What's new
What's new

OT SCAG Turf Runner gearbox rebuild .

Tony Quiring

Titanium
Has anyone attempted to replace bearings in the gearbox for mower deck?

They have a 1 inch spline shaft with bearings and gear pressed on.

Shaft is same diameter end to end so press fit is it.

May be a key for gear.

Thinking about grinding away what is left of bearings race but wanting to see if anyone else has done this already.

Manual shows as assembly while other things it shows total breakdown.

Suspect heated female parts and frozen shaft.

Seal gave up so top bearings ran dry and gave out.

Have old unit but want to fix this one someday maybe.

No photo today but can supply later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Carefully run a bead of weld across the race and it should fall off. Then re evaluate the shaft for rebuild. Use a bearing heater to replace bearings.

Carefully run a bead of weld across the race and it should fall off. Then re evaluate the shaft for rebuild. Use a bearing heater to replace bearings.

I presume you do this with enough heat to get it red hot but not burn through and run along the periphery?

Was able to finish...

We got a copy of the manufacturer of the gearbox manual and these are serviceable.

Mower manufacturer directs to dealers who do not have any press.

By serial number the original is newer than the bad one and it was leaking oil if we recall.

We got new seals and locktight 515 to refresh the original set and can work on the other one "in our spare time".

What is a bearing heated?

We have a very large soldering iron where the small tip is about 1 inch OD so that could maybe do the trick combined with freezing the shaft.

Likely will order "bearing and seal kit" from manufacturer to avoid hassle of getting exact unit.

May try to see if they will swap them if price right but that is another day.

Thanks for the ideas...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back