What's new
What's new

OT San Antonio, TX-Things to do/see

gbent

Diamond
I've got a couple of days to kill here in San Antonio, Tx. I came down a couple of days early so I would miss the storm and have today and most of tomorrow. Are there any things to see or visit of interest, especially along the industrial/metalworking lines?

Alamo - if your interest lies in rough and tumble Texas history.

San Antonio, place of my birth on a snowy January day 71 years ago, has never been much of an industrial town.

J.O.

About an hour NW of San Antonio is a little town of Fredericksburg. There is some kind of
Naval Museum there. We got there too late for a tour.
Old Bill

the-alamo-san-antonio-tx104.jpg

There was quite a lot of "metalwork" there, for a few days.
And production, they built a nation, for a few years.

Been there many times when it was nearly empty, quiet, and felt surrounded by ghosts. Like being in a old empty shop, where everyone has passed.

The river walk which is near the Alamo is nice in the summer, don't know bout this time of year. There is a humungous mexican flea market near there also. If the weather is nicer on your way home there is a nice national park called round rock.
Also just outside of Kerrville TX there is the largest free roaming game ranch in the U.S. called the Y O ranch. All kinds of exotic animals wanderin' 'round

You got some nice caves you can tour just up IH-35. There are several old missions there, along with the Alamo. The Riverwalk isn't too great this time of year, but I gar-on-tee there's some GOOD Mexican food and I can't think of anything better on a cold day.

You could come see me!:D just South East of there 100 miles! Just kidding.

Go out there by SouthWest Reasearch Instuitude and watch the C-5's come in in the afternoon from their travel abroad. You used to be able to drive through SWRI, but I don't know if you still can.
If you have kids, and close to summer, you have Sea World and Fiesta Texas amusment parks.
Riverwalk downtown. Go buy Alamo Iron Works, like going to Grainger but bigger!
Used to be a small railroad musem up on the east side of the airport, don't know if it is still there.

As for any machining industry, there is very little in SA.

Ken

Oops, you can't come visit me, I'm up here in Denton, just North of FtWorth stranded in the snow!

Last edited:
Yeah the river walks great, loads of very very good eating too :-) Caves are good too. Unfortunately the rest of my family are not as machine orientated hence we never went looking for museums. Sea world and fiesta Texas were good too, but then i was a teenager last time i was there, 10+ years ago. Do hope to return some day though.

Luckily we arrived Monday night, so we got to see the riverwalk at 70F. Very nice, it would have been great to have had a hotel there and finish the night along the river. The Alamo was virtually abandoned this morning with all the natives complaining about the snow in the forecast (which they claimed hasn't been seen in San Antonio in 10 years). This afternoon we drove down to Corpus Christi to tour the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. I got there late enough I didn't get to see all the exhibits but it was great.

The machine shop area was still largely intact. There was what appeared to be an original Lodge and Shipley, about 24 swing and 78 C-C. There were 3 other large lathes, probably dating to the 1970's or 1980's. The 3 were equipped with Analam or Accurite DRO's. I could see the corner of a '40s horizontal universal #1 with a swivel vertical head, probably a B&S. There was also a newer horizontal, also equipped with a DRO. There was about a 3' 9" Morris radial arm drill and a power hack saw.

Some food stops in San Antonio:

Paesanos. Order the Shrimp Paesano(http://www.paesanos.com/Customer_Stories.php) at the Basse Road location(above the Quarry Mall). This location is better than the other 3. Do not go to the one on the River Walk.
Link: Italian Restaurant | Private Dining | Banquet Facilities | Catering

Chinese Food at Hung Fongs on Broadway across from the Witte Museum on Broadway.
Oldest chinese restaurant in San Antonio(1928?). Cheap prices. Great food. Great old neon flag of the usa installed on the ceiling with only 48 stars(current at the time)
Beef egg foo young. Combination fried rice. Sweet & sour chicken.
Link:
Hung Fong Chinese Restaurant - Google Maps

Sea Island Shrimp House.
Rector street location. Behind North Star Mall. Cheap prices. good quality. Lemon pepper fish. link:
Sea Island Shrimp House - San Antonio, TX

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen. Order the Shrimp & Crawfish Fondeaux. More than enough for a meal by itself. A little red wine. perfect.
2nd choice. A meal to split with the wife: Pontchartrain Pan-Broiled Fillet.
Link:
http://pappaspizza.net/images/dyn/menus/menu_35.pdf

Pappadeaux (San Antonio) 76 North East Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78216
(210) 340-7143

Last. Mi Tierra Cafe. Downtown for brunch. or later and just have a beer. open 24 hours a day.
A little touristy but still fun. A little hard to find. You will drive right past it. Just find a parking spot and ask directions. Lots of one way streets to confuse. Maybe visit the Spanish Governor's palace that is close.
Link:
http://www.mitierracafe.com/default.html#

Go to Austin. The capital is interesting and there is a Texas State Museum and the Univ. of Texas campus is a really nice place to look over with a couple museums that are first class. Lots of very classy restaurants.

Back