What's new
What's new

OT, shop floor costs

Mebfab

Diamond
Building a 36x80 shop. Putting down 6" concrete floor. 10" deep, 24" wide footing. Block wall, 7 course on half, 4 course other half. Bond bridge all the way around. Rebar in footing, vertical to bond bridge, rebar in bond bridge. Fill all block with concrete. Wire and plastic barrier under floor.

$26k plus material. This sound right?

I think you should consider putting pex tube in the floor. It is cheap and easy to do and so nice for heat. In your area some insulation in the ground may be needed, either under or around or both.

Price wise it seems cheaper than what I would expect to pay out here.

no knowledge about wall structure but for a "floor" comparison:

75x50 6" deep 24x24 footers, footers under 2 lifts (6 footers don't remember size) rebar,wire, fiber
17k inc material 3 years ago.

With the info given I come up with a total of 61 yards of concrete. This is the footing and slab only. Concrete slurry in block walls I do not know. Guessing that 61 yards may cost $100.00 a yard in N. Carolina. I come up with 920 blocks total. Guessing $1.05 per block , maybe $1400.00 block and mortar.
Probably under $10,000.00 in material cost which would include rebar, poly, wire mesh and the fill for block. $16000.00 for labor seems high. Being conservative I would think 4 finishers and 6 laborers could do the slab in one day. 6 laborers , finisher for footings , 1 day. Total about $3200.00 for labor.
Block layers total labor $6500.00. My best guess is $10,000 for labor. $16000.00 operating costs , profit etc. If my calculations are anywhere near correct I say the bid is too high. With $10,000.00 in material costs and $26,000.00 for contractor you will pay $36000.00 or so.

mike

I would at least double the height of that footing. Concrete is so cheap for features like that. Make the footing thick and don't ever worry about it. Might add $500 to the cost. I did a monolithic slab and went 24" x 24" for the footing tapered back to 6-8" with rebar.

I did all my concrete myself (with good friends help I should say) because I could not afford today's labor prices. The prices I was getting were materials times 3 to 5 for labor just for flatwork (me doing all the prep and forms).

You definitely don't need a gym membership if you do it yourself.

I’m a little confused. Are they pouring a footing then building a block wall on top of the footing to either raise the slab or get the footing below the frost line?

Are they doing the following:
Grade site
Dig footings, install rebar,pour
Install block, rebar, pour
Place and compact M10 (base) under slab
Place barrier over M10
Install WWF?
Pour slab
Trowel slab
Cut crack control joints ( apply curing agent?)
Backfill and compact footings.

Also who pays for pump truck- it’s normally billed per yard, and in small towns can be billed with the concrete.

Final question- what’s going on the slab? A steel building will need anchor bolts and more footing under the posts. The precision involved adds to the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a little confused. Are they pouring a footing then building a block wall on top of the footing to either raise the slab or get the footing below the frost line?

Are they doing the following:
Grade site
Dig footings, install rebar,pour
Install block, rebar, pour
Place and compact M10 (base) under slab
Place barrier over M10
Install WWF?
Pour slab
Trowel slab
Cut crack control joints ( apply curing agent?)
Backfill and compact footings.

They are digging the footing, placing rebar, pouring footing. THen building block wall above.

Site is graded, they just dig footing
Build 2-5 foot block wall. Top course is bond bridge. Needs rebar from footer up to bond bridge then around bridge
Fill block with cement
Place and compact gravel.
Plastic barrier and wire mesh placement
Install expansion joints
Pour and trowel slab floor with slick finish
They did not mention backfill
I supply all materials, concrete, block, wire, gravel, etc.

They are digging the footing, placing rebar, pouring footing. THen building block wall above.

Site is graded, they just dig footing
Build 2-5 foot block wall. Top course is bond bridge. Needs rebar from footer up to bond bridge then around bridge
Fill block with cement
Place and compact gravel.
Plastic barrier and wire mesh placement
Install expansion joints
Pour and trowel slab floor with slick finish
They did not mention backfill
I supply all materials, concrete, block, wire, gravel, etc.

Could you simply do it all in one with re-usable forms, snap ties, and Jahn clips ?

Could you simply do it all in one with re-usable forms, snap ties, and Jahn clips ?

How do you do the inside of the walls?

I did a 4" stub wall on top of the 24" footing for my shop and that inside 4" was a lot of added work during finishing. I really can't imagine trying to pour 5' tall simultaneous to finishing a slab. Not like it's impossible, much tougher things have been accomplished, but it seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong for such a small job.

Back