What's new
What's new

OT:removing rancid olive oil

Bill D

Diamond
off Topic: My wife has several glass and stainless little bottles and pitchers to store or serve olive oil. Problem is the oil has gotten old and tuned rancid. I tried washing but some sticky coating remains. Opening is too small for a good cleaning
I hesitate to use solvent as it may leave a bad taste. Would lye mixed with water remove the yuck safely?
Not completely off topic as some here recommend vegetable oils for cutting odd metals.
Bill D.

Last year I made the mistake of coating the cutter plates and knives for my meat grinder in olive oil for storage. A year later that was some evil shit. I was able to wash off maybe half, but ended up burning off the remainder on the stove. I'll be anxiously waiting for someone to post the right way to clean this up.

I do have a spray can of olive oil with garlic that I use from time to time. it is over ten years old and still good. I think it may be over 24 years old? I assume charged with nitrogen or freon.
Bill D.

Check Craigslist in your area, or even Ebay, and look for Glycerine made from Biodiesel. Most people will give it away... I know I did. Had more of it than I knew what to do with when fuel was $4.50 a gallon and I was making my own fuel for $1.20.

Anyhow, the Glycerine from biodiesel processing will cut the olive oil, no problem. In fact, using the rancid olive oil for fuel making isn't an issue either. Offer your rancid oil on CL for some glycerine?

*EDIT*
biodiesel processor

Call him and see if he has any. Stuff is great hand cleaner too!

Caustic soda, Or Lye as you in the US call it, is the stuff you need.
It is used in food processing plants as a cleaner. not just on the outside, but inside the pipes tanks etc.
Using it warmed up to 60 degrees Celsius will make it work much better.

The usual warnings apply.

A shot of heavy duty oven cleaner which contains lye will turn the oil to soap so it can be removed.

I recently used some to remove some baked on crud in the recesses of the embossed name on a stainless tea kettle. This sits on a back burner and splash from cooking must have resisted wiping and eventually baked on from the kettle's heat. I only noticed it when I went to polish the outside with paste.

EDIT: Gloves and splash goggles a must!

It is also a great way to clean files if you remove or protect the handles.

Last year I made the mistake of coating the cutter plates and knives for my meat grinder in olive oil for storage. A year later that was some evil shit. I was able to wash off maybe half, but ended up burning off the remainder on the stove. I'll be anxiously waiting for someone to post the right way to clean this up.

Weren't you afraid of killing the heat treating on the knives and plates ?

Rancid olive oil is a natural varnish, made from an edible vegetable oil. Oil paints and varnish are the same thing, but made from an inedible vegetable oil. But they are all forms of varnish, and are easily removed using a methylene chloride containing paint stripper, like 5f5. After the varnish film is gone, carefully clean away the stripper residue.

Lye................... purple cleaner, oven cleaner, etc.

It works quite well on vegetable oils, even cured tung oil in paint. Your gummy sticky olive oil is partly crosslinked due to the double bonds available on the molecule of oil. Lye-based cleaner will take it off. Lye is a disinfectant as well, usage goes back to the ancient Hebrews (water of parting ... old Testament), and if washed out afterwards will be no issue for food contact containers.

yes, the detergent in hot water etc may work, but will take longer, and will work less well the more thoroughly crosslinked the oil is.

Back