What's new
What's new

OT - Are the Rockies passable during January?

GregSY

Diamond
Looking at a drive to Portland from Houston next month, F250 RWD truck pulling a 8000lbs. loaded trailer. I've never driven through the Rockies in the cold before...so my question is, are the highways kept in passable condition? Or would I be asking for trouble? The truck is not 4WD nor does it have a limited slip rear so it's not a great poor weather vehicle re: traction.

I tried the same thing a little over a half dozen years ago on a Virginia to California trip and had to turn around and back track to Denver and head south on 25 through New Mexico and take I-40. Remember there are a lot of people that don't know how to drive in bad weather, they are more of a hazard than the road conditions.

We take I-70 across every January. Usually in a van, sometimes in a pick up. You have to watch the weather very carefully, if you do that you will be fine. It can snow a lot and the freeway could close down. But the sun shines a lot at that altitude and roads dry off and are fine. You just don't ever want to get caught WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY SNOWING. Be careful, make sure you have good tires, and watch the weather report.

Yeah, caution is very warranted. The mountains are getting pounded this year, 70 has been closed more than a few times already this season. Be aware of the chain laws and keep a really close eye on the weather forecast. A word of note - don’t look at forecasts for Denver, look up the forecasts for Vail or Georgetown as they will be more accurate for mountain travel.

They work hard to keep the highway open and in good shape, but no one can keep up with Mother Nature. Also, avoid weekends. Ski travel makes it way worse.

Ski travel makes it way worse.

Many decades ago I lived in the Southern California mountains and used to cut firewood in the higher elevations around Big Bear. There were no bigger road hazards than skiers on the road in poor winter conditions. We use to be quite amused by people that would put chains on the rear wheels of front wheel drive cars.

I've never driven through the Rockies in the cold before...

As others mentioned, exercise caution. The quote above is my first bit of concern. Not being mean here. However, you mentioned that you live in Portland....if you have done Cabbage Hill a number of times in a snowstorm with a trailer -- you will be *just fine*. As others have mentioned, carry chains, stay cautious, watch the weather and ensure that your tires have plenty of tread (and are all season). A tire that is worn down close to the spec where the DOT requires you to change it is hard to control in snow.

With 8000lbs of a loaded trailer, I would recommend booking extra time in your trip so that you can avoid driving when it's actively snowing. Just a suggestion.

Don't get hung up on "I have to go this day", or "I have to take this road". You could take i-70 or i-80 or i-90. You have to become a student of the weather, and be prepared to say "no, this isn't the week to go".

Thousands of trucks make that trip every day.

i-70 has the highest elevation. If you are doing that in a gas engine pickup, it will have its tongue hanging out before you even get to Eisenhower tunnel. Altitude sensitive loads have to take I10. Low power non turbo vehicles should as well.

Going by your description of truck and that you're towing, I'd stay South as much as reasonable, and avoid mountains/snow. Take the extra time and miles, you'll be happier and safer in the end.

Thanks all. I'll probably chicken out and use a transport company. The sad fact is...there's little cost savings once the cost of fuel and wear/tear on the truck comes in to play. For the record, I live in Houston but would be dragging a car there, then picking up another one in Sacramento on the way back.

As for a gas engine being taxed, it's a V10 Ford so I'd be surprised but my experience is zero....

I waited till the 9,000 foot level in a snowstorm to chicken out towing going through the Rockies. I figured back tracking cost me 300 miles. I had a rude awakening towing 7500 pounds or so with a small gasoline V-8 Chevy Tahoe. In hilly areas my unloaded highway mileage of 17-19 MPG dropped to as low as 7 MPG towing. My Tahoe had a factory defect that I finally fixed where the gauges would malfunction and sometimes the gas gauge would read 1/2 or 3/4 tank right after I filled up. I knew towing would kill the mileage but never as bad as it did. First time I towed a heavy load I thought the gas gauge hitting "E" so fast was full of crap and I ran out of gas. Fortunately I had two full 5 gallon cans of gas strapped to my trailer.

Traffic cameras are your friend.

Exactly. The Colorado DOT has cameras on the freeways which you can access through their website so you see what is happening real time. Much more useful than the weather forecasts which seem to always say "chance of snow". No shit. It's winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learn something every day, always assumed it was kept open year round.

I wonder if a railroad could offer a trailer train set-up for the cars & trucks.

This time of year your best odds at avoiding snow is the I-10 route, I-40 is more of a maybe (but my preferred route), Flagstaff is almost a guaranteed snow area but you get thru quickly. I-80 across Nevada can get sketchy this time of year, and the Donner Pass frequently gets shut down to those with snow chains and 4wd only. If you watch the weather and time it right, you can probably make the trip without driving thru snow.

Couple years ago it started snowing heavy one night, cars and trucks south of town had to come to a stop, next morning emergency crews had to rescue drivers by digging them out of 6' snow, 2 days later they were able to drive the cars out. Standard rule here for winter driving is always carry some food, water, blankets and some tea light candles, the candles will provide enough warmth inside a vehicle to keep you from freezing, just make sure to crack a window so you don't die from CO poisoning. And idling a vehicle buried in snow WILL kill you.

Plenty of troopers to watch the roads...so much/most of the time travel is safe.. chain laws can go into effect .. good to have 2 or 4 set of chains on board, for chains only times..roads can be close so not out of reason to expect an overnighter.

*Never / ever take a short cut you find on a map.

QT:[ The truck is not 4WD ) there can be times 4WD and 4 chains only can pass..but not that often..

Watch out for low octane gas.. use what your truck requires..Met a girl going east on 70 and her car would not make the grades.. she had accidentally bought some low octane gas.

I used to make Michigan to LA often with Chevy 4WD gas pick up pulling a big closed trailer and never had much problem.

Perhaps worst time was on south route (40) hitting Ice around Albuquerque..

south route perhaps 400 miles longer but worth it if you run into big snow.

I would choose I90 over I80 getting to Portland, but if snow is your main concern a southern route may be more to your liking. No guarantee you won’t have heavy snow up I5 in N. Cal and all through Oregan in January though, it happens. Safe travels.

Back