OT retirement
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: OT retirement

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    185

    Default OT retirement

    Well its finally here,43 years and the last 26 were in the maintenance machine shop. No more alarm clock. I liked my job and not being forced out, but it is time to go. Seen a few in the plant go burned out and angry. I don't want that.

    New adventure starts tomorrow, full time in my home shop with some extra fishing days.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    4,374
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1022
    Likes (Received)
    1757

    Default

    Good luck Dave...don't waste a single day, do what you want and don't regret doing nothing, if that's what the day calls for.

    Stuart

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    1615

    Default

    I retired 10 yrs ago ,give or take,bit young some said at 58....enjoyed myself mainly doing nothing,getting up at 9.00am.......Now unfortunately ,Ive got myself into a situation,where I have to do a bit of work like I used to.....and I really hate it.....Some say Im living the dream working the old crane ...maybe for a few hours,not day after day.....and Im also faced with the reality of how mechanically stupid young people are.....it really makes things hard ,when the simplest instruction is blank stare from a millenial.,and I have to do it myself ,or show a dummy five times over ,and he still gets it wrong.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    5,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    212
    Likes (Received)
    2040

    Default

    Welcome to the over-65 crowd. Try to enjoy it, but stay active. I recommend a gym membership. Mine has a pool.

  5. Likes Tom Lg liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Geilenkirchen, Germany
    Posts
    2,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1608
    Likes (Received)
    1498

    Default

    Retirement is fictitious. Usually it is a mistake financially. Governments carry national debts. They can never and will never be paid. These debts are all too real. All governments depend on inflation to minimize these debts. Inflation is backdoor taxation and very necessary to manage these enormous national debts. We work and slave to create savings to allow financial security during "retirement". Often our preparation is inadequate. Consider also that our expenditure is not linear with age. Yes, our housing cost will be reduced along with our clothing and food costs, but our medical costs will escalate with age at an exponential rate where statistics say we will spend the majority of our lifetime medical costs in the last few years of our lives. Considering the erosion that inflation has on the value of our life savings and the financial burden of increasing medical costs, should we really retire?

    We spend our entire working life waking up early in the morning with something to do. When this magical retirement thing comes around with nothing to do or place to go in the morning, the change is traumatic! Do not discount this trauma. It is real and many die because of it. So, it is safe to say that if you retire, you must have a new life with things to do and places to go. Your life depends on it.

    Consider also that if you are not working, you're not making money, but with all the free time your retirement delivers, you have more time for recreation. Recreation is never for free. Do you really thing your life savings will support this extra expense?

    So when retirement strikes, most of us end up working again, not at our old job but something else and usually for much less money. Be a boy scout and be prepared!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    21,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16733
    Likes (Received)
    17433

    Default

    Welcome aboard and bloody well done mate - ya made it, .......enjoy it while ya can, because Lady Luck has a perverse sense of humour and turns on the older with a vengance.

  8. Likes 1yesca, Trueturning liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    9,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1514
    Likes (Received)
    6148

    Default

    Welcome to the club.

    I remember reading an article about a survey one of our large banks had done. It was a survey of bank managers and their retirement ages. Their normal retirement age at that time was 60 but with permission some were allowed to work until 62.

    The survey found the the managers who retired at 60 lived on average until about 78. The guys who retired at 62 averaged 72. So those two extra years made a big difference late in life.

    I got lucky, I was made redundant when I was about 55 and had to leave the trade for an easy life as a technician in a senior school. Looking back I think another 10 years on maintenance and installation of large machine tools would have worn me out completely.

    Regards Tyrone.

  10. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    21,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16733
    Likes (Received)
    17433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Retirement is fictitious. Usually it is a mistake financially. Governments carry national debts. They can never and will never be paid. These debts are all too real. All governments depend on inflation to minimize these debts. Inflation is backdoor taxation and very necessary to manage these enormous national debts. We work and slave to create savings to allow financial security during "retirement". Often our preparation is inadequate. Consider also that our expenditure is not linear with age. Yes, our housing cost will be reduced along with our clothing and food costs, but our medical costs will escalate with age at an exponential rate where statistics say we will spend the majority of our lifetime medical costs in the last few years of our lives. Considering the erosion that inflation has on the value of our life savings and the financial burden of increasing medical costs, should we really retire?

    We spend our entire working life waking up early in the morning with something to do. When this magical retirement thing comes around with nothing to do or place to go in the morning, the change is traumatic! Do not discount this trauma. It is real and many die because of it. So, it is safe to say that if you retire, you must have a new life with things to do and places to go. Your life depends on it.

    Consider also that if you are not working, you're not making money, but with all the free time your retirement delivers, you have more time for recreation. Recreation is never for free. Do you really thing your life savings will support this extra expense?

    So when retirement strikes, most of us end up working again, not at our old job but something else and usually for much less money. Be a boy scout and be prepared!
    What a little bundle of joy you are, have you your own carving knife or would you like to borrow one?
    Last edited by Limy Sami; 06-10-2021 at 11:22 AM. Reason: tix fyop

  12. Likes Mtndew, crossthread, Tom Lg, jjclear, Fabworks and 8 others liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    1615

    Default

    Ive really enjoyed being retired last 13 years.....although now Im over 70 ,age things are starting to take their toll.....I should have got more exercise ,for sure,everyone says get a bicycle ...there are extensive bikeways accessible a short distance from my door.......There was nothing I particularly wanted to do ...the biggest disappointment has been all the guys I was going to hang out with have died in the last few years.........most of these guys worked in one man shops right up to the last few months,then died....a lot from asbestos cancer.

  14. Likes digger doug, Limy Sami liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    282
    Likes (Received)
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Well its finally here,43 years and the last 26 were in the maintenance machine shop. No more alarm clock. I liked my job and not being forced out, but it is time to go. Seen a few in the plant go burned out and angry. I don't want that.

    New adventure starts tomorrow, full time in my home shop with some extra fishing days.

    Dave
    I wish you nothing but tight lines Dave

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default

    Congrats mate. Let's see...I have approximately 30 more years until I can start officially drawing on my nice little pension fund. Thankfully it is a defined benefit plan. Here is to hoping the program is actually solvent by the time I am at that age!

    Enjoy the days

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3469
    Likes (Received)
    2325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    What a litlle bundle of joy you are, have you your own carving knife or would you like to borrow one?
    My thoughts exactly. I'll be he's the life of a party.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3469
    Likes (Received)
    2325

    Default

    Congratulations Dave. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have. I've been retired almost 15 years and haven't regretted it for one second.

    As long as your financial house is in order and you stay active you should be fine.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    420

    Default

    Congratulations! I have 3 years, 5 months and 4 days till I join the party. Not that I am counting.

  20. Likes Rudd, wheelieking71 liked this post
  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    1. Once retired you will never figure how how you had the time to have a job.
    2. It's nice to go to bed after the sun goes down and get up after the sun comes up.
    3. There is always something that needs doing. (even if that something is nothing, as post #2 wisely says)
    4. There will be days that you feel you have to do something, lay on the couch a while and the feeling will pass.
    5. Stay active in something enjoyable.

    Have fun,
    Mr.Smith

  22. Likes Fabworks, mister honey, wheelieking71 liked this post
  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    21,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16733
    Likes (Received)
    17433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I'll be he's the life of a party.
    If he'd have congratulated Winger before his misery strewn political whinge, I'd have more than likely given the guy a like.

    But to plain ignore the OPs big day to have a rant is quite beyond the pale.

  24. Likes Ron Hofer, wheelieking71 liked this post
  25. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    217

    Default

    I've been retired for 5 years now and I'm a happy man. All I can say is working is way overrated.
    Last edited by R. Dan; 06-10-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling

  26. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
  27. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    7,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5969
    Likes (Received)
    6391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Well its finally here,43 years and the last 26 were in the maintenance machine shop. No more alarm clock. I liked my job and not being forced out, but it is time to go. Seen a few in the plant go burned out and angry. I don't want that.

    New adventure starts tomorrow, full time in my home shop with some extra fishing days.

    Dave
    "I spent most of my time fishing. The rest I just wasted."

  28. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    636
    Likes (Received)
    629

    Default

    Wife: What are you doing today ?

    Husband: Nothing.

    Wife: You did that yesterday !

    Husband: Yeah, I didn't finish.

    Enjoy the time where life goes from have to, to want to !!!!

    I know I am.

  29. Likes mister honey, wheelieking71 liked this post
  30. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    8,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1632

    Default

    At some point you will realize the special fancy material or fasteners you have been saving for a special project really should be used. Does my wheel barrow need new bronze tray bolts? No, but I have them and I would have to pay money for galvanized iron instead.
    Are you planning to be buried with a coffee can of polished stainless bolts by your feet saved for a rainy day, just in case, too good to use for this project?
    Bill D


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •