What's new
What's new

OT- Replacement gas spring....is "LIP" manuf. available in the USA ? Otherwise..

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
OT- Replacement gas spring....is "LIP" manuf. available in the USA ? Otherwise..

the configuration is simple welded eyelet ends with 8mm holes, 10" center to center extended, aprox. 3 3/8" travel and 340 N force (76 lbs). Looks identical to some I used to use on our tapping machines...seems like we got them from Suspa somehow. But can't find anything on "LIP" brand....machine it was on was made in Spain. LIP no. is 128.088 340N

Don't see anything close in McMaster Carr. Other sources for gas springs better than the usual automotive type ? Only need one.

CC8188.jpg

I have wondered if those can be recharged. Seems like if you seal it a pressure vessel, think a length of pipe capped at both ends, then pressurize the vessel to say 200PSi or whatever pressure is inside the strut. I would think the seals are lip seals and the over pressure outside would lift the seal and allow the gas into the strut. Same idea as the tennis ball renovators.
Of course the seals were already leaking so I doubt the new pressure will last long.
How are they assembled in the factory. I do not see a fill port. maybe add a few drops of liquid nitrogen then quick seal the endplug or final assembly in a sealed pressure vessel?
Bill D

But can't find anything on "LIP" brand....machine it was on was made in Spain. LIP no. is 128.088 340N
Lip is a trading name of Lipmesa Spain.

I was able to put that through a auto parts interchange reference, to come up with Stabilus, Febi Bilsten and Kilen. Seems they are standard fit in BMW 7 series, and Seat Malaga's 1986 - 93

Nil stock on Ebay States side.

[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]This link specifies your part number 128088 in the item specifics.But its too expensive. [/FONT]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KILEN-314005-GASFEDER-KOFFER-LADERAUM-GASFEDER-MOTORHAUBE-/112212514472?

This one is the cheapest at 9.77 Euros. It cross references the same Stabilus numbers
Gasfeder Koffer-/Laderaum SEAT - Triscan 871 29228 | eBay

Regards Phil.

I have wondered if those can be recharged. Seems like if you seal it a pressure vessel, think a length of pipe capped at both ends, then pressurize the vessel to say 200PSi or whatever pressure is inside the strut. I would think the seals are lip seals and the over pressure outside would lift the seal and allow the gas into the strut.
That's exactly how they are charged, the lips are single acting. You put them in pressure vessel and pressurize the chamber with Nitrogen. I've watched it done on rush orders. The chamber doesn't look much more than a glorified capped pipe with a quick connect at one end for the hose coming off a high pressure Nitrogen reg. The come in different sizes to suit the springs, so you dont waste excess gas.

I don't believe the gas springs can be air freighted. All the local stock down under gets charged at the distributor. You just tell them what force you need.

There's a whole little industry of guys that provide the service out of mobile vans. Used car traders use them to spruce up a saggy tailgate. You might get a few more years out of them if the seals arn't shagged.

Regards. Phil.

This one is the cheapest at 9.77 Euros. It cross references the same Stabilus numbers
Gasfeder Koffer-/Laderaum SEAT - Triscan 871 29228 | eBay
Shipping is a killer though....from Germany it seems....plus I'm a bit spooked by USPS recently loosing a $500 order I made from Germany...first time that has ever happened to me.

Anyhoo, I figured out an alternative from McMaster Carr where I screw on separate eyelets.. and all matches except the eyelet width will have to be milled more narrow on the piston end... for less than 20 bucks plus maybe 4.50 shipping. Probably not a great quality spring but will do for this purpose I think.

Thanks for checking in such detail on that spring though... I may end up needing it anyway if the McMaster one doesn't last.

steel tube for manufacturing gas springs

Precision Welded Tube for Gas springs
Precision Seamless Tube for Gas springs
Specifications:
φ15 x 1.0;φ18 x 1.0 ;φ21 x 1.0;φ22 x 1.0;φ23 x 1.5;φ27 x 1.5;φ28 x 2.0;φ40 x 2.0-3.0mm
Material:Q195-Q235,Q345,SAE1010,SAE1020,SAE1045,#10,#20,#45,304,304L,316,316L
Taian Henson Metal Co Ltd
[email protected]
[email protected]
whatsapp 008613853842286

Yes, LST Gas Springs is a good reliable supplier and manufacturer of Gas springs, we have many years cooperation relationship,we are the premier supplier of precision steel tube for making gas springs in China.
Taian Henson Metal Co Ltd
[email protected]
[email protected]
whatsapp 008613853842286

Back