What's new
What's new

OT - Security Systems

blake in spokane

Hot Rolled
What is the best, simplest, money wise, security system for a home, garage, out buildings, ect. A shotgun doesn't work if I'm not around. I have heard of cop cam, ring and some others.

What is the best, simplest, money wise, security system for a home, garage, out buildings, ect. A shotgun doesn't work if I'm not around. I have heard of cop cam, ring and some others.

"Best, simplest" is more than one "ring" or zone of motion-activated lights kept in full working order, and with the obvious expectation there is a HIGH probability they are monitored and responded to if tripped of tampered with.

PA / loudspeaker and MORE lights can be safer than shotguns, whether on-site or remote.

The idea is to cause risk-averse thieves to go after some lower-risk target. My course instructor literally "wrote the book" on that:

Robert R. Rosberg (Author of Game of Thieves)

Cruel to those other targets, perhaps, but more effective than being attractive to thieves, then trying to catch them, prosecute them, or have to deal with them in any manner at all.

Motion activated internet connected cameras with speakers and security lights. My brother has his entire gym covered by $50 net cameras, he can check them from his phone and get's alert messages if one of them detects something. And he can activate the speaker and yell at the kids if they're doing something stupid. It all run by a cheap used server with Blue Iris (the Linux version I think) on it.

I would start with motion activated lights. It has to be unnerving to suddenly have a light come on in your face.

Then add cameras and door and window alarms. If you really have problems, consider a monitored system. The company will have a lot of advise that will be pertinent to your area.

A realistic barking dog noise hooked up to a motion sensor works OK too,with opportunist thieves........just be economical on the barking...if your setup is way out in the sticks ,I know that a super loud noise will also work.....but the second time they come with earplugs.All the monitored systems cost megabucks for a false alarm,even phone alerts cost something,and you have to be able to attend.

a body shop next to a liquor store in a low rent area has problem with vagrant drunks pissing though his fence or taking a dump there. he has cameras/motion sensors and train horns.
YouTube

Back