What's new
What's new

OT retirement

winger

Stainless
Well its finally here,43 years and the last 26 were in the maintenance machine shop. No more alarm clock. I liked my job and not being forced out, but it is time to go. Seen a few in the plant go burned out and angry. I don't want that.

New adventure starts tomorrow, full time in my home shop with some extra fishing days.

Dave

Good luck Dave...don't waste a single day, do what you want and don't regret doing nothing, if that's what the day calls for.

Stuart

I retired 10 yrs ago ,give or take,bit young some said at 58....enjoyed myself mainly doing nothing,getting up at 9.00am.......Now unfortunately ,Ive got myself into a situation,where I have to do a bit of work like I used to.....and I really hate it.....Some say Im living the dream working the old crane ...maybe for a few hours,not day after day.....and Im also faced with the reality of how mechanically stupid young people are.....it really makes things hard ,when the simplest instruction is blank stare from a millenial.,and I have to do it myself ,or show a dummy five times over ,and he still gets it wrong.

Retirement is fictitious. Usually it is a mistake financially. Governments carry national debts. They can never and will never be paid. These debts are all too real. All governments depend on inflation to minimize these debts. Inflation is backdoor taxation and very necessary to manage these enormous national debts. We work and slave to create savings to allow financial security during "retirement". Often our preparation is inadequate. Consider also that our expenditure is not linear with age. Yes, our housing cost will be reduced along with our clothing and food costs, but our medical costs will escalate with age at an exponential rate where statistics say we will spend the majority of our lifetime medical costs in the last few years of our lives. Considering the erosion that inflation has on the value of our life savings and the financial burden of increasing medical costs, should we really retire?

We spend our entire working life waking up early in the morning with something to do. When this magical retirement thing comes around with nothing to do or place to go in the morning, the change is traumatic! Do not discount this trauma. It is real and many die because of it. So, it is safe to say that if you retire, you must have a new life with things to do and places to go. Your life depends on it.

Consider also that if you are not working, you're not making money, but with all the free time your retirement delivers, you have more time for recreation. Recreation is never for free. Do you really thing your life savings will support this extra expense?

So when retirement strikes, most of us end up working again, not at our old job but something else and usually for much less money. Be a boy scout and be prepared!

Welcome aboard and bloody well done mate - ya made it, .......enjoy it while ya can, because Lady Luck has a perverse sense of humour and turns on the older with a vengance.

Welcome to the club.

I remember reading an article about a survey one of our large banks had done. It was a survey of bank managers and their retirement ages. Their normal retirement age at that time was 60 but with permission some were allowed to work until 62.

The survey found the the managers who retired at 60 lived on average until about 78. The guys who retired at 62 averaged 72. So those two extra years made a big difference late in life.

I got lucky, I was made redundant when I was about 55 and had to leave the trade for an easy life as a technician in a senior school. Looking back I think another 10 years on maintenance and installation of large machine tools would have worn me out completely.

Regards Tyrone.

Retirement is fictitious. Usually it is a mistake financially. Governments carry national debts. They can never and will never be paid. These debts are all too real. All governments depend on inflation to minimize these debts. Inflation is backdoor taxation and very necessary to manage these enormous national debts. We work and slave to create savings to allow financial security during "retirement". Often our preparation is inadequate. Consider also that our expenditure is not linear with age. Yes, our housing cost will be reduced along with our clothing and food costs, but our medical costs will escalate with age at an exponential rate where statistics say we will spend the majority of our lifetime medical costs in the last few years of our lives. Considering the erosion that inflation has on the value of our life savings and the financial burden of increasing medical costs, should we really retire?

We spend our entire working life waking up early in the morning with something to do. When this magical retirement thing comes around with nothing to do or place to go in the morning, the change is traumatic! Do not discount this trauma. It is real and many die because of it. So, it is safe to say that if you retire, you must have a new life with things to do and places to go. Your life depends on it.

Consider also that if you are not working, you're not making money, but with all the free time your retirement delivers, you have more time for recreation. Recreation is never for free. Do you really thing your life savings will support this extra expense?

So when retirement strikes, most of us end up working again, not at our old job but something else and usually for much less money. Be a boy scout and be prepared!

What a little bundle of joy you are, have you your own carving knife or would you like to borrow one?

Last edited:
Ive really enjoyed being retired last 13 years.....although now Im over 70 ,age things are starting to take their toll.....I should have got more exercise ,for sure,everyone says get a bicycle ...there are extensive bikeways accessible a short distance from my door.......There was nothing I particularly wanted to do ...the biggest disappointment has been all the guys I was going to hang out with have died in the last few years.........most of these guys worked in one man shops right up to the last few months,then died....a lot from asbestos cancer.

Well its finally here,43 years and the last 26 were in the maintenance machine shop. No more alarm clock. I liked my job and not being forced out, but it is time to go. Seen a few in the plant go burned out and angry. I don't want that.

New adventure starts tomorrow, full time in my home shop with some extra fishing days.

Dave

I wish you nothing but tight lines Dave

Congrats mate. Let's see...I have approximately 30 more years until I can start officially drawing on my nice little pension fund. Thankfully it is a defined benefit plan. Here is to hoping the program is actually solvent by the time I am at that age!

Enjoy the days

Congratulations Dave. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have. I've been retired almost 15 years and haven't regretted it for one second.

As long as your financial house is in order and you stay active you should be fine.

1. Once retired you will never figure how how you had the time to have a job.
2. It's nice to go to bed after the sun goes down and get up after the sun comes up.
3. There is always something that needs doing. (even if that something is nothing, as post #2 wisely says)
4. There will be days that you feel you have to do something, lay on the couch a while and the feeling will pass.
5. Stay active in something enjoyable.

Have fun,
Mr.Smith

My thoughts exactly. I'll be he's the life of a party.

If he'd have congratulated Winger before his misery strewn political whinge, I'd have more than likely given the guy a like.

But to plain ignore the OPs big day to have a rant is quite beyond the pale.

I've been retired for 5 years now and I'm a happy man. All I can say is working is way overrated.

Last edited:

Dave

"I spent most of my time fishing. The rest I just wasted."

Wife: What are you doing today ?

Husband: Nothing.

Wife: You did that yesterday !

Husband: Yeah, I didn't finish.

Enjoy the time where life goes from have to, to want to !!!!

I know I am.

At some point you will realize the special fancy material or fasteners you have been saving for a special project really should be used. Does my wheel barrow need new bronze tray bolts? No, but I have them and I would have to pay money for galvanized iron instead.
Are you planning to be buried with a coffee can of polished stainless bolts by your feet saved for a rainy day, just in case, too good to use for this project?
Bill D

Back