OT, Sciatica - Is there a cure ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My experience with stuff like that is that it is either due to bad posture or an injury that damages a disk.

In any case step 1 is determine whether a disk is herniated by an MRI. If a disk is herniated, then there will be pain unless the disk is fixed.

If there is no obvious herniation and the pain is syndromic, then it is 99% a posture issue.

keithmech Guest

thank you Dr.jscpm.
    Last edited by keithmech; 03-12-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: capital D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A thing I didn't see others mention is your wallet.
    I had some trouble as well, and my girlfriend noticed that my wallet was
    on my right butt cheek when we were driving in the car. I haven't had any symptoms after
    putting my wallet in my jacket. Maybe something to consider?

4. Likes hermetic, oldster, Long Tom liked this post
    Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A damn good spinal surgeon is your only hope. I had a spinal fusion done by Dr. Manuel Pinto in Minneapolis in 1992. Comletely cured me of this complaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think that there is just one answer. My surgeon tried everything for over a year before deciding on surgery. He was quite blunt about the possibilities of success, saying it might be better, worse or no change. But I had it done and I'm satisfied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back.jpg  

7. Likes oldster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While looking in to all the suggestions above, I would add that you should make sure your car is not contributing. I have had a couple of cars that, while the seats seemed pretty comfortable, were killers on sciatica. My wife too had a Honda that she liked dearly but that was doing in her back. She got a different car and her sciatica improved dramatically. We shop now as much for seats as for other things. Crappy reliability may be, but a Jeep is cheaper to fix than a back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good point. My wife had a Honda and I could hardly ride in it. No problem in the Saab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on not having your wallet in your back pocket when you sit, it twists the spinal column. I have sciatica rarely now, and noticed a distinct improvement when I stopped putting my wallet in my back pocket, and also when I stopped repairing cars for a living! Hope you are soon better Tyrone!
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by slnielsen View Post
    A thing I didn't see others mention is your wallet.
    I had some trouble as well, and my girlfriend noticed that my wallet was
    on my right butt cheek when we were driving in the car. I haven't had any symptoms after
    putting my wallet in my jacket. Maybe something to consider?
    exactly the reason why i have carried it in my jacket for the last ten years

12. Likes MARVINGARDENS, slnielsen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suffer badly from this issue. I believe the course needed to provide relief depends on what the cause is. I have been the PT route, swim therapy, acupuncture, shoe shims, moving my wallet, and inversion therapy. I laughed when they said they were sending me to an acupuncturist but it does provide excellent but temporary pain relief. At the suggestion of my physical rehab doctor, I float in my pool with "noodles" under my arms with my legs dangling. This provides good, albeit seasonal, relief for a few days.

My last MRI shows that I have three herniated discs pressing on my sciatic nerve. I have shopped for a back surgeon with a good reputation and have consulted with two. I worked at an agency with about 1,000 sworn officers so I have plenty of folks with back injuries to get opinions from. I have also discovered that your UPS driver is also an excellent source for orthopedic surgeon recommendations. Even if your driver hasn't had orthopedic surgery, I can almost guarantee he has co-workers who have. Mine has steered me to a facility where I am going to get my shoulders, writs, and knee done. I am going with a back surgeon who has done several of my former co-workers. All had issues like mine and report great results. Nothing is certain but I have been told that a minimally invasive procedure will likely result in immediate relief from pain.

Good luck.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also had the pinched nerve at the L5-S1 vertebrae. Here's what I learned.

1) A diagnostic based on an X-ray is not as good as one based on an MRI. An X-ray may show narrowing of the passages where the nerves are. With an MRI the Dr can be sure that there is impingement.

MY problem was a 10mm bulge in the disk and stenosis.

2) The physical therapy varies based on where and how the nerve is damaged. In my case, bending forward would make it worse. Bending back slightly helped.

3) There are many ways to handle a pinched nerve.

In my case, a micro discectomy did the trick. That's trimming the disk and carving a small amount of bone from the vertebrae. Zero pain from that day on. Very quick recovery.

A cortisone injection can reduce inflammation of the nerve, essentially shrinking it so that it fits.

Posture and exercise can reduce the symptoms a LOT.

4) If you are on blood thinners or any other anti clot therapy, the surgeons will be very reluctant to do anything other than physical therapy. A spinal cord bleed from any of the invasive techniques can leave you crippled. Even the cortisone shot may cause bleeding. In my case, I had to quit Plavix and aspirin for 10 days before the procedure.

5) Do NOT let it go untreated. Nerves do not always repair themselves. Years of damage may leave numbness or phantom pain.

Good luck!

Dan

15. Likes tdmidget liked this post