What's new
What's new

OT: Screw on spout for metal 1 gallon solvent can

Spud

Diamond
I've been buying Acetone and Thinner in the metal 1 gallon rectangular cans.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Acetone-GAC18/100141096

Pouring a little bit at a time into a smaller container creates a mess and waste. Yes I've tried with the opening on top and have also tried with a small container as close to the opening as possible.

* Looking for a spout that screws onto the metal threaded opening. I tried my local Ace and big box hardware stores.

The only thing I could find online is a Coleman Gas can spout for their 1 gallon metal gas cans. Does anyone know if the Coleman spout will work ?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-3000000928-Fuel-Filler/21945334

Surprised there aren't more options out there

Not fireproof!

OSHA craps all over stuff like that in factories, that's why you don't seen anything else. That's in 29CFR 1910 and 1926. Then there's NFPA, EPA, and even ATF.

That spout would probably work on mineral spirits (thinner), but not with acetone or lacquer thinner.
JR

The link is to a group of spouts sold by PPG. The DOX339 fits the Kleen Strip gallon cans of solvents. It also fits some quart cans. The material seems to be polypropylene. Anyway, it's intended for all sorts of automotive refinishing solvents and reducers.

I love them. They come as a "squirt" spout, but you can trim the end back to get about a .25" orifice. They only cost about $2.50 each.

I had searched (Googled) my ass off and found the Coleman you show, but nothing else of interest. The idea was added to my project list. I stumbled on the PPG product in a store specializing in automotive refinishing.

Dedoes

Remove gallon can cap. Drill appropriate sized hole in cap. Soft solder short length of 3/8" copper tubing in hole. Replace cap. Pour.............Bob

Just turn the can around so the spout is the highest point on the can as you pour, no drips, I am amazed everyone does not know this!

This works, unless you just need to pour an ounce or so; or into a small-mouthed jar. I like the idea about modding one of the steel caps with a nozzle for dispensing small amounts, remove for large pours.

The OP stated he tried this. As long as the opening is past horizontal. The steeper the angle the better. For a full can this method barely works.

I do it all the time, WD40, lacquer thinner whatever, I do it all the time. full can or not, I can do it without spilling a drop. No I don't walk on water.

They used to sell a spout that looked like this except it had a smaller cap to fit the old style Eagle gas cans. It would also fit the cap neck on quart cans. The only gallon can I have on hand right now is enamel reducer with the pull up plastic spout so I can't compare sizes.

1 Blitz Military Army Surplus Flexible Pouring Spout Nozzle M38 New Fit 5 Gallon | eBay

One thing you might try if the neck is the same size as a quart can is to buy a metal pour spout for a one pound black powder can. The cap necks are the same size as quart cans. It isn't very long but it's better than just the open neck.

Powder can cap with metal spout, fits metal GOEx cans - Track of the Wolf
[

Syringe

For getting small quantities out of a large can I will sometimes use a syringe like the one sold for 2 stroke oil measuring. Just add a hose to the syringe and suck out what is needed.

We use one gallon metal cans of acetone in our machine shop. Pouring without spilling was always a problem, so we designed a plastic snap-on pouring spout. One of our customers had the same problem so we designed another one to fit his can. Both pour spouts are available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWR45UBNXw[/url

3 year old post, dredged up by a spammer....

Do you really understand how badly your single post has damaged your companies
reputation ?

I hate to contribute to the spammed necro-thread, but I just have to note that all of the previous answers, including the spammo, are missing the obvious and easy solution.

For small amounts, just tip it into your mouth, then release it into the smaller container. Done!

Yeah, yeah, some of you will complain about acetone or such in your mouth ... wimps.

:D

I hate to contribute to the spammed necro-thread, but I just have to note that all of the previous answers, including the spammo, are missing the obvious and easy solution.

For small amounts, just tip it into your mouth, then release it into the smaller container. Done!

Yeah, yeah, some of you will complain about acetone or such in your mouth ... wimps.

:D
that and a bic lighter and you've got your own side show :D

Back