Thread: OT retirement

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Financially, this is not a mistake. I'll be making as much retired as working.
    If I get bored, aside from my own shop, a friend has a fab/machine shop and has invited me anytime I want. I don't have to make money with the shop either, just help out friends and neighbors.
    Not having to work and follow someone else's schedule is big. I'm a Lion and this is volunteer season too.
    If things turn, I still have skills. One of the reasons I went to night school, was when the plant got slow and I got layed off for a few months, I realized I did not have a marketable skill at the time.

I'm already looking at the shelves with a realistic eye if I will ever use the scrap. Salvaging is a tough habit to break.

Thanks for the comments.

now hobby machinist, Dave

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only thing I miss about working is the ready supply of consumables ...my last boss had something like 1000tons of useful stuff taking up space in the factory yard,and I was never short of bits of steel ,or bolts and nuts ....Funny thing is right to the end ,the old guy treated all the stuff as his own personal property,wouldnt let me touch anything for work projects (did of course)....I used to call it all "Cols Collectables"....When I applied for the job,at the interview I knew him straight away as the guy with the straw hat and floral shirt from the auctions.....I never missed a government auction,and he was usually there .....And when I toured the plant with the foreman,I was able to identify the sheds full of stuff that came from this or that auction.......The new owners of the business tossed out all the duplicates of important production plant ,stuff there was no spares for......idiot executives...It was all going to be replaced with new.....well that didnt happen.

3. Likes 1yesca, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    If he'd have congratulated Winger before his misery strewn political whinge, I'd have more than likely given the guy a like.

But to plain ignore the OPs big day to have a rant is quite beyond the pale.
    You are correct Limy. I should have congratulated Winger first. It was not my intention to rain on his parade and I do wish him luck as well as yourself. My statement however was not political, it is reality. All political parties are responsible for this dilemma. The world is changing and not for the best. I live in these retirement shoes and it sucks. I thought I was prepared well......I was not. I'm still OK, but my quality of life has definitely been reduced.

Some of you may realize that at the point of retirement, you transition from being a society asset to a society liability. This change is subtle, but never-the-less real!

5. Likes Limy Sami, ratbldr427, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Some of you may realize that at the point of retirement, you transition from being a society asset to a society liability. This change is subtle, but never-the-less real!
    No probs here, man. I've been a liability from the start.

PDW

7. Likes Greg White, 1yesca, neilho liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont call myself a liability...Ive certainly gone thru life allowing those who were of a mind to fund my enjoyment the opportunity to do so.....The last job was my favourite...it was me against the "golden ones"..and I had all the advantages ...just like the creature from the black lagoon...the millenials didnt know what hit them....Simple fact is there is so much education now ,anyone who leaves school at 16 is a real dummy,and has monkey level IQ......One time ,there were just as many geniuses who had no education as dummys..not now.Its quite simply impossible to find a young "Jack of all trades"and problem solver,they no longer exist....anyone smart will have some kind of degree and be working in an office.

9. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are correct Limy. I should have congratulated Winger first. It was not my intention to rain on his parade and I do wish him luck as well as yourself. My statement however was not political, it is reality. All political parties are responsible for this dilemma. The world is changing and not for the best. I live in these retirement shoes and it sucks. I thought I was prepared well......I was not. I'm still OK, but my quality of life has definitely been reduced.

Fair comment and no milk spilt ........I'm off to ogle the little blonde at the corner store - as every dirty old man should

11. Likes PDW, crazygoat liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont forget your sunglasses!...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I dont call myself a liability...Ive certainly gone thru life allowing those who were of a mind to fund my enjoyment the opportunity to do so.....The last job was my favourite...it was me against the "golden ones"..and I had all the advantages ...just like the creature from the black lagoon...the millenials didnt know what hit them....Simple fact is there is so much education now ,anyone who leaves school at 16 is a real dummy,and has monkey level IQ......One time ,there were just as many geniuses who had no education as dummys..not now.Its quite simply impossible to find a young "Jack of all trades"and problem solver,they no longer exist....anyone smart will have some kind of degree and be working in an office.
    John, your assessment of graduate knowledge level is not correct. University graduates today have no more knowledge than I had after high school, if as much. Maybe in some cases, that may not be so, but it is true for the vast majority. You are correct about there mot being available well rounded people as "Jack of all Trades". They are indeed scarce and it is getting worse. Interestingly, there are high school graduate exams on the web from 80 to 100 yrs. ago. Look them up. They represent the level of knowledge of high school graduates then. Compare those to today. Be prepared to be astonished and it is a shame. In our day we could reasonably expect to retire in our chosen career field. That's not the case today. Technology is changing so fast that training in the basic sciences is necessary to prevent turning into a dinosaur by the age of 45.

I would also like to point out that IQ is not the same as stored knowledge. IQ represents one's ability to learn and store knowledge, not the amount currently stored. Believe me I have met several geniuses that couldn't cross a street without a guide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a relative who made almost $100M by buying and selling mineral rights. He was a very, very hard worker. He retired at 52 over 10 years ago, and spends his time doing whatever he wants. So, some people do in fact retire. Of course, the fact that he owns no machine tools, woodworking tools, and has no highly flexible 22 year old housekeeper means he has wasted his life. But he seems content with his lot, still.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Asked what he was going to do when he retired at the age of 62, the ever quotable Bum Phillips, coach of the Houston Oilers, replied "Nothin', and I don't start doing that until noon."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I retired 10 yrs ago ,give or take,bit young some said at 58....enjoyed myself mainly doing nothing,getting up at 9.00am.......Now unfortunately ,Ive got myself into a situation,where I have to do a bit of work like I used to.....and I really hate it.....Some say Im living the dream working the old crane ...maybe for a few hours,not day after day.....and Im also faced with the reality of how mechanically stupid young people are.....it really makes things hard ,when the simplest instruction is blank stare from a millenial.,and I have to do it myself ,or show a dummy five times over ,and he still gets it wrong.
    well just think about the music they adsorb for the most part it just keeps repeating itself like a jack hammer braking up a block thick as a brick so ya you have to say it ten times so it can sink in

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahhh retirement, congratulations. Been four years for me but I left early at 57, busier now than ever.

"Retirement is where every day is Saturday and on Sunday you don't havta think about going to work on Monday."
    Last edited by Terry Keeley; 06-11-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Fair comment and no milk spilt ........I'm off to ogle the little blonde at the corner store - as every dirty old man should
    Yeah there is a 'young' not a girl, woman that I see almost every morning at the Wawa store. She has the sexiest walk I have ever seen. A joy coming and going!

19. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got 25 more years until 65...I've got a ways to go before I even begin thinking about it.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i didnt think I d ever retire.Ran small shops for 40 years,up to five employees ,basically I had to close when the mining boom hit....all my guys quit for $3000 a week wages in the mines....No way I could match that.....and after 40 years I got a job....Her indoors said "You aint staying home all day..I couldnt stand it... get a job or start another business....you aint staying home of a day"...so I got a job. ......Straight away ,I knew 10 times more that any of the other guys,and it was a breeze.....When you got a job,you dont have to do something just because the boss says so....you do what you like....its really great ....I loved that job...wished it could have gone on forever ...I had my own bogie truck with a crane, pickup,fuel ,oil ,own orderbook......that was the first thing the new owners took....all purchases had to be approved by the manager ,then no more fuel ,I had to use a fuelcard.......then ..no more me..I quit on minimum notice...and was retired.....then they wanted me wanted me to come back and train "a young qualified mechanic"....I said OK,teaching costs $100/hr ....that was it ...I went back once when a compressor started squeaking...they copped the $100/hr,but expected me to wave a magic wand,and fix it on the spot....bearing set was $10k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I've got 25 more years until 65...I've got a ways to go before I even begin thinking about it.
    Take a tip - start preparing (as in saving etc etc) for it, apart from pensdions and the like - any spare cash (yeah I know it's a joke - and a sick one) but any cash or shall we say ''valuables'' you have no immediate call on - stash, ...............in lots of different places!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider also that if you are not working, you're not making money, but with all the free time your retirement delivers, you have more time for recreation. Recreation is never for free. Do you really thing your life savings will support this extra expense?
    This can be a problem for those who don't know how to save or do math. I've done both for 30 years so retirement works just fine for me. You should keep working.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the body begins to get worn out and not bouncing back then it can become very obvious. Many thought they would just keep working but for bad back,shoulder,knees,heart,Cancer, and any number of things. If anything it should be pointed out that before that time arrives do the very best to advance and save. Do not stay where there is littles advancement opportunity.

After time passes by it can never be regained. That goes for work, love, parenting, and Grandchildren. It may very well be that hobbies are too expensive and in that case the reality dictates what we are able to enjoy. Personally I enjoy the difference and can see where along the way I could have had much more fun if I had allowed myself to enjoy the journey more.

Anyone can find things of that category in life and that time has passed and so today is when we have to set a better path using what we have the best way that we can.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the saddest thing I see is someone has to live in an apartment and cant have any collectables bigger than a postage stamp.I couldnt live like that.....They say ....we re going to an apartment,all my stuff is for sale ...why?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the saddest thing I see is someone has to live in an apartment and cant have any collectables bigger than a postage stamp.I couldnt live like that.....They say ....we re going to an apartment,all my stuff is for sale ...why?
    I think it could be the case that retirement is there and adjustments need to be made to cover expenses. In regard to having for example equity in a home it can be the case that someone may need to capture the equity by selling the home and most likely will switch to a apartment rather than begin with a new home. Apartments even now are reasonable in many cases unless they require income of three times the rent to qualify like so many places. Someone on SS retirement income is not likely able to pull that off so even getting a apartment now a days can be tough unless more than one person shares it. Little storage space for even minimal things kept from life is extremely limited. They also could be renting out the house to keep making the payments and also to have extra money. Usually if you talk to someone and they will tell you about why it can make sense given their situation.