OT: Researching sporty station wagons/ hatchbacks (or other cool cars) - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not many of them made but there were a few Mopar station wagons built with 426 max wedges for the D/SA drag racing class. The heavier weight of the station wagon allowed them to run in the "D" class. If you find one it will have very few miles as they were trailered to the races instead of driven on the streets. Take off the wheelie bars and change the rear end gears from 4.56 to something like 4.10 or 3.90 and with street tires you will have a "sporty" station wagon. You will also need to blend some AV gas in with your fuel as the 12:1 compression ratio will not like today's gasoline.
    426.jpg
    A thumb nail of a max wedge engine for those that have not seen one.

2. Likes gbent liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've already owned a 2000 BMW and I definitely learned a lot from it, mainly not to get a German car until I have the time, money, space, and knowledge to take care of it. And not to buy one that's in as bad shape as the one I bought.

4. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had been looking into a lot of Volvos before I even posted this thread, and I had also been recommended a few by people here, so I was highly considering one as my next car (likely a V70R, those things are sick). However, I looked up their reputation and it seems like nobody thinks they're very reliable unless you want to pour a lot of money into them. As much as I would like to have something like that, for the time being I need to look into something that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. Not to mention it's hard to find most of those Volvos in good shape and/or with relatively low miles (The V70R I found was listed for almost $11k and had about 130k miles on it).
    Thanks for all your suggestions so far, keep them up! I love reading what everyone has to say, whether it be advice for me or recommendations for cars or whatever else. Like I mentioned, I love cars and I never get tired of talking about them and learning about them.
    I don't really know much about working on cars now as I never really did it as a kid, but I want to learn so I can at the very least fix my own problems with confidence that it's done right. I can fix the occasional minor issue with the help of youtube but I also don't have the space to keep tools or the space to work on it as I live in an apartment for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I HAVE A 1997 FORD AEROSTAR EXTENDED VAN. Heavy duty hitch and electric brake modual.I threw the 2 back seats away. ] have hauled and towed more tonnage than 90% of the for show macho pickups on the road.It has no dents and is still shinny. I bought it 10 years ago for $1600. I do have nice car also. Edwin Dirnbeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by edwin dirnbeck View Post
    have hauled and towed more tonnage than 90% of the for show macho pickups on the road.
    ?? .. that would be a tricky and time consuming subject to survey..

8. Likes SIP6A, motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since we're including vintage models, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Chevy Nomad.

Or, if we're talking heavy duty haulers, how about a Unimog?

10. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got my wife a used Mercedes R350 a couple years ago for $8k with I think 80k miles on it. She's doubled the miles on it taking the kids on road trips. Third row seats, AWD, lots of power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Here you go.

1977 Ford Country Squire LTD | eBay

From back in the day when the standard for station wagons was: If you fold down the rear seats will it fit a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and still be able to close the back door? Also great for towing with a 400 cu in engine.

Steve
    I'll see your Ford, and raise you 55 inches!

Olds Vista Cruiser W30

https://autowise.com/wp-content/uplo...422653514.jpeg
    Last edited by gbent; 07-27-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    The best shooting brake of all time is the Volvo P1800... so good, such good proportions.
    Allow me to split a hair or two, but the Volvo you are referring to is an 1800ES other than that you're spot on.
    Karl

14. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as Volvo wagons, Amazons are very cool. They are rare and expensive now but you never know?

The comments about older Volvo Vs Mercedes wagons is not my experience. The 123/124 Mercedes wagons are far more robust with few major issues. The Volvo's seem to have higher needs. They are all old cars at this point.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have enough time in the day to write everything I hate about Volvo's and ESPECIALLY the V/S models. The fact that an F350 has a better turning radius is a start.

17. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Allow me to split a hair or two, but the Volvo you are referring to is an 1800ES other than that you're spot on.
    Karl
    You are correct... both are great cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Volvo's are great cars...if you teach archaeology at a university, have elbow patches on your coat, have a beard, and smoke a pipe.

The other good use for a Volvo is to refer to them as 'Vulvas' whenever there is a woman (between the ages of 20 and 60) around so you can watch her squirm. The coup de grace? Mention in an offhand manner that you left your windows open by mistake when it rained and now your vulva is very moist inside. There is no woman alive who will be able to not run away.

20. Likes vegard liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves the old Civic Wagon RT4WD. I have 2, and you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

p1000785.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Here you go.
    1977 Ford Country Squire LTD | eBay
    From back in the day when the standard for station wagons was: If you fold down the rear seats will it fit a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and still be able to close the back door? Also great for towing with a 400 cu in engine.
    Steve
    Dang. That was the car I learned to drive on. Well actually the '73 version of it. That car was so big it had an engine telegraph. You rang up full speed ahead. Most amazing feature
    of those wagons was the placement of the power steering pump belts. Gigantic car, had about one turn lock-to-lock on the steering wheel, which means it had a huge power
    assist.

When one drove through a large puddle the PS belt would immediately slip and the wheel would effectively *lock* in your hands. Unless you knew the armstrong method of steering,
    it was possible to drive off the road or into an oncoming lane before things dried off and the power steering came back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1-y3zibsblrvfwspy9hlanpq.jpg

Had to say this to post.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if it fits but...I just bought a new blazer rs. It handles amazingly although it could use a spinny thing or 2...but for 308hp/270 ft/lb it moves pretty well. No tunes or performance parts for it yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves the old Civic Wagon RT4WD. I have 2, and you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

p1000785.jpg

Mine isn't RT its the first gen true 4wd with the solid rear axle... same color though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Karl
    From old memory P1800s had dual Stromberg carbs and P1800es was injected

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Since we're including vintage models, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Chevy Nomad.

Or, if we're talking heavy duty haulers, how about a Unimog?
    I figured because this thread is about ugly cars.

Speaking of, AMC Eagle!!!!