What's new
What's new

Need Help IDing this tool (what we believe to be a boring cartridge of some sort)

rocketman923

Plastic
We are a relatively new operation, and recently purchased a mass amount of tooling and holding from a closing defense manufacturer. There are a lot of custom parts, and the images of the part attached represent a family of parts we have been unsuccessful in identifying. Perhaps we have been looking in the wrong places, since they are simply labeled as cartridges produced by Kennametal. We have no drawings or order numbers, and the product IDs on the labels turn up nothing. Does anyone know what these could possibly be? Any form of insight would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210420_150825 (1).jpg
    20210420_150825 (1).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 200
  • 20210420_150832 (1).jpg
    20210420_150832 (1).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 151
I once bought a large number of Kennametal specials like that ......never used them ,robbed the inserts ,seats,screws .....everyone buys useful stuff and never uses it.

They are often called boring cartridges. They are very useful in designing and building custom tooling. There was a time I designed dozens of specials using cartridges such as that. Two flute balanced boring heads for a specific diameter sometimes two pairs at slightly different diameters for balance or sometimes multiple cartridges each cutting their own diameter to produce a multiple diameter bore in one pass.

Metcut was another manufacturer.

Those may be shop made from turning tools. Store bought units usually had a counter bored slot for holding, a jack screw for fine diameter adjustment, and a length adjust screw.

Thank you for your insight! We had a feeling it was something similar, but its good to get informed opinions so we don't overlook something obvious. Much appreciated friend

It's just a cartridge. Think of it as a replaceable and adjustable end for a regular toolholder , boring or even milling deals.
Guess it for TN-43 insert. Came in all flavors and inserts.
I used to make them a lot. Some specials and some catalog.
It needs it's mating holder or just about worthless now.
Do so much like the post and trip into the way back machine. In so many variations we made thousands of the these in a year.
Bob

Back