talk. I am grandfathered in with a plan that has four lines for about $25 a month. I pay another $10 for data on one of those lines. I do not think that plan is still available. Their present plans seem to start at $20 per month for one line with discounts for additional lines.

Pure Talk has good prices on the cell phones they presently have available. Prices range from free to several hundred dollars.. The Apple phones, when they have them available, are the most expensive. My present, Android based phone cost me $25. And for their customers, they provide the SIM cards for each number free.

I have used their tech assistance several times and there was never a charge for it.

No Contract Low Cost PrePaid Cellphone Plans - Pure Talk

I use Republic phone service.

The phones are somehow "special". I can not say why.

I have a Motorola G7. It has been all I need for the past few years. Less than $200. IIRC.

Low monthly fee, ($20) Unlimited WiFi with data add ons. Service varies with location.

I HATE CELL PHONES so there is that.

I use a Kyocera DuraXE, which is absolutely not what you want. Flip-phone with no touchscreen. But you can run a pickup truck over it without damaging it, drop it in a mud puddle with no issues, and you can set the ringer and volume almost loud enough to be useful at an active construction site. Does 4G LTE just fine, does not do 5G (any band).

I use a Samsung Xcover 4, I believe the Mk5 is now available with a bigger battery. It's sold as a rugged phone although it's not as over-the-top as some. It's IP68, so fairly coolant proof. However, the rubber surround isn't proof against fast 2K thinners. DAMHIKT...

Maybe a little over your price range, but I splurged on a pixel 5a and I like it a lot. For reference, my last phone was a Nokia 7.1.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

iPhones start at $399. I think they are the highest quality phones available, I don't think dirt or chips will damage them. I'm still using my 10 which is 4 years old.

You get what you pay for.

I hate to be this guy, but a couple years ago I traded in a beat-to-hell 5 year old Blackberry for an iPhone 11 Pro Max. The shell of the phone itself is made from stainless steel. I've dropped it on concrete a number of times and there's hardly any visible damage to it at all. It even got slammed on, center mass, by my truck door at one time. I've got a Zagg screen protector on it that has a lifetime warranty and it's kept the screen in mint condition. It's been spiderwebbed a few times now but they've given me a new one on warranty every time I've needed one. The phone is totally waterproof (not sure if that runs parallel with coolant), and I've found this to come in handy on more than one occasion. After two years the battery still gets me into a third day on a single full charge. If everything keeps running as it should this phone will easily last me another two years despite all the drops and other stupid shit I manage to do with it.

I'm not saying run out and spend 1k on a new one, but I'd be willing to bet that at this point you can get a gently used of the same generation for $500-$600 bucks. It might not last you 10 years but I guarantee you'd get a lot more than 6 months out of it.

You can buy phones new in the box on EBAY for a fraction of what they sold for just 4 years ago when they were the latest model.
You probably could have bought an S9 for what you paid for the A12.

Had a couple of phone changes forced on me by the Sprint/ T Mobile merger. Old dura phone was fairly rugged then they required a change because it would not work on the 3 and 4G networks about the same time the battery cover failed. So that change was timely. New Sonim 3 something or other replaced it. Plenty rugged but I hated keying in texts and contacts. Cow stepped on that phone and pushed it down into the mud. I dug the mud out of the ear port under running water and it still worked! Was kind of hoping it would not. Change over to the T-mobile network and another upgrade was necessary, and the Cat S22 was available. Had to be an improvement so I jumped on it. Touch screen works good so over all it is a better phone, not sure if it would have survived the cow stepping on it but I do not hate it.

I have had very good luck with a refurbished Google Pixel phone purchased on Amazon. My main reason on going with Pixel was that security updates were much faster and it was unlocked so any sim card could be used. Cheap enough I do not carry insurance. I do keep it in a portfolio case, which protects the screen and phone from all sorts for potential damage.

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. They gave me $630 trade in for my 4 year old Note 8. I've been going with the top end Samsungs for a while now and they have been great. The functions may be more than you need, but I use mine for everything and the picture quality is insane. The battery life is the best I've had in years. If you're hard on phones, there are some really good cases you can get to protect it.

I use a Kyocera DuraXE, which is absolutely not what you want. Flip-phone with no touchscreen. But you can run a pickup truck over it without damaging it, drop it in a mud puddle with no issues, and you can set the ringer and volume almost loud enough to be useful at an active construction site. Does 4G LTE just fine, does not do 5G (any band).

Kyocera Dura Force is the one piece version. Some have a sapphire screen which is hard to scratch.
Bill D

I've been using Google Fi as my carrier, they are dirt cheap and also have a line of phones you can buy or pay a small monthly fee added to your bill.

Check them out, they have very reasonable plans and prices for phones.

I just bought 3 S20 FE's from ebay... new in the box for $450 each... One for me another for my mom and the last for the in laws.
They are locked to Tmobile the carrier I use cause I dont wanna worry about patches or updates.

The S20 FE is pretty much a S21 for fewer bucks.

The S8 Active this replaced lasted me for 4 years... After carrying a cell phone / work leash for nearly 30 years the S8 active was the first phone I didnt break....

I didnt want an open box cause you never really know for sure.... the ad said new in the box even though the boxes ended up being opened.

We didnt need top of the line phones for mom and the inlaws... there just arent many wireless charging options.. wireless charging is important for mom and the inlaws... those plugs are kinda small for folks in their 80's. As the ol guy they turn to for tech support having the same phone eliminates lots of googling.

Why Tmobile? 2 unlimited lines for $65 a month times 2 gets 4 lines for the wife and I and both of our mothers.
I hear it is $70 now days to sign up...

Last edited:
The best phones I have ever had are the Google Pixels. Just finally swapped out my Pixel 2 with a Pixel 4a (unlocked version). The old Pixel 2 was still good but it was no longer receiving any updates. I think you have to get a Pixel 5a with 5G now or go with the Pixel 6. Just be sure to enroll in the accident coverage if you are that hard on them.

Compare Pixel Phones and Specs - Google Store

Also add a good case like the Spigen or Otter and an OMOTON or similar screen protector.

Back