What's new
What's new

How to dispose of my old turning center?

SeanC

Aluminum
I'm writing to ask what my best route would be to get rid of my old turning center, a 1990 Leadwell LTC10. It has the Duplomatic turret and has issues with not finding/locking into position. I've had someone out to look at it(admittedly I didn't have much faith in this particular repair guy) and he thinks the issue to be the relay on the main board in the control cabinet. It has been like this for over a year and I've stopped taking turning work anyway so I have no use for it. I have no desire to fix it, I just want it out of my garage. I have a scrap yard 20 minutes away in MA where I usually take my chips so I've thought about just asking if they'd take it away. Is it even worth stripping it for any components to sell because it seems to me like it would be a pain and it's so old I wouldn't think there's much of a market for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Sean

Worst case hang it on Craig's list for a couple of hundred. It might be repairable and worth much more than that. Thirty year old machines may not be worthless they just won't make money like the newer faster stuff. Good luck.

From what I found on line that is a 10,000 lb. machine so it will take somebody that wants it bad to haul it off. I would first try Craigslist and Ebay. Someone who sees it there might take it for little money if they already have one and want a spare for parts.Otherwise, since the value of steel per pound is so low you might have to torch it into smaller pieces to get a scrapper to take it.

Know the main desire is to have it off the floor, mostly found those duplomatic turrets stuff-up with defective position sensors, although one time, lost 1 phase on the power and it went nuts spinning around endlessly.

Is it the 4 position or rotary turret?

Gun range target or boat anchor.
I am serious about an anchor for a pier or buoy
Bill D

We absorbed a small local Machine shop last summer for the two late model turning centers it had along with the purchase came 2 antique CNC mills one apparently still worked and one need a spindle rebuild . We pulled the Kurt vises off and tooling that was worth keeping the rest I tried to give away, we even had our fork lift on site to load ,No one was interested for free so onto the flat bed they went and off to the scrap yard.

If you were closer I would take it for a retrofit. What controls are on it? I run 2 leadwells with Mitsubishi M0 and L0 controls and am always looking for spare controls for the right price. You could possibly part the controls out to pay for scrapping it.

If I was you. Before scrapping it out, I'd pull all the boards and electric stuff and
stick them in a box.

That box of electrical goodies might save somebody's bacon someday.

What to do with the iron? if you can't get somebody to take it, I have
no idea, I've got a few skeletons out here that I have no idea what to
do with. I'll probably just bury them someday.

I've seen riggers take machines like that for the scrap value, I missed a good parts machine that went that way, and I've seen a Phila rigger take end of life machines for the parts and scrap value. With only one machine and the depressed value of scrap today that might not work today, but I'd call all the potential machinery movers in your area to be sure it wouldn't work before giving up. Selling on Ebay can be a PITA but listing it there for parts is a very good possibility.

Sell the drives, boards and motors. We always take off the electronics and motors from machines that are scrapped. Always amazes me how much the stuff sells for. If it’s Fanuc anyways. And our stuff does sell too. At first I thought it might stay listed on eBay for years. Not in our case. With older machines, those items are worth more then the machine even if it’s working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one out in the yard now with a tarp over it. When I get tired of looking at it or an opportunity presents itself, it will go away- either complete or in pieces.

Back